keith42069

When is it ok to give up on a spot?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, adams54 said:

Bloodworms work well. Cant catch what isn't there. Sorry to hear it hasnt worked. If you follow all the advice in the thread you will score.

“Can’t catch what isn’t there” is my entire problem. I feel like i can’t find any solid producing spots, and i can’t figure out when I’m allowed to say “nothing’s here”. I’m struggling to make the distinction between “I’m doing something wrong” and “there’s just no fish”, and what it boils down to is that I’m basically teaching myself. I have tons of friends and family who “love fishing” and have been going their whole lives, they go “all the time”, but none of them ever come out with me, so I’m just out there alone to figure it out when all i really need is someone who knows better to say “this is what needs to be different”

Also for anyone seeing this, a lot of people say sunrise/set, and a lot say look at the tides. If they don’t line up which should i go by? Is it smarter to go out every day an hour before sunset, or an hour before peak tide?

4 hours ago, keith42069 said:

Also for anyone seeing this, a lot of people say sunrise/set, and a lot say look at the tides. If they don’t line up which should i go by? Is it smarter to go out every day an hour before sunset, or an hour before peak tide?

Smarter to go an hour before/after sunrise/sunset 

5 hours ago, keith42069 said:

If you have the ability to go out that often do both.One day fish the sunset the other fish the tide.

33 mins ago, Bigred78 said:

If you have the ability to go out that often do both.One day fish the sunset the other fish the tide.

Honestly if it weren’t for the virus i could probably pull it off. I’m currently not working so i can get to a spot whenever i can find/buy a ride, but the docs consider me immunosuppressed so they really don’t want me out

17 hours ago, codyk35 said:

my friend was over today at sunset and got 2 really small ones on bloodworms. like you said they can get expensive though. by may should be able to hit em on artificials n other bait.

Does he cast straight off the point towards the bridge or off to one side? I was trying to look at depth maps and it seems like there’s deep pools in both spots 

You ask great questions Keith, and I admire yer drive. Any other time I read yer OP and I'm PM'ing you to say I will take you out myself tomorrow. But the whole world's gone mad and times have changed. 

Take heart in the fact that you've just ben missing in the timing and/or bait. Not anything wrong, but fishing is all about timing. Hence the guy at the tackle shop that tells you "Oh, ya shoulda been here ( insert yesterday, this morning, whatever )" . You might well have the right bait/lure, but the tide and or time is wrong, or even the wind,  and the fish have moved from yer spot. 

I read this thread and am forced to think about being confined to a spot to fish, versus how fully mobile I am, and I am humbled. When this is over, I will take you fishing somewhere. 

All that said, just keep plugging away with the 8 'er that you have. It's fine, but the 30# mono is overkill. Depending on yer reel, I would go right down to 17# or 15# mono. Braid is great, but's something for you to learn after you learn how to catch the fish ;) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, keith42069 said:

Does he cast straight off the point towards the bridge or off to one side? I was trying to look at depth maps and it seems like there’s deep pools in both spots 

he was on the smaller blue pier just casting out into the bay. he said hes noticed they can be on either side really or straight out but sunset seems to be best. i went out to the same spot maybe 5-10 times in march and didnt get anything. the 32 inch striper im holding in my pic was off the surf in IBSP last year on a $40 8ft ugly stick from walmart. was out for prolly 4 hours. caught it right as it was getting dark after not a tap the entire time. literally "one more cast". i think the saying luck is when persistence meets oppurtunity rings even truer for fishing.

Edited by codyk35

6 mins ago, codyk35 said:

i think the saying luck is when persistence meets oppurtunity rings even truer for fishing.

Truer words were never spoken. 

6 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

You ask great questions Keith, and I admire yer drive. Any other time I read yer OP and I'm PM'ing you to say I will take you out myself tomorrow. But the whole world's gone mad and times have changed. 

Take heart in the fact that you've just ben missing in the timing and/or bait. Not anything wrong, but fishing is all about timing. Hence the guy at the tackle shop that tells you "Oh, ya shoulda been here ( insert yesterday, this morning, whatever )" . You might well have the right bait/lure, but the tide and or time is wrong, or even the wind,  and the fish have moved from yer spot. 

I read this thread and am forced to think about being confined to a spot to fish, versus how fully mobile I am, and I am humbled. When this is over, I will take you fishing somewhere. 

All that said, just keep plugging away with the 8 'er that you have. It's fine, but the 30# mono is overkill. Depending on yer reel, I would go right down to 17# or 15# mono. Braid is great, but's something for you to learn after you learn how to catch the fish ;) 

I originally had 20 on it, but the Manasquan Inlet kept eating my rigs and when i bumped it to 30 i was able to pull my line free way more often. I thought 15 seemed really light for a 60 but looking closer it actually says “250 yd 17 lbs” as a rating. This is mainly my bait pole though, it’s medium heavy 1-4 oz so i usually use it with sinkers. My lure pole is a Shakespeare Tiger Walmart special, I got the spinning version, not the spin cast, for like $20. 7’ medium action, i saw her in the store for so cheap i couldn’t help it, its a great setup i use for catfishing, I’ve had people on the docks tell me it’d be a good Striper pole too. I also have one of those 2” ugly stik dock runners with 10lb on it, the plan was to use it for vertical jigging but the spots i go to don’t look deep enough for me to just drop in with it.

Ive considered braid but I’ve heard that it can slice/rip a lot more easily on rocks than mono, i go to the Inlet a lot and it seems pretty rocky down there

Still a noob here but keep going at it.  I usually go every weekend and it cost me about $150 or so every time I go fishing so you are lot better spot than I am.  :)  It gets worse during winter time since I pay party boat for me and my son.

Did lot of fresh water fishing before kids which was about 20 years ago and me and my son started salt water fishing in 2018.

Not many were caught in 2018 and no keeper of anything although we had fun.  Well, 1 accidental Triggerfish but it doesn't have limit so that doesn't count.

Things changed in 2019 since we had learned thing or 2 from 2018.  Caught first keeper fluke of 20.5" from a pier, PB of 19" tog from jetty and all the other keeper and none keeper size fish.  Still have lot to learn and try but definite key is keep going at it and learn from mistake/learn new things lead me to getting 2 keeper fluke and many keeper togs on 2019  

I still have my first Striper to catch too.  :)  I did catch one before but that doesn't count since it was accidental catch not to mention not a keeper size either.  Some times, only thing it takes is that first catch! then Bam! you constantly catch after that.

Good luck with your catch!  As much as noob I am, I would have taken you out couple of spots I go to catch but this crazy times is bursting everyone's bubble.