Rod recommendation

Rate this topic

SurfCaster01289

I’m thinking that I need a heavier rod to throw big metal lips in the 4-4.5 ounce range. Ideally, I’d like a moderate action that could also throw lighter stuff like a ss darter and maybe even an sp in a pinch. Mainly though I need a little more strength to throw those big plugs at big fish. What do you guys use for this application? 

As a NGC conventional, I built the 10.5 foot Century Stealth SS1267 (2-5oz), which is somewhat stiffer than the 12.5 foot SS1505 (1-5oz).  I built the latter as an original NGC layout Spinning, for a 250VS or 200VR, but do not throw more than 4 oz. on it.

I also have and like both the 12ft and 11ft Shimano Tiralego's, with the 11ft, I feel, again being better for the higher weights - it is my rod for throwing rigged eels at night off the beach. On these two rods I use the Shimano Aero Technium 10000XSC, as these are factory built rods to match these or the same size Ulterrga reels.

If you are on the budget, take look at Fiblink Moosniper Sapphire

Their 11' may be just what are you looking for.

Fiblink Rod.jpg

Fiblink Sapphire.jpg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

14 mins ago, FlatWing said:

As a NGC conventional, I built the 10.5 foot Century Stealth SS1267 (2-5oz), which is somewhat stiffer than the 12.5 foot SS1505 (1-5oz).  I built the latter as an original NGC layout Spinning, for a 250VS or 200VR, but do not throw more than 4 oz. on it.

I also have and like both the 12ft and 11ft Shimano Tiralego's, with the 11ft, I feel, again being better for the higher weights - it is my rod for throwing rigged eels at night off the beach. On these two rods I use the Shimano Aero Technium 10000XSC, as these are factory built rods to match these or the same size Ulterrga reels.

Thanks for the input! My s2 feels a little over powered with 4.5oz

Fiber-Star makes a great rod also they have a couple blanks that def fit in that range. Ufortunately theyre out of business, but used ones pop up all the time. 

SB-1267 sounds like something that would be nice fit for what you're looking for! 2-6 handles it nice. Also they're made in the USA, which is nice especially during these times IMO. 

Edited by ChewyBrigantine

2 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

I was thinking that would be a good move. Always fished the L and love it. 4.5oz metal lips no problems? 

I've thrown 5 oz jigs at the canal with it before. Not ideal but it did the job. I'd probably prefer a rod in the 2-6oz for that but if you also want to throw an ss or sp something like the 1321 M is your best bet.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

5 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

I’m thinking that I need a heavier rod to throw big metal lips in the 4-4.5 ounce range. Ideally, I’d like a moderate action that could also throw lighter stuff like a ss darter and maybe even an sp 

You want to throw SP’s and 4.5oz lures with one rod, hmmmmm….

I do not think you can find such a thing…

It doesn’t exist

(*member formerly known as 'Ricardo8')

11 mins ago, Mahigo said:

It doesn’t exist

I dont want it to do both well. I want it to do best with 3-4.5 ounce plugs, but be able to go lighter if I have to. I dont expect it to do it perfectly, but I know the rod must exist. These new rods can have crazy ranges.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've thrown 5 oz jigs at the canal with it before. Not ideal but it did the job. I'd probably prefer a rod in the 2-6oz for that but if you also want to throw an ss or sp something like the 1321 M is your best bet.

Appreciate it! an sp is a bit of a stretch, but it would definitely be good to be able to scale down to a ss darter or something

34 mins ago, Mahigo said:

It doesn’t exist

ODM jigster will do both. Not beautifully but it works.

Its sweet spot is between 3 and 6 oz but It can throw a larger sp minnow or 8oz and a dead eel for sharks. It's a serious rod.

20180810_213104.jpg.f3d3195aea1e30a834c16b87c638d48e.jpg

20200329_230432.jpg.f0f034ab2e117f44ef49beb2161faf5c.jpg

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333