sfsteel

Inshore Spinning Reel Recommendation?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Given the new slot limit and the fact that I now have a small boat to take to inshore spots, I am looking for a suggestion on a pair of smaller (2500-3000 class) spinning reels to throw artificials and eels. Most of my fishing the past several years has been bait fishing with conventional setups but I want to go really light with a couple spinning setups. I actually have a couple of rods that would be perfect. I've been looking at the Penn Clash/Spinfishers but I am sure there are others out there? I don't fish much Penn anymore and I've heard the quality of the product has gone downhill a bit out side the tuna reels? Maybe not true but some believe so. I have 4-5 bait runners but they are 4500+ size and I've never found them to be the best for casting. 

Can anyone suggest a reel and why they like it for a similar application? This is not an "open checkbook" type of purchase because I think the law of diminishing returns applies here, but I am happy to spend an extra 50 or even 100 bucks if it gets me a better product. 

picked up a daiwa ballistic 6000 about a month ago. picked it up after scoobdoo recommended highly. it comes in at around 11oz and very smooth reel. a little expensive though. i think the 2500-5000 would be more what your looking for.

I have a couple of 2500 Daiwa Ballistic reels I've used for trout and redfish for a couple of years and they perform very well.  You might also look at the Daiwa Saltist Back Bay LT which is aluminum frame.  Smallest size is 3000. 

I’m using old Stradic FJ and FK 2500-3000.  Have caught 1000s of schoolies from 7” (LOL) to 43”. Most in the 16”-25” range. 

Honestly, the rod matters a lot more than the reel. Carbontex drag washers are a good idea. 

4 mins ago, hookmeup said:

I’m using old Stradic FJ and FK 2500-3000.  Have caught 1000s of schoolies from 7” (LOL) to 43”. Most in the 16”-25” range. 

Honestly, the rod matters a lot more than the reel. Carbontex drag washers are a good idea. 

Which reel did you pair with 

I got penn spinfishers 3500,4500, and 6500.  The 3500 and 4500 I believe got similar guts, just the spool is bigger.

14oz weight If I remember.   Drag is pretty smooth too.  But before this I used to have cheap okuma reels for years mosty.

I love the sahara / sedona shimano line.  Although I only have the 2500 and 1000 series.  Daiwa BG is a good basic workhorse too.

I'd still lean towards a 3500 though......  Big fish do hit little baits too.......   You're gonna wish you had more line......  I put 20lb power pro on it.  I do have one with 30lb power-pro.  Not sure on the yardage, but it took a good number or cranks to fill her up.   I cast pretty well with them, but I do think there's better setups for casting than spinfishers.  I make them work.  I ran out of line on my 6500 live liner last april.  I used my 3500 that I use with a sabiki rig as a chunking reel.   Reeled in a fat bellied 34" mama striper in 25ft of water just fine.  Temps were well into the 50's, so she was lively.  That was with the 20lb power pro......

I fish the summer and fall in RI mostly.  Little bubblegum colored stuff has worked well for me.  small sluggos.  I usually run a blue / silver herring colored jig with a bubblegum Fin-s teaser.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish from a boat mostly so I can get away with 6’6” or 7’ rods. I switch between St. Croix AIS66MF  and TIS70MHF. 
a

From the shore/sod banks, I would try the Star stellar 7’6”. Heard good things. Also from the shore I would go up to a 4000 or 5000 and up line from 10-15 # to 20-30# braid

Edited by hookmeup
Add more info

On my second season with a Daiwa BG and a Penn Battle.  Fourth season with a Cabelas metal Saltstriker spinner (made by Quantum i think). Also have a spinfisher V which gets used less because it is bigger (read heavier).  This year I added a Shimano Stradic.  All are used from my boat. Penn was a little under $100, BG a little over and the Stradic was about $200. They don't make the Cabelas reel any more but it was $100 too. The Cabelas, Penn and BG have caught a LOT of schoolie stripers and bluefish.  Fair number of black sea bass as well.  All are holding up just fine.  They get splashed a lot but not dunked.  Always rinse them with fresh water when I get home but they stay on the boat.  All are around 3000 size (don't remember the exact sizes).  

If you are fishing from a boat and inshore you don't need to spend more than $200.

4 mins ago, hookmeup said:

I fish from a boat mostly so I can get away with 6’6” or 7’ rods. I switch between St. Croix AIS66MF  and TIS70MHF. 
a

From the shore/sod banks, I would try the Star stellar 7’6”. Heard good things. Also from the shore I would go up to a 4000 or 5000 and up line from 10-15 # to 20-30# braid

I am a boat guy as well... I have other set ups for shore casting which i dont do a ton of 

Just saw your post change.....

Check out the shimano Talavera rods.  I have a liking toward cork handles.  I got a 7ft.  Forgot if it was medium or the medium heavy.  15-30lb line sound familiar and thats the medium.....

Awesome rod for $75 or so.......   Think I got a clearance one at tickle direct for like $55.  Was their display rod.

Wish it had an inch or two less butt, only for the kayak.  Otherwise it's perfect.  I raised the seat on my pescador pilot 12.0, so I might not complain about the butt length.  Perfect rod for a small rowboat or center console.

Not in anyways an expert on drifting and jigging.  But, the rod performed very well for me on a fluke party boat and a few live bait drifting weekend trips for smallmouths in the adirondacks.   Although I used the same 3500 with 10lb mono for that trip.  I got spare spools I can swap out.

Not an expert on smaller spinning reel by no means, but was recommended a Penn Conflict II 3000 and am very happy with it for the last couple of years.

You mention the the Penn Spinfishers, I personally love them, never an issue. I've got the 2500 model, and the 4500, the previous generation, not the newer one. I've caught many schoolies on that 4500 model, and lots of LMB on the 2500.

Maybe also look at the new Stradic FL. I personally don't own the new model yet, I have other Stradics in small sizes, and I love those. Once this virus crap clears over, I'd like to go pickup the new Stradic, and maybe  throw it on the new ODM 7'6 DNA backbay.