When is it ok to give up on a spot?

Rate this topic

keith42069

Hey guys, so there’s a dock in Seaside Park that I’ve been told is a good Striper spot, I’ve had a few different people tell me to go there, and I’ve seen people fish there. But I’ve never even gotten a bite there, and I’ve never seen anyone else get a bite there. I’d say I’ve fished this dock 20 times over the last year, I’ve never gotten any result at all. I use bloodworms, i use bunker, i use clams, i use spearring, i use plugs and darters and minnows and jigs, I’ve watched all John Skinner’s videos, based on theory i am doing everything right. At what point can i say “this dock is bust?” What’re the odds that there aren’t fish there vs I’ve never once thrown something they’re interested in? Just based on probability it feels like i should give up and find somewhere else, but the predominant beginner Striper advice is “don’t stop trying”.

I’m completely lost, and now with the quarantine all of the “fishermen” I’m friends with won’t go with me (not that they ever did), and all the spots are dead, so it’s just me alone out there trying to figure it out. 

For the record I’ve never caught a Striper, never gotten a bite from one even. Last year my season total for saltwater fish was 5, i started going out in May, stopped in September, and went at least once a week.

I feel like inshore fishing is a myth, the only time i ever see or hear of inshore catches are from surf fishing which i can’t do both because I’m disabled and because the beaches are closed. Besides that it seems like in order to catch a saltwater fish i need a boat with a sonar 

3 hours ago, keith42069 said:

Hey guys, so there’s a dock in Seaside Park that I’ve been told is a good Striper spot, I’ve had a few different people tell me to go there, and I’ve seen people fish there. But I’ve never even gotten a bite there, and I’ve never seen anyone else get a bite there. I’d say I’ve fished this dock 20 times over the last year, I’ve never gotten any result at all. I use bloodworms, i use bunker, i use clams, i use spearring, i use plugs and darters and minnows and jigs, I’ve watched all John Skinner’s videos, based on theory i am doing everything right. At what point can i say “this dock is bust?” What’re the odds that there aren’t fish there vs I’ve never once thrown something they’re interested in? Just based on probability it feels like i should give up and find somewhere else, but the predominant beginner Striper advice is “don’t stop trying”.

I’m completely lost, and now with the quarantine all of the “fishermen” I’m friends with won’t go with me (not that they ever did), and all the spots are dead, so it’s just me alone out there trying to figure it out. 

For the record I’ve never caught a Striper, never gotten a bite from one even. Last year my season total for saltwater fish was 5, i started going out in May, stopped in September, and went at least once a week.

I feel like inshore fishing is a myth, the only time i ever see or hear of inshore catches are from surf fishing which i can’t do both because I’m disabled and because the beaches are closed. Besides that it seems like in order to catch a saltwater fish i need a boat with a sonar 

if its the one of two piers im thinking of, there is definitely fish there. never caught one at the location myself but a friend was there a week or two ago and got a few on bloodworms. keep trying sunrise and sunset through april and id be shocked if you didnt snag a few.

Edited by codyk35

12 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

you are fishing at the wrong times for stripers. In general the Summer is not real good try the back bays this time of year and in the fall in September you should be fishing out front for blue fish and fluke. 

I am fishing in the back bays and i am fishing this time of year, your comment kind of confused me. Last summer i was fishing for everything, i change with the season. Right now i hear about Striper being caught so I’m looking for them

11 hours ago, codyk35 said:

if its the one of two piers im thinking of, there is definitely fish there. never caught one at the location myself but a friend was there a week or two ago and got a few on bloodworms. keep trying sunrise and sunset through april and id be shocked if you didnt snag a few.

The one I’m at has the guard rails and the rod holders. I’ve also decided after wasting about $50 that I’m not going to use bloodworms as bait. I keep getting skunked with them and they’re too expensive to keep wasting, everyone says they’re the absolute best but they don’t work for me, and I’ve heard as many people recommend Clam and Bunker as Worms. If i got bites it’d be a different story, but it’s costing me basically $15 a trip for nothing

33 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

skinners videos dont apply to that area in terms of lures. The fish are all small and keyed in on small baits. Keep at it there, you'll figure it out eventually. 

Interesting that you recommend small baits (and to a further extent small hooks). I was at the tackle shop before they all closed down, a guy was trying to buy 2/0 Striper rigs and the employee was like “no what’re you doing those are too small, you need something like 6/0 for Striper” which seemed wrong to me. I figured he works at a tackle store and knew what he was doing but 6/0 seem kind of huge for small early season fish

14 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

I would recommend that you try 3" storm shads in that area. Just cast out and reel in slowly. Was it grumpy himself?

I have 3” bunker storm shads, I’ll give them a try. I have a MTB subscription too so i have more than a few soft paddle/split tail baits i can try if there’s any specific colors i should work. And idk who grumpy is, but my story happened at Murphy’s on Rt 37

You mentioned you're disabled and cant fish the surf.

Maybe you can find someone to help you on the surf.   I used to help an older gentleman fish for a few years when I lived on Long Island.

Wounded Warrior or the local beach buggy club might be able to help you out.

Far as bloodworms.   Buy some rubber bloodworms and a bottle of lunker lotion in bloodworm.   Get a quality resealable bag, put some lotion and a dozen fake worms in.   Swap out the worms to keep the bait fresh.

Typically, bloodworms would be found by fish foraging the bays on a rising tide.   Or, they could be a bite of opportunity passing by a fish.

Also, baitfishing in my experience happens quick or it doesn't.  Put a bait in there for a few minutes, then cast it in another spot.

Look up reading the surf on youtube.   Most fish fishermen catch are warriors.   They may march in a big wave, or they hide in the bushes.    Stripers and flounder hide in the bushes often.

Baitfish in a manner where the bait moves around produces more luck.  When I chunk on the surf, I cast out, then bring it in every 2 or 3 minutes a few cranks.   Maybe 3 or 4 crankings, then recast.

Point pleasant inlet in late august and septmeber can be fun for flounder.....  

23 hours ago, keith42069 said:

The one I’m at has the guard rails and the rod holders. I’ve also decided after wasting about $50 that I’m not going to use bloodworms as bait. I keep getting skunked with them and they’re too expensive to keep wasting, everyone says they’re the absolute best but they don’t work for me, and I’ve heard as many people recommend Clam and Bunker as Worms. If i got bites it’d be a different story, but it’s costing me basically $15 a trip for nothing

Bloodworms work well. Cant catch what isn't there. Sorry to hear it hasnt worked. If you follow all the advice in the thread you will score.

7 hours ago, salt deficient said:

You mentioned you're disabled and cant fish the surf.

Maybe you can find someone to help you on the surf.   I used to help an older gentleman fish for a few years when I lived on Long Island.

Wounded Warrior or the local beach buggy club might be able to help you out.

Far as bloodworms.   Buy some rubber bloodworms and a bottle of lunker lotion in bloodworm.   Get a quality resealable bag, put some lotion and a dozen fake worms in.   Swap out the worms to keep the bait fresh.

Typically, bloodworms would be found by fish foraging the bays on a rising tide.   Or, they could be a bite of opportunity passing by a fish.

Also, baitfishing in my experience happens quick or it doesn't.  Put a bait in there for a few minutes, then cast it in another spot.

Look up reading the surf on youtube.   Most fish fishermen catch are warriors.   They may march in a big wave, or they hide in the bushes.    Stripers and flounder hide in the bushes often.

Baitfish in a manner where the bait moves around produces more luck.  When I chunk on the surf, I cast out, then bring it in every 2 or 3 minutes a few cranks.   Maybe 3 or 4 crankings, then recast.

Point pleasant inlet in late august and septmeber can be fun for flounder.....  

i wasn’t disabled in any valorous way, I’m assuredly not a wounded warrior, i was just born like this. I’d be extremely remiss to let anyone think i was a veteran (not to mention I’d be breaking the law)

All the bait stores by me are closed, that’s another thing that makes the rubber worms more enticing. I’ve also had some people on Reddit say they use frozen shrimp from the grocery store and salt them for Striper bait, it’s cheap enough that I’m thinking of trying it

I wanted to try surf this year, my main problem is that i really can’t stand or walk on sand, so i can have someone bring me out and help me into a chair, but as soon as a stray wave moves any of my gear I’m in serious trouble. I looked online and those pvc beach wheelchairs average around $1500... disgusting.

I’ve also had people tell me my rod is too short, my longest is 8 feet. It’s a Berkeley Big Game paired with a Quantum Optix, i have 30lb mono on it, it’s definitely strong enough but i don’t know if i could cast past the breakers with it.

Ive also heard that the beaches are all closed, i don’t think we’re allowed to go surf fishing for a little, unless i pay to get in IBSP 

Lastly the inlet is a whole different story, I’ve been battling that water for a couple years. I never can pull anything out consistently. I’ve gotten some awesome stuff there (my first and only dogfish so far, around 24”) but my odds in that spot are about 20:1. From what i heard and saw it was pretty dead last year though, usually days when i didn’t catch anything no one else there did either