Rough

STRIPER FISHING MORATORIUM? IRONIC TWIST.

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

The bait shops are open in Delaware.  Despite the crappy weather today I can tell you that there was a fleet of boats just south of the Delaware River C&R boundary trying their best to kill what's left of them before they reach their spawning grounds.  Every bridge was taken.  Everybody is getting stir crazy and wants a break from being cooped up with the wife.  What may help slightly, if at all, is if the the bloodworm supply dries up. I'm referring to the spawning run, not oceanside fishing.

1 hour ago, the3fishheads said:

A few of the Captree boats, I wont name them, do a 7am trip, a noon trip and a nite eel trip for bass in prime time fall run season. That's 3 trips a day for the mathematically challenged. And some have no issues fishing past the EEZ..

I've been on almost the entire captree fleet when I used to be into partyboats. Gaff and release bluefish, willingness to turn a blind eye to fluke/sea bass a few inches short, awful handling of bass that were to be released, common practices on all of em.

1 hour ago, the3fishheads said:

A few of the Captree boats, I wont name them, do a 7am trip, a noon trip and a nite eel trip for bass in prime time fall run season. That's 3 trips a day for the mathematically challenged. And some have no issues fishing past the EEZ..

Funny the post I deleted was regarding the captree fleet...

On 3/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, Cpalms said:

If you believe any of that data I have a sweet bridge to sell you.  Pure fake news.

Any data that shows the PSE highlighted in red, as many are in the selections provided, are so inaccurate as to be unusable.

MRIP data is accurate when used properly, which means using it on a large scale.  The more samples, the better the data--it's that simple.

So when you apply MRIP on a coastwide basis, for a commonly-encountered species such as striped bass, summer flounder or black sea bass, the accuracy is very good.

Break it down into individual states, and the accuracy declines by quite a bit.

Break it down even further, by state and mode or wave, and it gets even worse, and starts bordering on unusable.

Break it down by state, mode and wave, and you're better off with a monkey banging on a calculator.

Like any tool, MRIP needs to be used correctly to be effective.

Edited by CWitek

On 3/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, C.Robin said:

I mean, it's obvious that in total surf fisherman and private boats are going to kill more bass than PBs. There are many, many times more of the latter. It's a dumb argument, as on a /boat or /angler basis, the party boats are going to have a much greater impact. 

A while ago, I ran the NY numbers for the years 2014-2018.  What you find is that the for-hire fleet is responsible for only a very small number of overall striped bass trips--about 2.6% over that five-year period--but a larger proportion of the striped bass landings, at around 12.3%.  Party boats are a very small part of both trips and landings, at about 0.7% of trips and 1.1% of landings.  Any way you look at it, the actual landings of the party boats aren't a threat to the striped bass stocks.

The problem the party boats pose is their relentless and aggressive opposition to anything that resembles effective, science-based fisheries management.  Despite their very small share of the catfch, they have a sincere belief that fisheries regulations should be designed to meet the needs of the party boat fishery, and crowd meetings with hordes of people who show no respect to the forum, the fisheries managers or to anyone else who might disagree with them.  They have no problem verbally attacking, at times profanely, DEC or ASMFC personnel and insulting and trying to intimidate anyone in the room who opposes their position.

The worst thing I've seen in recent years was when people connected with the party boat industry threatened the business of a member of New York's Marine Resources Advisory Council abstained on, rather than supported, the party boats' preferred position on striped bass, and told that member, in language that could have come out of The Godfather or Goodfellas, that if the person "worked with them" the threat to the business could end.  While that is a more extreme example, anyone who publicly opposes them can expect some sort of veiled threat or attempted intimidation.  And it seems to be working, because I know of at least one person who normally attends MRAC meetings (but is not a member of MREAC) who told folks at MRAC about feeling intimindated and uneasy speaking up.

Read your second paragraph 3x .

Hard to argue the percentage of party boats. Also hard to argue the percentage of large bass piled up like cord wood on the deck in the fall.

It is what it is. 

I’ve been out in the raritain bay a few time so far at night. This is my first time going out a night this year but I’m assuming Friday nights would have a lot of boat traffic this year. Between my one middle of the week day trip and my two Friday night trips there was almost 0 boat traffic and a few surf guys. Seems like a lot less pressure this year.

Another thing is that lots of Marinas are shut down. People I know with larger 30+ft boats have been telling me that they wont be ready for a while. My little 22footer is sitting in my driveway ready to be splashed this weekend.

As far as New York goes - who ever had the chance left the state and since its the epicenter of the disease not many people are planning any trips here for the next couple months. Im sure many fish will be saved. 

As much as that is a silver lining I rather have things to get back to normal and people get back to work.