gorkmonster

TA Clip Compatibility

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Per the OP's request in another thread about the same question I called Alberto Knie.  His reputation is well known.  He's also the originator and owner of Tactical Anglers, the company that makes the clips in question.  We talked at length about this question.  I'm waiting for him to get back to me about the wire diameter.  

He pointed out a couple things to consider.  First and most importantly if the wire is too close to the size of the eye the action and freedom of movement of the bucktail will be impaired.  His feeling is that the wire size of the clip should be about the same size as the hook wire to achieve maximum action.

In addition he mentioned that some guys are using clips that are too large.  With the new super braid lines being so much stronger the general trend is to tighten down on the reel drag and that in turn puts more of the load on the terminal tackle like the hooks and line attaching hardware.  

One last thing he cautioned about is the proliferation of bogus copies of the TA clips.  The real TA's are made with a proprietary stainless steel allow that gives it the strength that is needed in a quality product.  Knock off copies are made with inferior metals and don't have the same strength.

This reply will be repeated in the Commercial B/S/T thread where the OP asked me the same thing.  This is good information and feel it should be repeated here.

7 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Per the OP's request in another thread about the same question I called Alberto Knie.  His reputation is well known.  He's also the originator and owner of Tactical Anglers, the company that makes the clips in question.  We talked at length about this question.  I'm waiting for him to get back to me about the wire diameter.  

He pointed out a couple things to consider.  First and most importantly if the wire is too close to the size of the eye the action and freedom of movement of the bucktail will be impaired.  His feeling is that the wire size of the clip should be about the same size as the hook wire to achieve maximum action.

In addition he mentioned that some guys are using clips that are too large.  With the new super braid lines being so much stronger the general trend is to tighten down on the reel drag and that in turn puts more of the load on the terminal tackle like the hooks and line attaching hardware.  

One last thing he cautioned about is the proliferation of bogus copies of the TA clips.  The real TA's are made with a proprietary stainless steel allow that gives it the strength that is needed in a quality product.  Knock off copies are made with inferior metals and don't have the same strength.

This reply will be repeated in the Commercial B/S/T thread where the OP asked me the same thing.  This is good information and feel it should be repeated here.

I tried a 75 lb TA in several of the bare jig heads you sent me up to 1 oz, and they were too big for the eye.  I then tried it on the Bucktails, I think the smallest one I got from you was 1/2 oz, although it may be 3/4, and the clip fits fine with room to move.  Here is a picture:

IMG_1404.JPG

5 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I tried a 75 lb TA in several of the bare jig heads you sent me up to 1 oz, and they were too big for the eye.  I then tried it on the Bucktails, I think the smallest one I got from you was 1/2 oz, although it may be 3/4, and the clip fits fine with room to move.  Here is a picture:

IMG_1404.JPG

Good information!  I do have 3/4 oz bucktails that work well with 75 lb clips.  It's when I get down to 1/2 oz that the 75 becomes too big, and am looking for solutions.

4 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

Good information!  I do have 3/4 oz bucktails that work well with 75 lb clips.  It's when I get down to 1/2 oz that the 75 becomes too big, and am looking for solutions.

I think I might give the split rings a shot. Same question though on the gauge of the steel, I think that would require going down to the 50lb split ring. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

33 mins ago, fishhappy said:

IMG_1404.JPG

We have to be careful using that head as a model.  The weight will be deceiving.  That particular head is made with tin, not lead.  Result is it will be lighter than a more conventional head of the same physical size.

Of the three you recently got from me which one is it?  The largest, smallest or the middle.  From that I can figure out what size it is in lead.

Edited by Dan Tinman

Not saying this is a solution for all but hoping for some it may be...

I tend to make it myself when something isn't quite what I need/want and my homemade clips are one of them.

It came out much stronger than 125lb TA clip, consistently, on my own tests and size can certainly made to fit your needs.

homemade-clip.jpg.e5f12287c288448f1754727dbb09c205.jpg

27 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

We have to be careful using that head as a model.  The weight will be deceiving.  That particular head is made with tin, not lead.  Result is it will be lighter than a more conventional head of the same physical size.

Of the three you recently got from me which one is it?  The largest, smallest or the middle.  From that I can figure out what size it is in lead.

Smallest

Alberto got back to me quicker than I expected.  Here's the deal.  The wire diameter on a 50lb TA clip is .039".  A 75lb clip is .050".  For most (I stress most) saltwater surf bucktails like bullet heads and Smilin' Bills I use a 5/0 Mustad #34185 hook in the 1/2 oz sizes. The eye opening on that hook is about .087".  The difference between the wire diameter and hook opening isn't much.  There are other factors to consider.  First, the bend of the clip will add to the resistance to move freely.  In addition those hooks are painted with heat cured powder and that will tend to close the opening.  Properly cured powder is tough stuff (that's why I use it) so the idea of just cleaning it out of the hook eye is not practical.  

Now getting back to the hooks I "usually " use.  The manufacturer, Mustad, is phasing out their line of short shank hooks which is what I use the most of.  The hardest to get now is that 5/0 size so I sometimes have to use a substitute which has a smaller eye.  

Having absorbed all this the best I can tell you is that the smallest of the common bucktails I make that will work on a 75lb TA clip is usually the 1/2 oz.  However, this question has brought several responses in this and another thread that the 50lb clip is sufficient.  All this information leads me to agree with that wisdom.  Just be sure to do 2 things.  Make sure you're using the real McCoy, authentic TA clips and don't lockdown your drag.  It's there for a reason.

Hope this has helped.

21 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Smallest

Thanks.  In lead that would be a 3/4 oz head.  Those use a 6/0 hook.  The eye in that one measures .102" which is about 18% bigger.  

I didn’t read the whole thread but, so this might have been said before; nobody ties direct anymore?  If I’m fishing a buck tail only area, I start out with an extra long leader. I use a double clinch or Rapala knot. Changing weights, snip,  tie again. Leader gets too short, tie on another one. Especially with smaller bucktails a snap or a clip is almost as long as the head. Granted we are all using line weights that enable us to tighten down, but years ago when I first started using gorilla braid, I had coastlocks. never straightened one. Straightened plenty of 3x Mustads though. On a side note; braid was the best thing to come along; but it was the increased sensitivity to me, not the awesomeness of strength to diameter ratio. 

2 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

Thanks.  I am wondering what bucktails you are using.  I was just looking for examples of small bucktails and small soft plastic hooks that fit 75 lb clips.

Sorry for the harsh response, I was just i bit worried this thread was going to be permanently derailed.  

I mostly throw andrus

50 lb is what I use and all I need..........If my fish bends it.....it was a great day and creates a great fishing story............use the 50#

Not sure why you would use a 75lb TA clip for a jig head......or anything off the surf for that reason........like I said 50lb is great. In fact most of my stripers this past year ( all shorts unfortunately ) were caught on the teaser rig that has 25 lb TA clips..........just an opinion

I FG long leaders on, works great with the rods I throw that weight stuff on. Tie a loop knot to it, and unless I break off or throwing gotcha plugs or crappie jigs and getting cut off alot it often last me until I feel I need to change it.

3 hours ago, Seakarp said:

Well, you could just add a split ring to the small eyed lures.

It would make using the clip of your choice easy peasy.

I often add one when the position of the clipping point makes putting on the clip a pain in the azz.:wave:

good idea..works on pretty much all store bought swimmers  already..why not jigs.  ty sir.:howdy: