Shag

Who remembers Gorilla Braid?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I Went to one show this season, saw a few familiar faces, but the age of the majority of the guys could have been my kids, or past students. So I’m using Gorilla Braid as a defining moment in the evolution of tackle and maybe society( since I was in the group asked by a religious leader  to sacrifice myself for the economy). But, not to diverge, Gorilla Braid changed the game for me. The sensitivity of feeling the swirl before the hit, or every pebble along the bottom while I bucktailed an inlet, the solid hook set often ripping the hook through the mouth of a smaller fish. Or solid hook sets through the bone just before the gullet, that you had tp

dive your hand to retrieve your buck tail. I would say for me the biggest technological advance in tackle was braid. What’s your opinion? 

I never used Gorilla, but I remember fishing next to people that did.  Between the two-tone color and how thick it was it looked like everyone was using rope.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Kima said:

I never used Gorilla, but I remember fishing next to people that did.  Between the two-tone color and how thick it was it looked like everyone was using rope.

I remember it getting fuzzy, but still strong, and thinner than 20 lb mono. Two tone must have been more money, mine was gray.

Edited by Shag

My first braid. I had fits with it and didn't use braid again for a number of years. The spool of line itself lasted a decade as backing for mono. Funny how things change, though in hindsight, I may have had better luck if someone had told me to spool it real tight. I like braids now. 

7 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

My first braid. I had fits with it and didn't use braid again for a number of years. The spool of line itself lasted a decade as backing for mono. Funny how things change, though in hindsight, I may have had better luck if someone had told me to spool it real tight. I like braids now. 

Yes, my old Crack 300 still has Ande pink 20#, gorilla was tough enough to handle on the 704. Crack is hanging on his yellow friend in the garage rafters, telling stories of the good old days.

Edited by Shag

Fenwick Iron thread around 1999 was my first experience with braid...........

Never looked back....

Fishing 100% braid for 20 years and going to mono was insane......I felt like I didnt know how to set a hook...it was fun for a bit....lol

They still sell it at Walmart sometimes, I’ve only seen it in 50#. It’s white with like a green color woven in. I never knew much about it before this thread actually lol. 

Edited by jk20a3

I still have some Gorilla braid that's still in use as running line on my 8 through 10 weights

Thick enough that you don't have to worry about a braid cut

And Scoob, Iron thread was my first line as well

I remember using it as a kid. My dad bought all new Shimano bullwhip rods and bait runner reels after the moritorium. They were strung up with it. Thanks for the old memories. I'll never forget those days and how crazy the fishing was. 

Here's something you don't hear every day: It was Otter who helped me through my early learning curve with braid when I came back to it.