Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael P

This may be more grim than ever imagined

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A good friend is a police officer in the town over from me in NJ. He just called his wife, who in turn called mine to say that he is on duty until further notice and that he may have to go into the city to assist with the temporary morgue they are setting up in a park. They could be expecting upwards of 45,000 dead. God bless all those in need of strength.

Many New York firefighters had entered the twin towers as the people that work there were evacuated. The NYC fire commissioner just announced that over two hundred of those brave men are presumed dead.

God bless their families.

It sounds like a number of people did make it out of the building. In the office it sounded like there was no annoucement, fire alarm, etc. and in fact some security were reportedly trying to keep people IN the building. But I was just told by a coworker some in my office overpowered the security to get out into the street. But then I dont know if eveyone moved far enough away as the towers collapsed. At this hour, everyone is not accounted for, and there are a number of people whom I'm certain would have contacted me by now, so I really fear the worst.

I just called my cousin to ask about her husband. It was a call I was scared to death to make. He works for Rescue 5 FDNY. I knew he had to be one of the first on the scene, certainly one of the ones inside the building when it collapsed. Thankfully he is OK> he managed to find a cell phone to call her . Unfortunely he claims his entire company was wiped out. Or at least he thinks they were. He can't find any of his company. He told her that most of the brass he was with was wiped out. He said the streets are full of wrecked fire and police dept equipment.

Currently he is pulling bodies out of the rubble. They aren't finding any surviors so far. Just lots and lots of bodies.

God I just hope this was all a bad dream.

Ok, since I have had my fill Of Johnny Walker Black after this day that I'm still not sure that actually happened.

Here is a little note from my friend Jennifer who was in the WTC today (I didn't want to post this earlier for obvious reasons)

I am NOT a religious person but today will make me pray to someone for these poor people.

"i'm still crying

e:\t i can't believe this

e:\t we ran out through a broken window

:\t i was downstairs in the Path station, just got off the train

then thepower was flickering and they started screaming "get out of the building, its bloiwing up!!!"

and people behind us were killed when the elevator doors opened and a fireball came out

people throwing themselves out windows

people dead in there cars in the street"

I wish I could have been there to do SOMETHING.

Todd

Worst single day tragedy on American soil, was a battle during the Civil war- over 26,000 Americans were killed on that day, lets hope today does not eclipse that frown.gif

The Battle of Antietam (Sharpsburg)

(The Bloodiest Day of the Civil War)

September 17, 1862

Date: September 17, 1862

Confederate Commander: Robert E. Lee

Union Commander: George B. McClellan

Confederate Forces Engaged: 51,844

Union Forces Engaged: 75,316

Winner: Union

Casualties: 26,134 (12,410 Union and 13,724 Confederate)

[This message has been edited by Marksharky (edited 09-11-2001).]