SkunkLuvver

Grocery Stores

Rate this topic

236 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, FishRatz said:

Thanks for your efforts and advice!

I practice all of your mindsets.

What are your thoughts on the deli , meat and fish market?

At least at my store I think those are safe (relatively speaking)... the sanitation they’re doing is borderline insane. I shopped at my local big y a couple days ago and didn’t hesitate to get cold cuts at the deli and am hitting up the seafood dept at my store regularly.
Not all stores are the same however... you can kinda tell when you walk in if they’re doing it right.

2 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

I work in one and thought I’d start a thread describing some of the behavior I’m seeing from customers both positive and negative and discuss some best practices. 

I run a produce department and most of our products are unwrapped and very susceptible to contamination as are we the employees.

Wash your produce vigorously with soapy water. People sneeze/ cough without covering, pick up items to smell them for ripeness (touching them to their noses) and believe it or not still use handkerchiefs to blow their noses giving them pockets full of cooties and contaminated snot fingers which they then molest the apples and oranges with before moving on.

The six foot rule is a real thing. We’re in crisis mode and I’ve instructed my team members to leave an isle if people are getting too close and leave the floor altogether if it seems unsafe. Please minimize conversation with employees other than to thank them for being there. If a display is empty, we’re out of whatever it is... don’t even bother asking.

When possible, buy packaged items (apples in bags, etc) or pick from the back of the display where the more recently stocked (and less touched) items are.

When you get home, wipe down all packages with sanitizer or for non perishables, leave them in the garage for four days before bringing them in your house. Anything getting eaten without cooking should be washed extremely well before consumption. If you see employees (particularly in produce) not wearing gloves, don’t shop there. Period.

Masks look funny on people and probably feel ridiculous but please oh please wear one when you’re there. Employees shouldn’t wear one as I would need about twenty clean masks per shift to rotate though them without contamination but customers should wear them when possible... just don’t freakin touch them without freshly sanitized hands. Bandanas or scarfs are also acceptable in a pinch.

If you have to sneeze/ cough, use the inside crook of your elbow... not your hand and for the love of god, not uncovered/ projectile style. We’re all going to glare at you and run away no matter what you do but we’ll be very appreciative of the elbow trick.

Shopping carts, baskets and employees are highly contaminated right now. Protect yourself from all of them. Wear disposable rubber gloves and if you’re unable to get any, put your hand in a produce bag and use it like a ghetto mitten.

Dont crowd other customers and even if you’re in a hurry to get out of there, take your time and act thoughtfully being mindful of what you touch with your bare hands and the distance you are from others.

Where I work we have the option of throwing in the towel, going home for two months and riding this out without fear of losing our jobs. Some have chosen to do that but those of us that remain are there to protect each other and out of a sense of civic duty. If we bail, the national guard will take over... nobody wants that.
Some of us are doing 70+ hrs a week and are beyond exhausted so forgive us if we’re not sunshine and rainbows. Just trying to get it done and home safe and healthy-ish.

Above all, be kind to employees and fellow customers alike. Respect everyone’s space even if they’re spacing out looking at their list. On that note, have a list and by all means look at it... but don’t space out. Grocery stores require a situational awareness right now that I never thought would be necessary.

Don’t go shopping with your spouse unless you’re going to divide and conquer... it’s not a leisurely stroll, it’s get in, get out and try not to catch / spread anything.
It will go back to normal once either there’s a vaccine or 80% of the population has gotten this and recovered... both of those things are a long way off so this is going to be the new normal for a while.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant but I just got home after an 11 hour shift surrounded by people with zero awareness so I needed to rant. I feel much better now :)

Anyone else working on the “front lines” as I guess we’re calling it?

Thanks for your hard work:)

13 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Wear disposable rubber gloves and if you’re unable to get any, put your hand in a produce bag and use it like a ghetto mitten.

Having worked in a supermarket for 10 years in another life ;), I certainly don't envy you your job right now. Thanks for being there and doing what you can to keep the food available and keep it safe.

The above, however, needs some discussion. I still don;t get how customers wearing gloves is protecting anyone any more than bare hands. Once you touch a contaminated surface, the outside of the glove is contaminated. And then you touch another surface and that is contaminated, just as it would be with your bare hands. So what is it really protecting?

And the downside is it gives people a false sense of security. Being the observant people watcher that I am, let me go thru a story I saw just the other day.

Saw a woman wearing the disposable gloves will shopping. All the while, she has her phone in her gloved hand to check her shopping list as she walked the aisles. Let's assume that she did in fact touch something that has the virus (however remote that may be). Now any contamination the gloves were "protecting" her from has been transferred to her phone.

Gets to the checkout, puts all her stuff on the belt, reaches into her purse for her wallet (gloves still on) pull out her wallet (now contaminated), pulls out her debit card (also now contaminated), finishes the transaction, and leaves the store with her groceries.

Gets to her car, gloves still on. Open the car door (now the handle of the door is contaminated), puts in her groceries, gets in the car (gloves STILL on), touched the steering wheel (now that is contaminated), starts the car (now the keys are contaminated), and then the doozy, she puts on her winter gloves OVER the disposable gloves, so now the insides of her winter gloves are contaminated.

And you can bet when she got home she didn't give a second thought to all that possibly infected stuff.

So what good did the gloves actually do? To me, possibly more harm than good. And I have seen this type of thing play out over and over and over again.

My routine is grab a provided wipe when I walk in, wipe down the handles of the carriage. Stick it in my pocket too use later (see the cash below) Do my shopping, pay with CASH (that is not in my wallet but in my easily accessible pocket), and leave the store. When I get to my car, I have zip-lock bag of disinfecting wipes. Before I touch a THING in the car, I wipe off my hands and the latch to the driver's door that I touched. Now I am safe to go on my way and not bring it home with me, or at least as safe as can be achieved other than never leaving the house.

It is not like this virus is transdermal, so gloves aren't actually protecting anything. Leave them for the medical professionals and first responders that so desperately need them (and thefood workers as well.)

So please, think these things through a bit, and stay safe. :)

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Having worked in a supermarket for 10 years in another life ;), I certainly don't envy you your job right now. Thanks for being there and doing what you can to keep the food available and keep it safe.

The above, however, needs some discussion. I still don;t get how customers wearing gloves is protecting anyone any more than bare hands. Once you touch a contaminated surface, the outside of the glove is contaminated. And then you touch another surface and that is contaminated, just as it would be with your bare hands. So what is it really protecting?

And the downside is it gives people a false sense of security. Being the observant people watcher that I am, let me go thru a story I saw just the other day.

Saw a woman wearing the disposable gloves will shopping. All the while, she has her phone in her gloved hand to check her shopping list as she walked the aisles. Let's assume that she did in fact touch something that has the virus (however remote that may be). Now any contamination the gloves were "protecting" her from has been transferred to her phone.

Gets to the checkout, puts all her stuff on the belt, reaches into her purse for her wallet (gloves still on) pull out her wallet (now contaminated), pulls out her debit card (also now contaminated), finishes the transaction, and leaves the store with her groceries.

Gets to her car, gloves still on. Open the car door (now the handle of the door is contaminated), puts in her groceries, gets in the car (gloves STILL on), touched the steering wheel (now that is contaminated), starts the car (now the keys are contaminated), and then the doozy, she puts on her winter gloves OVER the disposable gloves, so now the insides of her winter gloves are contaminated.

And you can bet when she got home she didn't give a second thought to all that possibly infected stuff.

So what good did the gloves actually do? To me, possibly more harm than good. And I have seen this type of thing play out over and over and over again.

My routine is grab a provided wipe when I walk in, wipe down the handles of the carriage. Stick it in my pocket too use later (see the cash below) Do my shopping, pay with CASH (that is not in my wallet but in my easily accessible pocket), and leave the store. When I get to my car, I have zip-lock bag of disinfecting wipes. Before I touch a THING in the car, I wipe off my hands and the latch to the driver's door that I touched. Now I am safe to go on my way and not bring it home with me, or at least as safe as can be achieved other than never leaving the house.

It is not like this virus is transdermal, so gloves aren't actually protecting anything. Leave them for the medical professionals and first responders that so desperately need them (and thefood workers as well.)

So please, think these things through a bit, and stay safe. :)

Putting the dirty wipe in your pocket doesn’t sound like a very good idea.  Gloves are fine if you use them smartly. Take the debit card out of your wallet before you go into the store so it’s easily accessible. You can either remove one glove when paying to hold the card with or keep the glove on and wipe the card off later.  Throw the gloves out before getting in the car.  And the most important thing is don’t touch your face at anytime in the store. The gloves can help remind you not to touch your face. 

i keep a small spray bottle of 90 percent  isopropyl alcohol in my pocket book and some paper towels.I clean my shopping cart.I also think rubber gloves in a grocery store is not a  good idea.Good luck finding any masks at this point,hospitals can't even find them.i made my own  sanatizer using a few branches from my aloe plant,tee tree oil,and the isoprpyl.i clean my car door,door knobs,steering wheel when i get home with the isopropyl.Then i scrub down any fruit / vegetables and lastly i scrub my hands.I try to buy enough things so i only need to go out every two weeks.

also is leaving what you just bought at the grocery store  in your garage for 4 days really necessary?Does anyone know how long the virus can last on a piece of fruit or plastic wrapped item?

Thanks Skunk. Great post and great advice!  Thanks for doing what you do!

I don’t obsess about the glove no glove too much as either way you have to practice proper hygiene...  But in truth I do wear a glove when I’m in the stores and try to handle things minimally...   Keep on keep’n on. Good Karma is coming your way......