Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

Fix stockingfoot wader

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Ive developed a leak in my stockingfoot wader.   I think it was my fault because i had walked on the stockingfoot in a parking lot and i think the neoprene has a little hole in it

is aquaseal going to so the trick or are they trash?

I use 3m 5200.  Give it 2 or 3 days to dry and cure and it will never come off.

Finding the leak can be tricky i use a bright flashlight in a dark room.  Any little leak shines right through.  You may need to pull and stretch the neoprene footie to see the hole

52 mins ago, Goldy said:

Ive developed a leak in my stockingfoot wader.   I think it was my fault because i had walked on the stockingfoot in a parking lot and i think the neoprene has a little hole in it

is aquaseal going to so the trick or are they trash?

Nope!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are they Walmart Specials or Simms - Orvis - Bass Pro. Neoprene - Breathable.  Walmarts, Fill foot with water tie off above the ankle squeeze to locate the leak. High-end ones might be covered with a fix or replace free or service charge.  My Simms was replaced at the point of sale. Good luck.  Divers have a silicon fix just search it. If all else fails go to

Youtube and search How to Repair Breathable & Neoprem waders.  The Syms in My avatar is Syms I fish Salt Fresh Syms replaced 2 times. fixed 1 time. 

fix.jpg

uv-wader-repair-alt-1.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

If you can identify ALL of the holes, then it’s a relatively simple fix, the hard part is usually finding them all. 

A tip for that is to use your phone’s flashlight (I prefer the flat construction of my phone over the tubular one of most flashlights) and when the light shines through, you’ll see the holes as they look much more transparent than everything else. 

As for AquaSeal, it works, but I’ve found that E6000 works considerably better. I also put two coats on my holes, let the one dry for a day, then add another layer, it often works much better than one single layer.

Just my two cents. Everyone probably has their own method here and they all work equally unwell, haha. 

That is close to one of the worst places to try and repair. You can try and thoroughly work aqua seal on the inside and out of the bootie. That looks like a slash so your gonna have to try and put a patch on the inside. It will never withstand the wear on the outside. The biggest problem I have with stocking foot, is the sand wearing on the tape seams of the neoprene booties. 

It's a losing battle trying to patch. That's why I always have 2 pairs. 1 I'm trying to keep watertight and a newer pair that's leak free. Late spring to early fall I dont care but, when it's cold it sucks

I was basically going to echo the same as Haycreekrambler.... 

You can take aquaseal or or another strong glue like others have mentioned... make sure the neoprene is dry. Make sure it’s flat on the ground. Dab the strong glue around the tear. Put few pieces Of gorilla duct tape over it. Then lift corners and apply more. Repeat once more. Let sit til dry, but make sure the glue doesn’t come in contact with any other part of the neoprene or waders or you could end up in a worse situation. Not perfect, but will keep you going for awhile. 

2 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

That is close to one of the worst places to try and repair. You can try and thoroughly work aqua seal on the inside and out of the bootie. That looks like a slash so your gonna have to try and put a patch on the inside. It will never withstand the wear on the outside. The biggest problem I have with stocking foot, is the sand wearing on the tape seams of the neoprene booties. 

It's a losing battle trying to patch. That's why I always have 2 pairs. 1 I'm trying to keep watertight and a newer pair that's leak free. Late spring to early fall I dont care but, when it's cold it sucks

Yeah it’s a losing battle for sure. I have a spare pair as well and another on order.   I was trying to save these but it appears a losing battle bc it’s on my heal.  

And was i friggen cold last night.  I nearly froze my ass off

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wore a hole in the heal of mine last season just from long walks and rubbing on the boots.  Aqua seal got me through the rest of the season.  I was actually quite pleased with it as I had never tried it before.

Edited by FoliFish

17 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

5200 will fix that and never come off.  That stuff does not come off anything it seems.  Clean it with alchohol 1st before you apply

x2 on 5200. Apply a thin layer to the inside and out and you'll be good!