Grouper999

Recommend recommendations for a high end Cape Cod plugging rod.

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I’ve had the 9ft St. Croix mojo surf for the past 3 years paired with a Shimano Saragossa 5000, and it’s been a great set up, I’ve caught dozens of 20+ lb stripers and a few in the high 30s. The reel is started to corrode and the rod is in pretty rough condition. I’m looking for an upgrade, and wondering if any of you guys have suggestions. I’m primarily going to be using pencil poppers, divers and buck tails occasionally, DOC spooks, and poppers to target large striped bass. I’m thinking to pair is with a Van Stall VR in a size I have not chosen yet( if you want to recommend the size of VR that would match with the rod you recommend that would be great). I’m looking for a rod between 9-10 feet that’s under 700$ that will hopefully last me for many years to come. So far I’m looking at the century slingshot. Any recommendations will help, thanks.

I have a 10’ ODM DNA paired with a VR 150. It’s a perfect setup for my needs and the rod throws it’s full range. Very impressed with it and it didn’t break the bank. 

The only Century Sling Shot that I use for Pencils is the SS1505 (HJ144L) with 3 inches cut off the butt.  Others have cut as much as 9 inches off the butt.  If you go this route, I would recommend the reel I use on mine, the VR200.  Note that I also use the European Daiwa Emblem Surf 35 SCW Long Cast reel (mag sealed) on this rod, but my guide layout is original Fuji NGC layout using Fuji BSVAG Alconite guides (12 total) which gives me more versatility in reel choice.  My SportCast USA sanctioned event measured cast on this rod, using a USA VS250 reel (now retired) and 30lb PP, was 351 ft using a 3oz t-Hex and a UNI-Tech Cast.

Cant go wrong with Blackhole or ODM. Once this virus is over try to cast a few of them to you find the one that feels right.

10' ODM Genesis is lightweight and powerful.  It flings a wide range of lures for me.  With that said, perhaps you should look into the ODM Frontier as it seems to be the step up from the Genesis.  I've read great reviews on them from this site.  

Try CMS Custom rods in New Bedford.

In the least, I would recommend that you call and speak with them.

Charlie is a wealth of knowledge as well as Eric.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, downset21 said:

10' ODM Genesis is lightweight and powerful.  It flings a wide range of lures for me.  With that said, perhaps you should look into the ODM Frontier as it seems to be the step up from the Genesis.  I've read great reviews on them from this site.  

I was looking at the 10 Genesis because it was a 50/50  and was going throw tins and plugs in the 2oz range would this be a good rod for me 

2 hours ago, MKF said:

Try CMS Custom rods in New Bedford.

In the least, I would recommend that you call and speak with them.

Charlie is a wealth of knowledge as well as Eric.

Good luck.

I think they can still get the Lamiglas 126-1MH, too.

2 hours ago, striper1524 said:

I was looking at the 10 Genesis because it was a 50/50  and was going throw tins and plugs in the 2oz range would this be a good rod for me 

I was able to launch kastmasters and deadly dicks with this rod.  It's lightweight and has plenty of backbone.  I think you'd be very happy throwing 2oz lures.  

23 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I have a 10’ ODM DNA paired with a VR 150. It’s a perfect setup for my needs and the rod throws it’s full range. Very impressed with it and it didn’t break the bank. 

Does the VR 150 seem like it’s the right size for that 10ft rod? I’ve heard that generally people put the 175 or 200 on a ten foot, but i wanna go as light as possible.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, Grouper999 said:

I’ve had the 9ft St. Croix mojo surf for the past 3 years paired with a Shimano Saragossa 5000, and it’s been a great set up, I’ve caught dozens of 20+ lb stripers and a few in the high 30s. The reel is started to corrode and the rod is in pretty rough condition. I’m looking for an upgrade, and wondering if any of you guys have suggestions. I’m primarily going to be using pencil poppers, divers and buck tails occasionally, DOC spooks, and poppers to target large striped bass. I’m thinking to pair is with a Van Stall VR in a size I have not chosen yet( if you want to recommend the size of VR that would match with the rod you recommend that would be great). I’m looking for a rod between 9-10 feet that’s under 700$ that will hopefully last me for many years to come. So far I’m looking at the century slingshot. Any recommendations will help, thanks.

Sling Shot is a great choice.  Also check out Century 10' Stealth S1 and 10' Century Surf Machine 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, reelfire said:

Cant go wrong with Blackhole or ODM. Once this virus is over try to cast a few of them to you find the one that feels right.

dollar, for dollar, and pure strength,  can't beat Black Hole...., BH's , Striped Bass Special line, has what you need and want for fishing CCC, 10 or11ft., 2-8, 1-6, can cover all your CCC needs, plugging, pencils, jigs, and the retail price, well just say, you will save money toward for, your NEW reel......

Edited by lureman

4 mins ago, AFMike said:

Sling Shot is a great choice.  Also check out Century 10' Stealth S1 and 10' Century Surf Machine 

Im now thinking I might go with a lamiglas GSB 10ft moderate action, but I just looked at the Century Surf Machine, and although its very expensive it looks like a beautifully crafted rod. Are the surf machines moderate action?