hunter123

Cheeky reel

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking at getting a new reel for a 7' 5"  4/5 wt rod I use for small streams. I'm looking at the Cheeky 300 reel. Looks like it would fill the bill for me. Plus it's made in America. Any one use them, Pro's and con's. Thank you.

I use a Cheeky for my saltwater set up, have always loved it, very smooth drag. I've had my eye on one of the trout versions but have never pulled the trigger.

Just now, bigredgolf said:

I use a Cheeky for my saltwater set up, have always loved it, very smooth drag. I've had my eye on one of the trout versions but have never pulled the trigger.

Thank you. I'll probably go with the Cheeky. Bass pro has them for $ 109.00. But I hate dealing with them. I'll try to find a Fly shop that handles them and order one from them .

Are you sure about the made in America? Not familiar with the reel and it is probably fine but I would be surprised if it was made in the states.

They're closed for now and not shipping anything, but if you feel like waiting, Sierra Trading Post had a bunch of Cheeky reels.  I can't remember exactly which ones, but signing up for their emails usually gets you 25% off like once a week.

Cheeky reels are made overseas.  They only made USA reels in the very beginning.  Any they were not $100.

The only USA made reel close to the $100 mark it made by Lamson.  At that price point some of the parts are made overseas.  The higher priced reels they make are USA made.  

If you are looking for a US made reel then you might consider a Galvan Brookie or a Ross Animas. Bears Den just posted they are having a 20% off sale on Ross reels.