finefish

Catch and Release Canal

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

People are constantly complaining about the poaching, culling, and other blatantly illegal practices that occur daily at the canal. On top of that, poorly handled fish caught by people who think they are a legend for catching a 40lber in a place where bass would bite a hot dog if you threw it out there at times. A significant number of people on this site and in the fishing community want to save the bass, so why has there not been any advocating for a C&R canal? A C&R canal would 1) save thousands of big fish that feed heavily moving in and out of the canal from CCB and BB every year 2) reduce crowds because those looking for meat would fish elsewhere. Most die hard canal guys sound like they are in it for C&R anyways and not the meat, so why aren't people discussing this as an option?

Why not just shut it down completely and we could save all those release mortality fish who have been played too long and starred on Instagram, Twitter and facebook. 

1 min ago, giggyfish said:

Why not just shut it down completely and we could save all those release mortality fish who have been played too long and starred on Instagram, Twitter and facebook. 

Never have fished it and don't have any interest, so go ahead. 

The canal should not have special rules. Montauk doesn’t, block island doesn’t, the outercape doesn’t. All places were once Mecca. 

The canal is only easy when it is easy. Many here on the MA forum with years of experience know this. 

I would advocate for gamefish status. Not at the canal or any other place specifically , but everywhere. 

4 mins ago, ged said:

The canal should not have special rules. Montauk doesn’t, block island doesn’t, the outercape doesn’t. All places were once Mecca. 

The canal is only easy when it is easy. Many here on the MA forum with years of experience know this. 

I would advocate for gamefish status. Not at the canal or any other place specifically , but everywhere. 

What is wrong with special rules? Chesapeake has special rules why can't other areas have special rules?

The canal sucks too many slippery rocks and now real slimy people stealing , poaching and being douche bags. Not a genuine fishing experience. Can’t bring a kid fishing there. People are savages. Scumbags. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, finefish said:

What is wrong with special rules? Chesapeake has special rules why can't other areas have special rules?

Doesn’t “daddy” take you out fishing on his regulator. You drink bud lights and don’t pay for gas right??

Troll

Edited by west tide

1 min ago, finefish said:

Special rules at the canal won’t save the fish.  Read my post again, I am advocating gamefish status which would protect these fish everywhere. 

Just now, west tide said:

Doesn’t “daddy” take you out fishing on his regulator. You drink bud lights and don’t pay for gas right??

Is it “that guy” again? I remember there was someone trolling here last year. 

Just now, west tide said:

Nope paid for the boat rods reels gear and gas

3 mins ago, ged said:

Special rules at the canal won’t save the fish.  Read my post again, I am advocating gamefish status which would protect these fish everywhere. 

Yeah but lets be realistic the chances of gamefish status anytime soon is <1%. So why not meet in the middle and try to save whatever you can?