Rough

STRIPER FISHING MORATORIUM? IRONIC TWIST.

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Here in NY, beaches remain open for now (though boardwalks, such as the one in Long Beach, are closed off). If the virus crisis persists into the summer, beaches will be shut off, too. While we have been complaining forever about the declining striper stock, and many were calling for a moratorium, the coronavirus may well make it happen. Ironic, isn’t it?

I was thinking the same thing.  As much as i love the edge and fishing, traveling to beach is not a healthy option.  Gonna hunker down avoid everyone i can and keep my loved ones safe

By doing so i keep the bass safe to lol

Commercial fishing operations will continue. In fact MA sent an email last night letting us know. It is going to take more than coronavirus to save our fish. 

Recreational fishing has been shut down in New Zealand too (because of the disease). Commercial fishing continues to be done, though. 

I’m actually wondering if the guys who live near the ocean will fish even more often during this stressful time.  I probably would be hitting up some secluded spots on a regular basis if I could.

Also wondering if there will be a rebound effect of pent up fishing demand once this passes.  

Overall, though, I would imagine that the striper harvest will decline significantly for a while.  

Stay safe, everyone.  

11 mins ago, weekendwarrior said:

I’m actually wondering if the guys who live near the ocean will fish even more often during this stressful time.  I probably would be hitting up some secluded spots on a regular basis if I could.

Also wondering if there will be a rebound effect of pent up fishing demand once this passes.  

Overall, though, I would imagine that the striper harvest will decline significantly for a while.  

Stay safe, everyone.  

I can tell you freshwater fishing has seen a steep increase in MA. Anytime I am near water there are people. 

Florida has been closing beaches.  Washington State has banned all recreational fishing until sometime in April.  Illinois has closed a lot of public water.  I suspect that we will see more of that.

I’d like to go, but running around seems irresponsible at the moment.  So the rods are racked.

The lake I pass by during my walk has had cars parked in every lot for the past few weeks. Every day at any time. Friday was particularly busy. There were also more people walking and more car traffic especially jeeps and trucks. The jeeps and trucks are probably going through the trails. Basically a lot of people are not working and kids are not in school. So they do something outside that they enjoy because they can’t stand being cooped up. My daughter said a lot of her friends have been going to the beach. Just going to get worse as the weather gets nicer. As they close things people will look for what’s open. Don’t be surprised when people are in your secluded spot. 

To save the fish there has to be a huge drop in demand. Rec fishing is a part of it but I think a huge amount is for human consumption. Everyone stop eating fish and shellfish. How likely is that. And if that happens people that survive off of selling fish will be out of work. Has to be some type of balance.  There’s also climate change and disease and many other things that effect the population. I will obey the rules but if something is open I intend to take some casts as long as I can keep my distance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was thinking about this as I was reading some stories this morning.  Here in NJ one inshore spot that I fish this time of year has been shut down. People from a neighboring town that refuse to stop crowding together were there en mass.  Many of the local beaches have been shut down also to keep people from gathering. It's only March so who knows what will come of this in May or June.  Seems to me there will be a bit less pressure on the stripers.  That isn't a bad thing. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

1 hour ago, ged said:

I can tell you freshwater fishing has seen a steep increase in MA. Anytime I am near water there are people. 

Wait for turkey season Katy bar the door !!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Rough said:

Here in NY, beaches remain open for now (though boardwalks, such as the one in Long Beach, are closed off). If the virus crisis persists into the summer, beaches will be shut off, too. While we have been complaining forever about the declining striper stock, and many were calling for a moratorium, the coronavirus may well make it happen. Ironic, isn’t it?

yes quite ironic. Here in NJ. where the stripers are starting to chew. The big party boats and six pack charter boats would be getting limits and releasing fish. Yes some private boats are getting out but they are the exception not the rule. I always wanted the Season to start at the same time and have the same size limits as NY. Up here in North Jersey we fish in NY waters and they fish in NJ. waters. Hopefully some of the big girls make it up the Hudson and do what they do. Till then I will wax the boat and clean my gear.

46 mins ago, Mikeinri said:

Right now in R.I. the fisherman can’t even sell their catch.  Restaurants are buying it.  

Wrong...lobster guys are selling their catch from their boats/dock in Galilee everyday....crowds of people waiting to buy; check marinetraffic.com....see the amounts of fishing boats working off our coast