Shag

Who remembers Gorilla Braid?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Loaded up a new reel with 80lb Gorilla for pollack/haddock party boat fishing last year. It looks enough like dacron that I don't get hassled by mates that don't like braid. Not quite as sensitive as the typical brands, but still way better than mono.

16 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

My first braid. I had fits with it and didn't use braid again for a number of years. The spool of line itself lasted a decade as backing for mono. Funny how things change, though in hindsight, I may have had better luck if someone had told me to spool it real tight. I like braids now. 

Mine was Whiplash.  You wanna talk about a nightmare, that stuff drove me and my dad crazy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I remember a buddy using it bass fishing one day, got his PopR caught on a tree limb, pulled the whole limb to the boat.  
He cut some off for me since I needed a new chain for my Husqvarna.

Edited by Pearl Bomber
Typo

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Pearl Bomber said:

I remember a buddy using it bass fishing one day, got his PopR caught on a tree limb, pulled the whole limb to the boat.  
He cut some off for me since I needed a new chain for my Husqvarna.

My most financially beneficial retrieve came under the light. Bucktailing on an out going tide on the only rocks, there were no upper. I snag into a pile of mono, I can tell because of yo-yo back and forth because of the stretch. I yo-yo myself south and it starts to give up, a few more yards and  I see my buchtail. Beyond that is a casting swimmer, a darter, more bucktails. When I got the mess in there were about 4 Gibbs, 2 Mussos and a bunch of 1.5 oz bucktails. In mono time my lead would have been part of game show bonus. 

Edited by Shag

Braid is great, but It’s not for me surfcasting most round reels. Graphite was my game changer, tactical clips were a nice upgrade too.

24 mins ago, Shag said:

My most financially beneficial retrieve came under the light. Bucktailing on an out going tide on the only rocks, there were no upper. I snag into a pile of mono, I can tell because of yo-yo back and forth because of the stretch. I yo-yo myself south and it starts to give up, a few more yards and  I see my buchtail. Beyond that is a casting swimmer, a darter, more bucktails. When I got the mess in there were about 4 Gibbs, 2 Mussos and a bunch of 1.5 oz bucktails. In mono time my lead would have been part of game show bonus. 

That’s a haul for the record books. Too bad there wasn’t a goldie VS200 on a honey rod at the end of the line! Ha!

Never tried the gorilla braid. My first braid was that stren Kevlar stuff like you said Pete buck tailing an inlet was great! Next up was magicbraid. Both of these 2 you had to glue knots! Powerpro was very good cept in the lighter tests. Setteled on suffix 832.