JahDW

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ or Stradic FL

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Looking at these two in 2500 size... the specs look very similar and so does the price.  Anyone have experience with both?  I can't decide.

I have both, honestly I like fishing the ci4 better. Nothing against the FL but I find myself always reaching for the ci4 first. 

I have a 4K ci4 I use for everything fresh and salt, handles bass up to 37” and albies the only thing I can’t stand is how easy( at least mine) the roller bearing starts to get noisey. 

I use ci4 3k for freshwater, fluking and back bay fishing and love it, super light and smooth reel. I had it for 3 years, no issues, still smooth like new and never been serviced.

I also have FL 5k that i paired with 8' odm dna for calm surf and back bay.

Both reels are awesome.

If i were to choose between FL and ci4 in 2500 size i would go with ci4 because it is lighter. Go with 3k size, it has same body size as 2500 but larger spool and also the knob is bigger on 3k. 

13 hours ago, JahDW said:

Looking at these two in 2500 size... the specs look very similar and so does the price.  Anyone have experience with both?  I can't decide.

Have em both except in 4 and 5k sizes. I would say hands down the new Stradic FL. But then again they are 2 diff reels. I guess it depends on what your using them for. I use my FL for stripers and love it.  

Likewise, have the 4k CI4 and 5k FL. From what I remember, I changed out the drag washers and handle knob on the CI4. I was good to go on the FL out of the box. My preference is the FL.

16 hours ago, Bunker_Bill13 said:

I have a 4K ci4 I use for everything fresh and salt, handles bass up to 37” and albies the only thing I can’t stand is how easy( at least mine) the roller bearing starts to get noisey. 

I have the same issue with all of mine, actually, most of my Stradics have this happen to them sooner than later.  Not complaining, killer reel.  I have three in the 3000 size.  I Would definitely recommend it.  

I have owned both, they are great reels but given the choice, and price being equal I would go with the Ci4+. It is a lighter reel and I'll grant you its only so by ~ 1 ounce but I personally obsess over weight when I am putting together a light tackle setup so a 15% difference to me is noticeable if you are casting all day.