Ospreys and Eagles

Rate this topic

Eeeeels

Wicked cool!! I had the great chance to watch a dogfight between ospreys and bald eagles right above my head while fishing the Susky Flats years ago. There was a good bite going on ( LMB) but I put my rod down and just sat in the boat and watched the incredible aerial display for twenty minutes. So fricking cool, and sometimes maybe a hundred feet above me.  Oh yeah, the eagles won the battle.

The cool thing is it’s basically in my back yard

i saw a red tail yesterday swoop right in front of my work truck wings tucked, claws out. I am glad I wasn’t on the receiving side of that.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Cool stuff guys. I'm on the boarder of Hunterdon/Somerset county. I see eagles fairly regularly, and I do think there are a LOT more around than most think. We are only 5 miles from Duke's Estate where they have the eagle cam, but I see them too often and sometimes more than one to think there aren't more than one pair nesting nearby. 

Here's an iphone shot from my backyard a couple weeks ago;

IMG_2114.jpg.8c4ba5ae4e2a9f984c63c9aff087758e.jpg

so who so who won the battle? I happened to be walking by that Tower one day before the Osprey showed up and I figured there would be a battle royale

On 3/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Eeeeels said:

The cool thing is it’s basically in my back yard

i saw a red tail yesterday swoop right in front of my work truck wings tucked, claws out. I am glad I wasn’t on the receiving side of that.

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

On 3/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, JimK said:

so who so who won the battle? I happened to be walking by that Tower one day before the Osprey showed up and I figured there would be a battle royale

The bald eagles reigned superior!

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

6 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:

Work down that way sometimes and always see at least 1. Saw 2 coming over del memorial month or so ago may have been doing it in air

30yrs. ago Salem Co had one nesting pair ,my sister and bil went nest searching a couple weeks ago and she counted 16 nests you could see from her car, I don't think that is anywhere near the total..

I get excited and point them out to folks now.. and they yawn and say, "what?" 

They were on the actual edge of extinction from our own cause. We nearly killed our own mascot. It was looking for a little while that Ben Franklin was right when he suggested the North American turkey as the national symbol.  Most folks don't appreciate them. They are back, and they are large and in charge, :laugh:

It’s a great comeback story. The bald eagles have been increasing in numbers & expanding their range for a lot longer than most realize. The location of nests was / is not readily made available to deter harassment, and or interruption when breeding pairs are on the nest . It would amaze folks to know how many there are currently in N.J. and how close to major population centers they raise their young . As an indicator species , they can give us all a sense of hope for the future of the environment , while far from perfect , it’s come a long way. Enjoy , respect and protect .