MorningWood

Replacing Hooks on Avas and other metals

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So with all the free time self isolating provides, I went through about a dozen old tackle boxes some of which haven't been opened in years. One of them had a load of Ava A17s A27, some hammered metals etc. The tubes on most of them were dry rotted and several had old rusty hooks. The jigs themselves are in good condition but I need to replace the hooks on a bunch. I can't believe I've never done this before in 50 years of surf fishing and I am quite embarrassed to even ask, but how do you replace the hooks when it's jig, barrel swivel and hook. There's no way to get the barrel swivel off the jig. Do you cut the hook at the swivel and then open the gap on the replacement hook? What kind of hooks are typically used on these and are they pre-gapped? Can this even be done or do I just use the newer ones and trash the old ones? Feel free to call me a googan or an idiot I just cant figure this out. I searched for replacing hooks on Avas and nothing came up so either I'm an idiot and everyone already knows how to do this or people just follow out with the old and in with the new.

17 mins ago, hobobob said:

Ask dan the tin man for replacement hooks and tubes. If the swivel is shot, cut it off and put a split ring & new swivel on. 

That’s right.  I can provide part or all of what’s needed.  Put in a request in the Commercial B/S/T section under the Requests heading.

If the swivel is in good shape, just buy a 7/0 open eye, O'shaugnessy or  Siwash hook. (Of course size is relative to jig size and target fish, but thats a good mid size hook)  and close it onto the swivel. If you remove a damaged swivel, I use a #7 stainless steel split ring, and a #1 Roscoe , nickel plated swivel and then put hook on swivel. The 7/0 bent shank Limerick is the mid size tube hook. Of course you can go with a larger split ring #9 and a 1/0 swivel for tuna jigs,and smaller for A17's but you get the idea. 

November/December Jigging around NYC is mythical and except for Albie season, my favorite time of year. After running out of O'Shawnessy one year I subed offset Octpus 6/0 7/0 8/0 with split rings (always w/swivel). First trip out immediately noticed a much higher hook up ratio. If you really like using jigs pick up some Gold Hammered Jigs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If the swivel is in good shape, I just cut the hook off and replace it. Split ring to swivel if you must replace it. There are several replacement hook options available. 

75C8A512-94DF-4634-88BE-B03C1BB99944.jpeg

Edited by ANGCorsair