codfish

"Made in America" time to do the correct thing

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I can't buy every thing with a "Made in America" tag but I will do my best, it may be the only way to shut down the wet markets in China.

Who are the Made in America company's left in the fishing industry? This one might be for Bernie?

41 mins ago, ged said:

Lamiglas, ZeeBaaS, St Croix

There is some braid made here too. 

Thanks for sharing, most products will say right on the package "Made in China" Savage gear is the big one, also any time you see swim baits like this it's china all the way. We can do our part:)

swim_shad2_800x.jpg

s-l640.jpg

This topic was being discussed on another site recently. I have a small business so my products are made in the US, but not all the components I use are made here. Unfortunately, that's a big part of this issue, and even when American companies have that "Made in America" label, the legal requirements allow that only a portion of the components or the assembly be done here. 

For me, and my most used components, there's only one US manufacturer and frankly their quality is not as good as what I get from other sources. I use some products from that producer, but a lot more of the  imported products.

There certainly are important products that many folks need, such as medicines and foods that should be produced here. How do we get back to that?  It may take non-profit type businesses to do that, since less cost/higher profit is likely why these aren't being produced here like they used to be. 

IMO, It's going to take people to invest in businesses that are not solely driven by profits to get back to more being produced here, but can still stay viable as a business and for some types of manufacturing, not sure what's possible.  

51 mins ago, Jim H said:

This topic was being discussed on another site recently. I have a small business so my products are made in the US, but not all the components I use are made here. Unfortunately, that's a big part of this issue, and even when American companies have that "Made in America" label, the legal requirements allow that only a portion of the components or the assembly be done here. 

For me, and my most used components, there's only one US manufacturer and frankly their quality is not as good as what I get from other sources. I use some products from that producer, but a lot more of the  imported products.

There certainly are important products that many folks need, such as medicines and foods that should be produced here. How do we get back to that?  It may take non-profit type businesses to do that, since less cost/higher profit is likely why these aren't being produced here like they used to be. 

IMO, It's going to take people to invest in businesses that are not solely driven by profits to get back to more being produced here, but can still stay viable as a business and for some types of manufacturing, not sure what's possible.  

Good post, as a manufacturer I use Mustad hooks almost exclusively simply because they are the standard of the industry.  Mustad USA is an American subsidiary with it's HQ in Florida.  The point I want to make is the hooks themselves are made in China and there is no American manufacturer at the present time.

As the last hook in the world to be manufactured in the United States, Eagle Claw ... Developed over 35 years ago, the Shappell brand is a an American-based ...

One can speak about what is manufactured here in the Good Old USA and above all the greatest fear to those who take any type of medicine is that as of today the majority of drug manufactures produce the medicines we all take in the places where this virus all began, in China or some other country .

We have allowed these drug companies to continue this practice and who knows given the latest outbreak a new drug will be formulated to fend it off at some point. Who then gets to manufacture it and really make a profit from it. Will it be America or some other country ? How many of the worlds medicine have actually been developed here and then allowed to be produced some where else . How does every one know that for some reason these drugs may be contaminated by a country that has a bone to pick with our country ?  Is all about the cost? China produces many items for the world  with cheap labor and that dictates in some cases the reason, but America needs to begin looking at bringing back many of these companies, especially in the medical field . If we get another epidemic, we just might be able to handle it better if we are the suppliers of the goods needed to take care of those who become infected   

27 mins ago, codfish said:

As the last hook in the world to be manufactured in the United States, Eagle Claw ... Developed over 35 years ago, the Shappell brand is a an American-based ...

True but they are not made large enough for most saltwater game fish and the saltwater corrosion resistance need a lot of work.

Posted (edited) · Report post

FINS Braid. I have a few 500 yard spools of pink 50lb FINS Windtamer laying around if anyone wants to try it out. Great stuff.

Edited by JTR