Grouper999

Lamiglas GSB vs SuperSurf

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Don’t go with a faster action rod for pencils. I have an Avid and hate it for pencils. Great rod but I would sell it in a heartbeat for a GSB.

Like ASrod said, you want a slower action rod when throwing pencil poppers, whatever brand you decide on.  I use a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10'6"..

5 mins ago, ASrod said:

Don’t go with a faster action rod for pencils. I have an Avid and hate it for pencils. Great rod but I would sell it in a heartbeat for a GSB.

what length would you recommend? I don’t want a super short rod, nothing below 9ft but i don’t want something that 11ft.. I was thinking something like a 9”6 or a 10.

I own rods from both of  those series and I would reach for the GSB first if I'm throwing pencils. The Super Surf is better suited for other applications like jigging bucktails

Posted (edited) · Report post

Moderate actions are preferred when pencil popping but that shouldnt meen slow.  A rod with deep flex and a fast recovery is an ideal pencil rod, a lightly built 10 or 11m are probably the best pencil rods around....and really the best all round rods imo.  Built one this year with titanium torsites and the thing is incredibly nimble with a fast recovery, no wobble and and a deep flex.

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 hour ago, Grouper999 said:

what length would you recommend? I don’t want a super short rod, nothing below 9ft but i don’t want something that 11ft.. I was thinking something like a 9”6 or a 10.

Right now I own a 10’ Avid and a 9’ ODM for my surf rods. I plan on getting a GSB1321M (11 footer) as soon as I can afford it and likely not using the Avid anymore.

GSB 1321M is probably the best pencil rod I've ever used.  Don't see why the 10 wouldn't work just as good if that's the size you prefer.

7 mins ago, Kima said:

GSB 1321M is probably the best pencil rod I've ever used.  Don't see why the 10 wouldn't work just as good if that's the size you prefer.

Agreed and not just for pencils. The 1321 M handles a wide variety of plugs, eels, bucktails. Etc. Its a great "all around" surf rod.

9 mins ago, Grouper999 said:

if i where to get the 10 ft gsb for all around surf fishing, but primarily pencil fishing, should i get the moderate or the moderate fast?

For pencils the moderate would be the best choice.

1 hour ago, Grouper999 said:

if i where to get the 10 ft gsb for all around surf fishing, but primarily pencil fishing, should i get the moderate or the moderate fast?

You want to get the 1201L.  

My opinion differs from most but I like the supersurf more. With a faster a action rod you're not going to work a pencil like you traditionally would..it's takes far less effort almost like working a spook but at faster rate. You're working the plug more with the top section of the rod then you are from the mid section on a more parabolic rod.