dannyplug1

ATTEMPT AT HOLLOW FLY SQUID

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Trying to learn hollow ties.   A fret seeing some of the talent on this forum I am hesitant but here it goes.  I think I have to learn to make less thick hollow ties and make them on to and below the shank.

7B0823E2-4AA0-4843-8B19-90139BE2B0BD.jpeg

Nothing to be hesitant about - those look great, and will definitely catch fish.

One bit of unsolicited advice: when you look at an Atlantic squid, they are much more body (it's called a mantle) than tentacles.  See below.  I'm certain it doesn't matter (those will get crushed), but something to think about.

Illex illecebrosus - Wikipedia

No problem at all.They'll catch.Try tying some with longer bodies and shorter hackles......Shortfin squids!!!!:howdy:

All about dexterity and control of material when doing hollow fleyes. Even distribution of material, concentric thread wraps perpendicular to the shank, and of course, practice. Focus on making each hollow tie better than the last one you did and pretty soon you'll be making some stellar hollows.

But in all honesty the fish don't care as much as we do. Your flies look great, and will catch fish so long as you can present them right!