harley48

De Winterizing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My father bought a new Mako last year, has a Mercury 150 4 stroke. Had it winterized at a Merc dealer per the warranty. Question is, with all businesses shut down can I de winterize it myself without endangering the warranty? Don’t worry about the mechanics, I’m a chief engineer and been working on boats, ships etc for 25 years, I’m more concerned about it not being recorded as done by a dealer and becoming a warranty issue. 

1 min ago, MacCTD said:

Shouldn’t be any issue to do it yourself, there is no requirement for any dealer service to maintain the warranty. 

Thanks Mac, I’ve done the work on the last boat for 20 years and I’m new to this warranty thing. The warranty itself isn’t very clear about it.

Everything should have been done in the fall, oil change, l/u oil, fuel filters - if those were done you should be good to go.

Not really a thing to winterize a 4 stroke.. If anything they added  some ethonal stabilizer to the gas and drain vst and fuel rails to prevent varnish in the fuel system .gas varnish will void your warranty. with your other basic maintance items. Really just prime the primer bulb.  Then prime the vst a couple time with the key on and off while priming the bulb so you dont overwork the high presure pump . Depending how cold your area gets and what engine some have cooling line that run into the fuel rail and oil filter  to keep cool. They could have pulled a line and drained those so they wouldn't freeze and bust  . But that wouldn't stop you on start up .. 

9 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Even less work to do if you finish your season with non-ethanol gas.

I'd pump some out and let it sit in a glass container to see if you got water in there.

Wish I had access to ethanol free fuel, but don't.  In lieu of that I've been a staunch advocate of the following winterization regime for fuel...

1. Religiously using Star brite Star Tron Enzyme fuel additive for ethanol fuel all season long and adding extra before winterization.  
  2. Adding Star brite stabilizer
  3. Ending the season with ~ 1/2 a tank so I throw in a 1/2 tank of fresh gas at the beginning of the season.

When the key gets turned in the spring, the engine fires up...

Since I've had such good success with Star brite products, I haven't felt the need to try others.

Edited by Roccus7