Grocery Stores

Rate this topic

SkunkLuvver

15 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Used Fortran extensively in my Chemical Engineering design classes.

Is Fortran more secure than Basic based Windows or Android?   Is it compiled in a more difficult way for hackers?

Is Unix or LInux more secure that Windows?

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

#1 married couples are maybe twice as susceptible seeing they don't 'distance' & sometimes travel separately.

#2 "human coronavirus" Lysol/Clorox wipes probably only work against the common cold.

#3 The CDC said masks don't work....but are now saying use them (even make-shift ones).

Here's my mask, I have had it for over 30 years-  :)

DSCF7467.JPG

"The Further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

27 mins ago, bb1 said:

#1 married couples are maybe twice as susceptible seeing they don't 'distance' & sometimes travel separately.

#2 "human coronavirus" Lysol/Clorox wipes probably only work against the common cold.

#3 The CDC said masks don't work....but are now saying use them (even make-shift ones).

Here's my mask, I have had it for over 30 years-  :)

DSCF7467.JPG

BB1 is that a gas mask ? How many layers of screening in the filters does it have ? Do you know if it can be rated as a 95 I would lean towards 70 percent alcohol wipes doing a job on the corona The Lysol wipes may have 70 percent alcohol as the spray does , which is recommended as well. and also Bleach and water

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

31 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

BB1 is that a gas mask ? How many layers of screening in the filters does it have ? Do you know if it can be rated as a 95 I would lean towards 70 percent alcohol wipes doing a job on the corona The Lysol wipes may have 70 percent alcohol as the spray does , which is recommended as well. and also Bleach and water

Yes a gas mask, it has a sealed container.   But was kind of a joke picture, I don't intend to use it.

BTW: I hear that Kleenex was first used in gas masks, then became popular to blow your nose after the war.

Lysol wipes  "claim" to effect 'human caronavirus' (common cold)....which is entirely different that this 'strain' of SARS.

Yes they are very tricky in their wording....as is the EPA.

@stormy monday I also have a bad case of eczema on my hands.It happens mostly on my fingers around the joints, when it flares up the pimples/blisters itch like heck.  Once the pimples/blisters break the skin dries up and cracks exposing the flesh underneath like deep cuts.  My dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate for the itch and fluocinonide for the dry skin.  Clobetasol helped a little bit for the itch and the fluocinonide for the dry skin/cracks.  The dry skin/cracks got worse so she prescribed a new ointment betamethasone which I find more effective. I also think it might be helping to prevent flare ups, haven't had any major ones since using the new ointment.

Edited by RonG

1 hour ago, RonG said:

@stormy monday I also have a bad case of eczema on my hands.It happens mostly on my fingers around the joints, when it flares up the pimples/blisters itch like heck.  Once the pimples/blisters break the skin dries up and cracks exposing the flesh underneath like deep cuts.  My dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate for the itch and fluocinonide for the dry skin.  Clobetasol helped a little bit for the itch and the fluocinonide for the dry skin/cracks.  The dry skin/cracks got worse so she prescribed a new ointment betamethasone which I find more effective. I also think it might be helping to prevent flare ups, haven't had any major ones since using the new ointment.

I have Psoriasis ,eczema's evil sister.In the winter time it gets pretty bad.The sun helps a ton and by july you can't even tell i have it.I do have it mildly so i am lucky there.My doctor also prescribed clobetasol propionate and it works like a miracle however my insurance company no longer will cover it and its 400.00 for a tiny tube,way too rich for my blood so i use a few other creams that don't work good at all but keep it from getting really bad.

4 hours ago, bb1 said:

Is Fortran more secure than Basic based Windows or Android?   Is it compiled in a more difficult way for hackers?

Is Unix or LInux more secure that Windows?

:laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh. FORTRAN (Formula Translation) is a very old language used to process mathematical equations for engineering design and some other applications. Colbol was used in business applications. When I used FORTRAN, you punched out the programming on IBM punch cards and then brought it to a mainframe computer that was bigger than two to three standard refrigerators and ran a batch job. You would then get a printout of the results of the job you ran.

I have no idea what it may have evolved into today, but most likely is no longer widely used.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, RonG said:

I use the same thing, it's in the family of the strongest steroid creams available. Hasn't helped so they tried laser treatment, which was supposedly "approved" and then cost me around $6,000 for less than 10 minutes total. It may have made the mean time between flares get a little longer. Being a guitar player it pretty much blew that away but a lot of people have worse stuff I guess. Believe it or not one of the best things I've found was over the counter Gold Bond Eczema cream. Not cheap but it helps a lot during flares. Good luck!

11 mins ago, RonG said:

@hotfishgirltry Gold Bond cream for exzema, I've used that for dry skin and it has helped with the dry skin/eczema.

Theink the pharmacy at Harvard Vangaurd charged $50 for the tube of clobetasol propionate.

Ha we were typing the same thing at the same time lol. Sadly salt water isn't great for it, and between fishing and surfing it's hell but I'll never quit. To stay on topic the Gold Bond is available at my grocery store.

24 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

:laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh. FORTRAN (Formula Translation) is a very old language used to process mathematical equations for engineering design and some other applications. Colbol was used in business applications. When I used FORTRAN, you punched out the programming on IBM punch cards and then brought it to a mainframe computer that was bigger than two to three standard refrigerators and ran a batch job. You would then get a printout of the results of the job you ran.

I have no idea what it may have evolved into today, but most likely is no longer widely used.

Yes I remember, & I took the first 'data processing' class in my HS (the forerunner to computer classes).

I ask because I ran into a older programmer & he told me he used a old-time OS that I forgot about.  Might have been Colbol?

He said he uses it on his laptop because it is tremdiouselly safe & secure....much better than MS or Unix based (which he didn't trus,t like the Linux offerings).

Fortran and Colbol are not operating systems, they are canned programs to assimilate data.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Yes I remember, & I took the first 'data processing' class in my HS (the forerunner to computer classes).

I ask because I ran into a older programmer & he told me he used a old-time OS that I forgot about.  Might have been Colbol?

He said he uses it on his laptop because it is tremdiouselly safe & secure....much better than MS or Unix based (which he didn't trus,t like the Linux offerings).

Cobol was a widely used language on various IBM platforms back in the day, but was not usually run over UNIX. It's hard to say for sure that UNIX is "safer" than Windows from a technical perspective, the reality is that hackers don't really pay as much attention to UNIX platforms as they do to WIN systems because Windows is more pervasive and thus offers them more opportunities for hacking. I worked on Apollo Aegis/Domain OS then on HPUX  in my younger days, barely remember it after all these years. Old time OS that he may have used Cobol on may be DOS or OS/360 which were popular back then. Or weird ones like Orvyl and Wylbur (software engineers huh?) Fortran and Cobol were also used on the IBM S34, but it had its own OS that I don't remember. Most people on S34s used RPG though... Nowadays if I look at IT ads I don't even recognize the languages. Less than a year to retirement yay...

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Ok, what are the major OS's of the world?    It wasn't basic/dos, windows, unix, linux, mac, but I immediately knew the name?  He said he used it because it's the most secure (especially for banking).

I thought most banking was done on unix (back in the day)?