fishinbill

MA/RI: When do Tog come into reasonable kayak range?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This will be my first spring going for tog, and the season opens on April 1 in both MA and RI.  Do you folks find that fish are close enough to shore in early April to make a yak trip worthwhile, or are the fish likely still in much deeper water?  I noticed in my area that I now can find Asian crabs in the rocks, which I take as a good sign.

I don't mind taking an exploratory trip or two, but am wondering if there's even much of a chance of hooking up. Thanks.

Edited by fishinbill

I was wondering the same thing for NJ. The month of April is open for tog, and I was planning on going on a couple headboat trips but that is likely not going to happen. I picked up some asian crabs and will try out a couple of my shore spots: jetties and a couple piers to see if they are around. I have yet to venture out front on my kayak, but I'm thinking they're in deeper water still. Water temp is approaching 50 degrees according to a few buoy readings in my area.

Wet did you get that sheep in jersey? I live in pa and do day trips in the summer with the yak. tried all summer for one of those. on the plus side i did get my first tog although it was only 12 inches lol

Yup, got into my first one last summer. Was able land a few. Very tough to dial in a bite, but was rewarding once you finally hook into one.

In mass I wouldn’t start looking till the end of the month, there have been years that I found them earlier but those were mild springs, the key is 50 degree water temp