Grocery Stores

Rate this topic

SkunkLuvver

14 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

also is leaving what you just bought at the grocery store  in your garage for 4 days really necessary?Does anyone know how long the virus can last on a piece of fruit or plastic wrapped item?

Longer than originally thought which was up to 4 days on plastic and stainless steel. Since then, the CDC found coronavirus RNA in a Princes cruise ship 17 days after all the passengers disembarked. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Putting the dirty wipe in your pocket doesn’t sound like a very good idea.

Um, the wipe is not "dirty", it has the chemicals that kill the virus, and they don't just "go away".  If anything, me sticking it in my pocket is disinfecting my pocket............

Now, an untreated used glove in my pocket would be, well, you know.......

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

7 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Um, the wipe is not "dirty", it has the chemicals that kill the virus, and they don't just "go away".  If anything, me sticking it in my pocket is disinfecting my pocket............

Don't worry. From what I've seen most are throwing them onto the parking lot for the store workers to worry about.  

I'll have mine on the rocks.

What I like about people wearing gloves is (as mentioned) it helps remind people not to pick their nose, sneeze into their hand, Touch their face, etc. 

Also if they put them on right before coming in the store it helps keep them from contaminating something with their own corona... what’s already on the store is here and will get spread around no matter what you do.

But yes, if you’re not careful about how you use them they don’t have much benefit at all.

Ive gotten into the habit of when I get in my car to clean my hands with disinfecting wipes then hit my steering wheel, shifter, control knobs, door handles (inside and out), etc.

At the end of the day there’s only so much you can do but every little bit helps even if it’s only to make yourself feel better.. there’s value to that as well.

Breaks over... back to it :( 

33 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

OK. Do what you want. I’m not putting used wipes or gloves in my pockets. I’ll put them in the trash and get new ones as needed. 

14 mins ago, SkunkLuvver said:

What I like about people wearing gloves is (as mentioned) it helps remind people not to pick their nose, sneeze into their hand, Touch their face, etc. 

Also if they put them on right before coming in the store it helps keep them from contaminating something with their own corona... what’s already on the store is here and will get spread around no matter what you do.

But yes, if you’re not careful about how you use them they don’t have much benefit at all.

Ive gotten into the habit of when I get in my car to clean my hands with disinfecting wipes then hit my steering wheel, shifter, control knobs, door handles (inside and out), etc.

At the end of the day there’s only so much you can do but every little bit helps even if it’s only to make yourself feel better.. there’s value to that as well.

Breaks over... back to it :( 

Good info here. Stay safe. 

4 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

also is leaving what you just bought at the grocery store  in your garage for 4 days really necessary?Does anyone know how long the virus can last on a piece of fruit or plastic wrapped item?

I've read that the virus can survive up to 17 hours under ideal conditions on ideal surfaces, so I think 4 days is a little overkill. Also, direct sunlight can kill the virus.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

21 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Don’t go shopping with your spouse unless you’re going to divide and conquer... it’s not a leisurely stroll, it’s get in, get out and try not to catch / spread anything.

This!  I understand if someone needs help physically or something along those lines.  I also get that we’re all losing it stuck at home Looking for stuff to do.  For the love of god leave your spouse/significant other home.  Parents....please one of you stay home with the kids.  It’s not a ****ing playground especially under current conditions.  I was at a local large store at 7 this morning.  The amount of able bodied couples (And a few families) in there was stoopid.  
I’m sure there are extenuating circumstances for some and I get it.

2 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Also if they put them on right before coming in the store it helps keep them from contaminating something with their own corona.

That is a positive point and valid. But I guess it depends on how they put them on, and from what I have seen, most just wont.......... well......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

I saw a sign at the Shaw's in Mansfield asking that only the person doing the shopping to come in. Leave the "causal company" in the car or at home.

THIS I can agree with.

SOL Member #174

4 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Longer than originally thought which was up to 4 days on plastic and stainless steel. Since then, the CDC found coronavirus RNA in a Princes cruise ship 17 days after all the passengers disembarked. 

Yeah, and then there’s that... so who the hell knows at this point. 

I think “best practices” will continue to evolve as we learn more. We’re all just freakin winging it and doing the best we can with what information (accurate or not) that we have at the time.

This whole thing blows.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

I've read that the virus can survive up to 17 hours under ideal conditions on ideal surfaces, so I think 4 days is a little overkill. Also, direct sunlight can kill the virus.

One of the cruise ships still had the virus after being vacant for 17 DAYS. 
:eek:

5 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think the presence of RNA constitutes active viruses.  Kinda like how human RNA/DNA can be found at a crime scene many years after the fact, but it can’t be used for reproduction.  I’m pretty sure the virus needs to inject the RNA into cells before it can take over the host cell’s function and then reproduce.