harley48

Penn 50TW line setup BFT

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I’ve been running 65lb braid with a top shot on my 30’s and It works well for schoolie BFT’s. I’ve got a couple 50TW’s that I procured and have read a few different line setups. Straight 80lb braid to a top shot, dacron backing to 50lb momoi, straight 50lb momoi. I’m sure there are others, what’s you guys opinion on the optimal line setup for BFT?

42 mins ago, harley48 said:

I’ve been running 65lb braid with a top shot on my 30’s and It works well for schoolie BFT’s. I’ve got a couple 50TW’s that I procured and have read a few different line setups. Straight 80lb braid to a top shot, dacron backing to 50lb momoi, straight 50lb momoi. I’m sure there are others, what’s you guys opinion on the optimal line setup for BFT?

For trolling or chunking or both?

55 mins ago, MakoMike said:

For trolling or chunking or both?

I have two 30’s setup for trolling and 2 for chunking. I was thinking chunking with the 50’s 

5 mins ago, makorider said:

I run 100 # jerry brown with maybe 150 yd topshot

Gives you options if you want to troll a wwb

How many yards of JB? 

21 mins ago, harley48 said:

How many yards of JB? 

I don't remember honestly.  It was a number of years ago.  Enough that if I ever get close to the arbor, I may just toss it lol.  But seriously, thats the beauty, just replace the topshot, the braid lasts near forever.  

22 mins ago, makorider said:

I don't remember honestly.  It was a number of years ago.  Enough that if I ever get close to the arbor, I may just toss it lol.  But seriously, thats the beauty, just replace the topshot, the braid lasts near forever.  

I’ll use a line calculator, I appreciate the advice! 

7 mins ago, harley48 said:

I’ll use a line calculator, I appreciate the advice! 

Good, let me know how much line I have lol

Buddy has a big, commercial reel spooler.  We drank a bunch of beers and loaded a ton of reels when he got it.  I really can't remember what the 50s took, everything is mixed up in my head at this point.

6 mins ago, makorider said:

Good, let me know how much line I have lol

Buddy has a big, commercial reel spooler.  We drank a bunch of beers and loaded a ton of reels when he got it.  I really can't remember what the 50s took, everything is mixed up in my head at this point.

Lol sounds like how I roll! It looks like it’ll easily hold 1500 yards with a 150 yard top shot. 

15 hours ago, harley48 said:

I have two 30’s setup for trolling and 2 for chunking. I was thinking chunking with the 50’s 

Then just fill then with 80 pound jinkai. You won't need a top shot unless they are extremely line shy, just tie the hoo right on the line.

I put 750 yards of 100lb powerpro on my 50TW's and had plenty of room for a 100 yard jinkai windon/topshot. I wound up buying two 1500 yard spools. Split it in half for the 50TW's and in thirds for the 50T's. 

The 50TW’s hold 850 yards of 50# mono which has a .070mm diameter. 100# JB has a diameter of .043mm. Even with 150 yards of 100# momoi you should easily fit 1500 yards of JB. 

U won't get 1500yds plus top shot on it.  Prolly more like 800-900 with a 150yd top shot.  

I do 600yds plus 200+ yd topshots of of 80 or 100.  We mostly troll so like long top shots here in jersey.