Grouper999

Size VS VR on a 10ft lamiglas GSB.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What size Van Staal VR should I put on a 10 ft lamiglas GSB i’m going to be plugging with primarily pencil poppers in cape cod. I’m looking at the VR 150 and 175, I want something that matches the rod right, i don’t want something that’s overpowered or underpowered. According to tackle direct, the VR 175 holds 540 yds of 30lb braid, and I can only find 500 yds of 30 lb braid( power pro), and i don’t want to pay $114 for a spool of 1500yds of power pro braided line. Would it matter if i didn’t fully fill the reel? The VR 150 however holds 440yds, so i would not have to spend and extra $80 on unneeded braid, and it’s also lighter.

12 hours ago, Grouper999 said:

What size Van Staal VR should I put on a 10 ft lamiglas GSB i’m going to be plugging with primarily pencil poppers in cape cod. I’m looking at the VR 150 and 175, I want something that matches the rod right, i don’t want something that’s overpowered or underpowered. According to tackle direct, the VR 175 holds 540 yds of 30lb braid, and I can only find 500 yds of 30 lb braid( power pro), and i don’t want to pay $114 for a spool of 1500yds of power pro braided line. Would it matter if i didn’t fully fill the reel? The VR 150 however holds 440yds, so i would not have to spend and extra $80 on unneeded braid, and it’s also lighter.

First, you would probably like the VR 175 on that rod. Second, please do not put more than 300 yards of line on that reel. Just because a reel can hold all that braid, doesn't mean you have to spool it with that much braid. My recommendation would be to spool the reel about 1/3 to 1/2 full of 20-30lb mono, then splice the lines together with an alberto, albright, uni to uni, whatever you prefer knot. At that point you can spool about 200-300 yards of line on your reel. That's what most everyone does, and thats what any tackle shop would do to that reel.

It does matter if you leave a large lip exposed on the spool. It can effect your cast in a negative way. You want it mostly full, leaving a small amount (1/2in?) of the lip exposed.

Unless you plan on dual purposing the VR for tuna jigging, don't spool 500 yards of braid. Your pockets will thank you.

Tight lines,

A VR 200 owner.

You do not need anything more than a 150.........if you surf fish and walk the beach, trust me VR/VS 150 is all you want. You certainly do not need any more line capacity and you certainly do not want anymore weight than necessary............enjoy

39 mins ago, beret said:

You do not need anything more than a 150.........if you surf fish and walk the beach, trust me VR/VS 150 is all you want. You certainly do not need any more line capacity and you certainly do not want anymore weight than necessary............enjoy

is it going to look small on a ten foot rod? What would the 150 be compared to in size, a 5000 size Shimano?

9 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

First, you would probably like the VR 175 on that rod. Second, please do not put more than 300 yards of line on that reel. Just because a reel can hold all that braid, doesn't mean you have to spool it with that much braid. My recommendation would be to spool the reel about 1/3 to 1/2 full of 20-30lb mono, then splice the lines together with an alberto, albright, uni to uni, whatever you prefer knot. At that point you can spool about 200-300 yards of line on your reel. That's what most everyone does, and thats what any tackle shop would do to that reel.

It does matter if you leave a large lip exposed on the spool. It can effect your cast in a negative way. You want it mostly full, leaving a small amount (1/2in?) of the lip exposed.

Unless you plan on dual purposing the VR for tuna jigging, don't spool 500 yards of braid. Your pockets will thank you.

Tight lines,

A VR 200 owner.

Spend the extra money and put hollow core instead of solid core on it easier to add line if you break off. They just splice in amount lost and splice has 100% line strength. Your other knots don’t. Splices go through guides easy,knots don’t.

175 is a good size, the weight difference is unnoticeable from the 150, and the larger spool May help casting distance. I use the 175 on a GSB1081M, it also works on my 11’ gsb. It should be a good fit.

Go with the 200 for a 10' rod. It's the best pairing and you wouldn't be undergunned if you do hook into a large.

VS 200   as for filling the spool, I put about 20 wraps of mono on first, then tie on the braid and load her up. If you go with 300 yards the inevitable break offs and a wind knot or 2 will have you casting into the backing. With all the money spent on a good rod and a VS , why cheap out on the line? After a year or two , just flip the line and use whats been on the bottom. Just my .02