Bigfish25

Kayak Recommendation

11 posts in this topic

I am thinking about buying a kayak and would like a recommendation. My wife and I are an active 70 years old. We would like a kayak for mostly recreation use but some fly fishing. It would be used both in fresh and salt water (stripers). I am six feet two inches tall she an average height  five feet six. We would like it to be open and as stable possible and light enough too put on the roof of our VW van. Price limit if possible under $1,000. Suggestions?

Thanks

BF

Look at the Eddyline Caribbean 14. Only 50 lbs and are pretty stable. At 1000 price point you would need to look at used ones. Give Chris a call at the kayak fishing store . He will hook you up.

Are you looking for a tandem kayak? Wilderness systems makes several two seaters (pamlico, t-135, etc) under 1k, they start around 72 lbs. Craigslist will get you the most bang for your buck. Fly fishing with two onboard may be difficult.

Just note that if you're planning to salt fish in Maine, the boat is just a start to your expense. You will need drysuits to be safe in water that is very cold year round, and a VHF radio for emergencies. Good PFD's and a GPS too, though a phone in a waterproof will serve for safety purposes.

Here’s my advice, coming from a guy who owns a tandem and a Hobie. Do yourself a favor and rent a few times to see if both of you enjoy the same thing. If you’re going to kayak a few times a season renting is the way to go. Otherwise, as Gellflex touched on you’ll need to lay out much more than just for a kayak. There’s gear, kayak holder for the car $500 plus. 

Tandem kayaks don’t work well with one person, so if you want to fish solo get a used Hobie and call it a day. You’ll love it!

All the best!

6 hours ago, Bigfish25 said:

I am thinking about buying a kayak and would like a recommendation. My wife and I are an active 70 years old. We would like a kayak for mostly recreation use but some fly fishing. It would be used both in fresh and salt water (stripers). I am six feet two inches tall she an average height  five feet six. We would like it to be open and as stable possible and light enough too put on the roof of our VW van. Price limit if possible under $1,000. Suggestions?

Thanks

BF

Check out the NuCanoe Flint. I actually have one for sale in the kayak BST. It’s deck is wide open and flat. Good for fly fishing, and great for standing. The boat is about as light as they come, and it paddles fast too. Handles a decent deck very well. The deck drains really well and stays bone dry. I’m only selling mine because I have two kayaks and my wife wants it out of the garage. 

I'd look used (here, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace). You'll be looking at PADDLE kayaks at under $1K. I'd focus on Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for you, or a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120/140. These will weigh in at under 70# so car topping is fairly easy, and they are supposed to be a nice paddle (never been in the OK, but own an older Tarpon 140). I'd also look for the same in an 11 or 12 foot version for your wife. If you are looking new, check out the Vibe line ... looked at these nice and have some nice features. A bit heavier but still manageable.

I recommend finding a kayak trial or renting a few different types before buying. See what you like and don’t like. This was the route I took before buying. I learned that most cheaper sit on tops are not very comfortable for long stays on the water. Comfort plays a big role in how long you stay on the water, and how likely you will want to go again. Find a yak with a super comfortable seat and plenty of leg space to avoid cramps.  I chose a Bonafide SS107, but it is probably a bit out of your listed price range. You may have to look at pre-owned to find a higher end yak at your price. Unfortunately, comfort usually comes with the higher prices. Good luck, and hope this helps. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

So one tandem kayak, or two solo kayaks is the first question, your an active 70 year old, I'm an active 63 year old, and as a rule I don't lift kayaks over 69 pounds anymore, had a 90 pound yak and it gets old getting on top of the suburban. Your looking for paddle yaks I guess. No lawn chair seats under a grand..

1. Ocean Kayak Mailbu 2XL, 13'4", 34"wide, 61 pounds

2. Ocean Kayak Zest 2 16', 30.5" wide 95 pounds

3. Mailbu Pro Tandem 13', 33" wide 62 pounds

4. Hobie quest tandem 14', 33" wide 91 pounds

5. Liquid Logic Deuce Coupe  13', 33" wide 78 pounds

1,3,and 5 are in your price range, there is a start, be aware they call tandem kayaks  "divorce kayaks", although my wife just walked by when the deuce coupe was up and said hey lets get a tandem again....oh boy. We did have a wilderness Pamilco sit in as our first tandem yak, it was heavy, but we could not get out of it without looking like fools, and that was 20 years ago! Do a search for tandem kayak on goggle and see what else is out there.......Jack

I like the Malibu Pro myself without getting to see one.

Edited by Bulldog
Spellin of kourse

I am looking at the Hurricane Skimmer 140 at the present time. Seems to be the lightest 14 footer out there at the present time. Hurricane also makes the skimmer in a 120. Price is a bit over $1000.00 depending on what options you choose. 52 lbs. Is the lightest boat I could find without going to fiberglass or kevlar which would more than double the price.