CW Flies

Silverside Surf Candies

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Making surf candies for juvenile poon and dock light snook now that it is getting warm again. If CV19 ever goes away might need to take these up north for some stripers. Great fly that is pretty easy to tie. I also am been experimenting with a strong arm crab. Subsituting out the chenille claw for a rabbit claw. Pictured is the magnum rabbit claw but i think i need to use regular size rabbit and it should be perfect. Let me know what you think and check out the video.

90464638_212467960098256_5529786800375070720_o.jpg.14366ac6eb243e5469bc81eb08dbd206.jpg

You should try the deer creek foils. They work great for making the perfect surf candies and they come in 3 sizes. I do need to do some with natural materials because some guys get turned off by the synthetics. Maybe i'll make a few with bucktail this week. 

I use synthetics with the foil also, very durable...if I don't breakoff the hook point on a backcast they stand up to plenty of fish. Nice work...

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

I use synthetics with the foil also, very durable...if I don't breakoff the hook point on a backcast they stand up to plenty of fish. Nice work...

Break off on the hook point? If they are breaking off the hook then you are using poor quality resin. Alot of people use loon thin for filling the inside of this fly and its a big mistake. Loon thin in my opinion is only good for covering thread wraps and even then I like Loon flow more because it soaks into the thread. Using Deercreek sculpt and Loon thick this fly should last you until the hook rusts out or something toothy finally cuts through the synthetics 

When I say breakoff the hook point i'm usually deep wading and my backcast ticks gravel or rocks on the beach 50 ft behind me...fish can't hurt the fly but I can!

3 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

When I say breakoff the hook point i'm usually deep wading and my backcast ticks gravel or rocks on the beach 50 ft behind me...fish can't hurt the fly but I can!

I feel your pain on this one. 

The NE shore is rocky our southern guys don’t have such problems. 

But we don’t have alligators so you choose :)

40 mins ago, Kml said:

I feel your pain on this one. 

The NE shore is rocky our southern guys don’t have such problems. 

But we don’t have alligators so you choose :)

In areas i wade i regularly get bumped by sharks. Usually small but a 6 ft shark that bumps your leg can scare you pretty good. Manatees are the worst. They will flat run you over. I don't wade freshwater. Alligators don't bump they just bite.

Nice work. Good materials. Would do well up north for striper as a teaser. I find it easier tying with synthetics vs buck tail but buck tail has slightly better performance. 

6 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Great flies.  This is the silverside version I have been tying recently.  Need to test on stripers this summer.

0D62D2B1-6AD8-4A09-B7B6-B7B345E0B3C1.jpeg

DBA89277-64C6-4CD9-B256-F748D9FABB6D.jpeg

8AD17593-7A71-4C8A-8BFE-D8066AD16663.jpeg

ACCA83F1-0C9E-4715-8066-1D05A070A01D.jpeg

Nice, You should try the Deer Creek silver side foils. They really look great and are very easy to work with, I am sure the stripers will eat you your version too. 

1 min ago, CW Flies said:

Nice, You should try the Deer Creek silver side foils. They really look great and are very easy to work with, I am sure the stripers will eat you your version too. 

I will look for them.  I have used the foils that Bob P introduced before.  I have not tried the deer creek ones.