Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry if this is a dupe.

Now I'm gettin really pissed off.

(*from Fox news)

Washington bans recreational fishing, shellfishing to slow coronavirus spread

By Michael Bartiromo | Fox News

Residents of Washington state won’t even be able to practice social “fishtancing” amid the coronavirus outbreak.

This week, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) issued a temporary order to close all recreational fishing and shellfishing in the entire state in order to further prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The news came shortly after Gov. Jay Inslee issued a “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order, which required Washington residents to stay home unless out for an “essential activity.”

“We’ve seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside,” WDFW Fish Program director Kelly Cunningham said in a news release issued Wednesday. “We’ve had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor’s direction to stay home and practice social distancing.”

WDFW’s ban went into effect at midnight on March 25. As part of the restrictions, fishing and shellfishing seasons will be closed for at least two weeks. Access to wildlife areas and water access areas will also be restricted for that same time period.

Similarly, the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission has temporarily closed all state-managed wildlife areas or water access points for two weeks.

Hunting seasons, meanwhile, are currently “not impacted” by any restrictions, WDFW confirmed.

This is not a decision we take lightly, but it’s the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington’s families,” added WDFW director Kelly Susewind, per the news release. “[The governor’s] extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect.”

WDFW says officers will remain on duty to enforce the ban over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, Michigan’s Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department is recommending that sportsmen practice social “fishtancing,” urging that they stay six feet apart — or, in their words, “4 trout” or “2 shovelnose sturgeon” apart.

Edited by TimS
removed link

Read this yesterday. I have done everything the government has asked so far but if they say I can't go spend time by myself, I will disobey. 

The problem in California was that too many people (non-fishermen) were going to beaches and parks and were not maintaining social distance.  If it were only fishermen it would be easy enough to maintain distance, but you can't say "yes" to fishing and "no" to everything else.  They had to just shut down the parks and beaches to everyone.

And Maine is allowing everyone to fish without a license for now, so that people can enjoy the outdoors. 

If they did that here in Pennsylvania I'd definitely be breaking the law. My biggest fear is this whole thing doesn't resolve itself in a month and it impacts my post spawn striper fishing

People don’t understand that a Stay at Home order means you stay at home.  Not that you drive to the beach to fish and hangout.

No matter where you go or when you go there, some jackass will always find you and want to talk, need your help with a jump start, etc.

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

New York’s next I say . The amount of people in the parks and lakes and beaches is crazy . They been packed all week 

There would be riots. Cuomo waived all entrance fees at the state parks. Should be interesting in the summer when people are looking to get on the beach.

I moved to North Carolina last year from New York. You would think with less population beaches would be open? They are all closed where I live to all! 

just insane over reach to close beaches and ban fishing or surfing , or bird watching or walking. As long as everyone keeps their distance it's all good, who the hell gets closer than 6' fishing on the beach anyway? Especially at night?! F em.

DSC03143.JPG

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

People don’t understand that a Stay at Home order means you stay at home.  Not that you drive to the beach to fish and hangout.

No matter where you go or when you go there, some jackass will always find you and want to talk, need your help with a jump start, etc.

Or ask what color lure you are using? :kook:

7 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

New York’s next I say . The amount of people in the parks and lakes and beaches is crazy . They been packed all week 

Hit mo2 and look yest. Lots were packed and peeps all over the beach walking dogs and kids everywhere. Got a bad feeling about opening season.

Hammer said twin lakes have been shoulder to shoulder last couple weeks.