davedodge

Tog?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I know it's still early. I am wondering if anyone has heard of anyone catching tog yet. With the mild winter I am hoping they will be in a little early this year.

Im looking forward to targeting some tog from my kayak this year.  Hoping to get my first one! any pointers on set up? Iv read people have been pretty successful with jigs, any specific size or color work for you guys?

1 hour ago, KujoRasta said:

Im looking forward to targeting some tog from my kayak this year.  Hoping to get my first one! any pointers on set up? Iv read people have been pretty successful with jigs, any specific size or color work for you guys?

I use "Tidal Tailz Jigz" on my charter boat with great success. The size is determined by the conditions (current, depth, swing/wind, etc.). From a kayak you are a bit hampered as you need to anchor on structure. One of the keys to successful tog fishing is keeping your bait still for a bit. That is somewhat more difficult in a yak. Do you have a bottom machine and a way to anchor over 15-40 feet of water?

First off, can you do all that safely? If you do not have the anchor or the fishfinder machine, set up just offshore of a rocky shoreline and try to stay still by paddling into the wind/current to maintain 0 speed over the bottom. Start with a 1 ounce jig and 1/2 to a whole crab (depending on the size-I like to take the top shell off either way). Go up or down on size as needed. The idea with the jig is to get the fish to pick up the bait and jig as one unit and swim off and swallow it with you not setting the hook until the whole thing is "past the lips". It takes a bit of practice so be patient.

Good luck!

19 mins ago, jason colby said:

I use "Tidal Tailz Jigz" on my charter boat with great success. The size is determined by the conditions (current, depth, swing/wind, etc.). From a kayak you are a bit hampered as you need to anchor on structure. One of the keys to successful tog fishing is keeping your bait still for a bit. That is somewhat more difficult in a yak. Do you have a bottom machine and a way to anchor over 15-40 feet of water?

First off, can you do all that safely? If you do not have the anchor or the fishfinder machine, set up just offshore of a rocky shoreline and try to stay still by paddling into the wind/current to maintain 0 speed over the bottom. Start with a 1 ounce jig and 1/2 to a whole crab (depending on the size-I like to take the top shell off either way). Go up or down on size as needed. The idea with the jig is to get the fish to pick up the bait and jig as one unit and swim off and swallow it with you not setting the hook until the whole thing is "past the lips". It takes a bit of practice so be patient.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the advice, its much appreciated.  I do have a bottom machine and an anchor w/trolley system.  Will definitely be heading out once the water warms up a bit.  Keep you guys posted.  

I’ve never fished for Tog in CC bay, I used to work headboats out of onset and knew buzzards bay pretty well. Not to ask for a spot burn, is there areas in CC bay that are good for Tog?

7 mins ago, harley48 said:

I’ve never fished for Tog in CC bay, I used to work headboats out of onset and knew buzzards bay pretty well. Not to ask for a spot burn, is there areas in CC bay that are good for Tog?

Pilings, rocks......

5 mins ago, harley48 said:

harley tog fishing in the CCBay has been almost non existing since I began to fish . The lack of structure has been the primary reason. On the other Hand once the tog moved into BB it was not uncommon for us to catch a mess inside the canal itself . Where you can find structures , you may have a chance with crabs sea worms on a hook or jig

14 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

harley tog fishing in the CCBay has been almost non existing since I began to fish . The lack of structure has been the primary reason. On the other Hand once the tog moved into BB it was not uncommon for us to catch a mess inside the canal itself . Where you can find structures , you may have a chance with crabs sea worms on a hook or jig

Yeah there’s not much in way of structure in the bay, that’s why I never really gave it a thought. Maybe out on the target ship?

10 mins ago, harley48 said:

Yeah there’s not much in way of structure in the bay, that’s why I never really gave it a thought. Maybe out on the target ship?

What is left from the target ship is just about all ruble not much that a tog would be hiding under any cover .  When they are moving from the offshore habitat some times they will inundate a shore line beach for a few days as they grub there way to the spawning place they choose to go to. Some of the South Facing Beaches like Poppy and South Cape , along with Craigville were once known for great early tog fishing and if you could get into the Kennedy grounds , you could find some nice fishing for a short period of time.  I would look to the shoreline rock piles and outlets where the jetties protect the ponds water flowing back and forth for a place to start . You have plenty of those places in and around Falmouth. How ever Falmouth has closed off all Beach front parking lots for what ever the reason /

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

What is left from the target ship is just about all ruble not much that a tog would be hiding under any cover .  When they are moving from the offshore habitat some times they will inundate a shore line beach for a few days as they grub there way to the spawning place they choose to go to. Some of the South Facing Beaches like Poppy and South Cape , along with Craigville were once known for great early tog fishing and if you could get into the Kennedy grounds , you could find some nice fishing for a short period of time.  I would look to the shoreline rock piles and outlets where the jetties protect the ponds water flowing back and forth for a place to start . You have plenty of those places in and around Falmouth. How ever Falmouth has closed off all Beach front parking lots for what ever the reason /

You’d be surprised what’s left underwater of the Longstreet, quite a bit of structure. I took a bunch of pictures last year diving. I’m out of sesuit so the south side is kinda out of reach. There’s some structure out by the canal entrance and Sandwich town beach I used to dive on but I don’t know if the tog are prevalent. Might be worth a shot just to kill time 

C154333A-2D44-4261-88C0-863D8529883F.jpeg