Angler #1

Beards and Mustaches and Corona

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Some are touting that those who grow beards and mustaches may well increase the chances they if in contact with a carrier may hold the virus for a longer period of time because of the facial hair ?  Especially if they became infected by air bourne discharges.  I have not shaved my Beard and Mustache for four some weeks now and was wondering if any one could collaborate this as a fact?   Is it safer to be clean shaven as apposed to have hair on the skin? Peace and Prayers

I am a healthcare practitioner for one of the major Boston hospitals (I'm at a satellite site outside of Boston so luckily not in the mess down there.  If **** hits the fan, I'll get the emergency call to head in down there).

As far as your beard question, beards have been shown to be a carrier of different bacteria.  In this particular case if there is airborne discharge, the likelihood of it remaining on your beard (assuming you're close enough) would be very high.

Another issue with beards is their ability to fit over one's face.  When I first went to work, our occupational health department requires us to get a proper fit for an N95 mask and require us to have no facial hair.  In scenarios like the Covid situation, when I see a person wearing a mask with a heavy beard, it's basically doing nothing as there's no tight fit around the nose or mouth.  So if you do decide to don a mask, a clean shaven face will allow for a tighter fit.

......Don't even get me started on the usage of gloves.

Posted (edited) · Report post

FB_IMG_1585314839234.jpg

Not sure how accurate this rather silly looking chart is, but it would seem to make sense that a thick full beard would make a tight seal hard to achieve. 

That said I have a beard, not a very thick one, but when I do demo at work I wear an N95 mask and find virtually no dust or dirt in my nose at the end of the day. Nothing coming out when I blow my nose, and nothing on the Q-tips I use to make sure the inside of my nose is clean (some of these old homes can have asbestos, mold, and other nasty stuff buried in the walls etc). But it does sound like clean shaven is the way to go in this situation.

Edited by Chunkah

1 hour ago, Theiceman33 said:

I am a healthcare practitioner for one of the major Boston hospitals (I'm at a satellite site outside of Boston so luckily not in the mess down there.  If **** hits the fan, I'll get the emergency call to head in down there).

As far as your beard question, beards have been shown to be a carrier of different bacteria.  In this particular case if there is airborne discharge, the likelihood of it remaining on your beard (assuming you're close enough) would be very high.

Another issue with beards is their ability to fit over one's face.  When I first went to work, our occupational health department requires us to get a proper fit for an N95 mask and require us to have no facial hair.  In scenarios like the Covid situation, when I see a person wearing a mask with a heavy beard, it's basically doing nothing as there's no tight fit around the nose or mouth.  So if you do decide to don a mask, a clean shaven face will allow for a tighter fit.

......Don't even get me started on the usage of gloves.

When they were issuing the instructions for wearing a respirator, it was noted that you will not get a solid fit if you had a beard . They are correct. One way to check how tight the mask is fitting  is to block off the filters and see if you can obtain any air . If you can then that means you do not have a secured facial fit and that the virus would come in between the facial hair , thus leaving the respirator inadequate in protecting you and or giving the virus to some one else should you not know you are a carrier and are wearing the respirator with that intent.   I can imagine the N95 mask is even more critical as it is made from soft cloth .   Good inputs Peace and Prayers   

I have a business idea. Anti bacteria spray or lotion for beards, mustaches and hair. Maybe a nice shampoo too. I’m no doctor but I would think facial hair would hold more nasty things. Agree with the mask seal.

I went through major surgery 12 years ago, they did not shave of my beard, they were able to get a full seal around my face.  I am sure tecknology has improved since then...……….

I have read that by breathing through your nose, your are less susceptible to germs than breathing through your mouth.   The reason, your nose hairs filter out virus/colds/flu etc.

When I walk by people coughing I normally hold my breath, & breath through my nose afterwards for a while....even more conscious about that now than before.

I think it has been helping me from catching colds for many years?

Edited by bb1

3 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Duck Dynasty has come and gone,shave em up guys.

Haven't seen my chin since 1977.:eek:

Edited by theshadow

6 hours ago, b-ware said:

I went through major surgery 12 years ago, they did not shave of my beard, they were able to get a full seal around my face. 

Was that when they removed your hemerrhoids?

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Was that when they removed your hemerrhoids?

Round one goes to Bob...…………..heh heh heh...….....

3 hours ago, bb1 said:

I have read that by breathing through your nose, your are less susceptible to germs than breathing through your mouth.   The reason, your nose hairs filter out virus/colds/flu etc.

if you're nose hairs are dense enough to filter out airborne pathogens, you've got bigger problems to deal with...:howdy: