Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kent I

No boating in Maryland!

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

DNR is interpreting Gov Hogan’s stay at home proclamation to cover recreational boating, including rec fishing (yeah, kayaks too). You can still fish from the bank if you have a spot that’s not a park or other gathering place. Tough on us I guess, but couldn’t happen at a better time for the bass. 

A ridiculous measure. How on earth is an individual aboard a boat in a sparsely inhabited ocean a candidate for the spread of disease? People need to speak up in the name of common sense. I can still go to a crowded grocery store, though. 

6 mins ago, Seadogg said:

A ridiculous measure. How on earth is an individual aboard a boat in a sparsely inhabited ocean a candidate for the spread of disease? People need to speak up in the name of common sense. I can still go to a crowded grocery store, though. 

There are a lot of different factors to consider - one, the likelihood that you'll require emergency services in one way or another (no responsible boater should, but if you've been on the water you know there are plenty of irresponsible ones).  Then, there's congestion at launch points, marinas.

I don't think it's purely 'hey, we're afraid you'll get coronavirus on the boat'.  I'm pretty sure they realize the economic impact of shutting it down too.

In my area the marine first responders are all still active, so there’s that. I think it’s a knee jerk reaction and nothing more. 

I can’t say it’s killing me. This time of year the action is mostly trolling, which I find to be about as interesting a mowing the lawn, only with a lot more infrastructure, and many of the fish are cows on the way to Sesquehanna Flats to replenish the stock, which I don’t want to catch anyway. 

Our guidance and access is mixed; ramps run by NC State Parks closed today but most of the state owned ramps are NC Wildlife Resources Commission, they remain open.  Federal ramps (Corps of Engineers) on some lakes and navigable waterways are open (as far as I know) and some are closed.  Hiked down to a US Forest Service ramp this afternoon and it is still open.  Individual town and city ramps vary by jurisdiction.  The guidance below I just downloaded from NC WRC.  OH

84342920-07F5-48D1-981F-0C459099E045.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hate to say I told ya'll so but it's happening all across the nation.

You're going to have to creep in the night like Bill Murray's character on the golf course hunting gophers but in this case just to go fishing.

I never envisioned this scenario but I kinda saw it coming....friggin' weird!

And that's all she wrote!

5e83de316c525_billmurraycarlspacklercaddyshack2020.jpg.783ef3f91547a12f6a1fd622f0f4ba82.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

Apparently fishing, boating, and kayaking are all allowed under certain circumstances. From maryland.gov:

Can I go fishing?

Limited fishing is allowed if you are seeking food for you or your family, but the social distancing guidelines and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.

Can I go boating?

Recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted. Boats used to transport essential employees or goods as defined in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce are also permitted. 

Does kayaking or paddle boarding count as recreational boating?

Since kayaking and paddle boarding are a form of exercise, they are permitted under the executive order. Guidance on social distancing and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.  

Let's face it - if access is lost, it'll be because of the same reason it's always lost - because a few idiots can't follow the rules.  I don't think the police would go out and round up guys fishing by themselves, safely on a beach at night without crowding up like a bunch of morons.

I fully believe everyone on SOL isn't the type to get stuck out on a jetty during a storm, or go kayaking without a PFD, or heading out as crowds to go fishing.  I'll spot you that the population here is responsible, knows better and won't pose a risk to themselves or the public in pursuit of fishing.

What percentage of the general population does SOL make?  Ever go to a beach that's crowded and have a look around?  Ever see someone standing on a jetty in flip flops during a storm when the tide is rising, knowing full well that moron is going to get stuck or fall off and need to have someone bail them out or drown?  Ever see the mess some people leave in their wake, with trash and tackle left behind?  You know how many boobs are going to go out fishing together and then later make the claim that they live together and don't have to worry about social distancing?

It's one less thing that law enforcement and emergency services need to worry about.  I'm sure they're stressed as well, and would benefit from having whatever isn't essential taken off of their plate.

I hate missing out on fishing as much as the next guy, if not more.  My season goes from May to Oct at best, and fishing's my only hobby.  This massively sucks, but this whole virus situation is going to need some sacrifice for it to get better rather than much worse.  There are people putting their lives in danger, trying to provide healthcare for sick people, to keep food moving through the supply chain.  I get to sit on my fat a** at home and watch Netflix, and lament about missing my fishing season.  I don't think it's too much to ask that we try to be a part of the solution and not the problem.

12 hours ago, Seadogg said:

People need to speak up in the name of common sense. I can still go to a crowded grocery store, though. 

Common sense is staying home and not complaining about the measures the government needs to take to keep you and your family as safe as possible.  

If the medical system in your area is not overwhelmed now it will likely be shortly. People need to eat, they don’t need to fo fishing.  

You appear to be lacking common sense. 

They don’t want you leaving the house... that’s the point.  Yeah, you can go to the grocery store - that’s so you don’t starve.

Taking out the boat for most people means a gas stop, a food stop, the ramp experience and all of the same in reverse at the end of the day.  Plus all the unforeseens.

You’ve caught fish before.  You’ll catch them again.  So you have to do something else for a month... this too will pass.

I was just reading on here that a guy went to fish a small pond.  Some kid walked up and asked him to rig a bait for him.  

If you are in a position where human interaction can take place, it probably will.

19 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Common sense is staying home and not complaining about the measures the government needs to take to keep you and your family as safe as possible.  

If the medical system in your area is not overwhelmed now it will likely be shortly. People need to eat, they don’t need to fo fishing.  

You appear to be lacking common sense. 

If we can be trusted by the government to safely and responsibly navigate a crowded grocery store, for example, we should be entrusted to launch a boat at a ramp and use said boat to isolate ourselves on the water. If the boat ramp is crowded, stay in your truck and wait your turn. Don’t beach the boat in crowded areas. Don’t bring friends. Common sense practices... If you’re not contacting people, you’re not at risk. And so we’re clear, I’m taking this event very seriously, but there’s a limit to what I believe is responsible limitations by the government and those that are just plain silly. 

12 hours ago, Seadogg said:

If you have so much time and energy why don’t you go volunteer to cook food for hospital workers?

1 min ago, Seadogg said:

If we can be trusted by the government to safely and responsibly navigate a crowded grocery store, for example, we should be entrusted to launch a boat at a ramp and use said boat to isolate ourselves on the water. If the boat ramp is crowded, stay in your truck and wait your turn. Don’t beach the boat in crowded areas. Don’t bring friends. Common sense practices... If you’re not contacting people, you’re not at risk. And so we’re clear, I’m taking this event very seriously, but there’s a limit to what I believe is responsible limitations by the government and those that are just plain silly. 

You really can’t argue with stupid.