Voo31

Van Staal O-ring Trouble

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

So iv been passing some time slowly taking apart my VSX250 and cleaning it ect. Today I got to the final step of just putting it back together but I am having a big problem getting the side cover back on without pinching the O-ring and having it come undone. Iv tried about 20 times for 3 hours and am starting to go crazy. Every time I try to tighten it (after making sure everything is aligned) the O-ring pinches and jumps out. Im having one heck of a time, any help is appreciated 

Push the o ring all the way down to the bottom of the threads on the side cover and lube the o ring  good , to stop it from binding when you turn the side cover . Won't hurt to lube  the edge of the gear case where the ring will contact .

40 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Push the o ring all the way down to the bottom of the threads on the side cover and lube the o ring  good , to stop it from binding when you turn the side cover . Won't hurt to lube  the edge of the gear case where the ring will contact .

Just tried this out, results were a little better but the ring still pinched an popped out although on side did not pop out. If I look closely it looks like one side of the threads is not holding the ring properly, not sure why. Heres a picture of what keeps happening 

IMG_1996.jpeg

This is happening with new O-rings, now im burning through them. I got this reel used and all the seals were there when i took it apart except the O-ring. Im wondering if this reel for whatever reason just wont fit them

Wondering if there is anything the ring is catching on ? Are both surfaces where it sits smooth? If you don't feel or see any dent or scratches try pushing the ring back in as you slowly tighten it , or freeze the o ring first in the freezer. That will make it contract and more rigid .

Don’t take this the wrong way but are you sure that there’s only one o ring. You said that it didn’t have one when you took it apart.

28 mins ago, Clbay1971 said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but are you sure that there’s only one o ring. You said that it didn’t have one when you took it apart.

A very fair question, Iv done more than my fair share of stupid things lol. I double checked and there is no O-ring in there, I guess the positive is that there was no water in it despite not having the O-ring. I fished it hard last season and got it under water many times, this is the first time iv opened it

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Wondering if there is anything the ring is catching on ? Are both surfaces where it sits smooth? If you don't feel or see any dent or scratches try pushing the ring back in as you slowly tighten it , or freeze the o ring first in the freezer. That will make it contract and more rigid .

Ill try the freezing method, i tried pushing it in as i spun the reel but it still bunched up and sprung out in one place. It just seems like the rings are too big but they are new

23 mins ago, Voo31 said:

Ill try the freezing method, i tried pushing it in as i spun the reel but it still bunched up and sprung out in one place. It just seems like the rings are too big but they are new

Are you in MA? If you are local I can probably help. 

4 hours ago, ged said:

Are you in MA? If you are local I can probably help. 

Im in central MA, this has me stumped. Any ideas? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where are you seating the O ring? It should be on the side cover.  There is a groove that it needs to set into. It shouldn't pinch.

Stupid question: Do you have the correct O ring?

You can barely see the O ring on the side cover.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 2.21.39 AM.png

Edited by Bow3022

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you look closely at the lip of the side cover, there is what I can only describe as a U channel that the o-ring sits in.  The only way that the o-ring can do what it is doing is if it is too large for the channel. Either the new o-ring(s) are out of specification, or you are failing to properly seat the o-ring in this channel, i.e., it is still on the threads when you are re-installing the side plate.

Noting that I have been servicing my own VS's since they were made in the USA, I have never experienced this issue.  You want to lube the o-ring with Castrol 90W Gear oil before you install it.  You must be careful not to stretch the o-ring while lubing it, as the coss-sectional diameter of the o-ring is very small.  Best way to lube it is to lay it on a paper towel and pour the oil on the o-ring. Then, without stretching the ring more than absolutely necessary, put the ring over the threads, down to the channel, and using your finger tips, not your nails, run your finger around the lip of the side plate, seating the o-ring all the way down in the U-Channel.  Then install the side plate.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by FlatWing