gorkmonster

TA Clip Compatibility

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use 75 lb TA clips for most of my striper fishing, but they don't fit through the hook eyes on my small jigs and soft plastics.

 

I'm looking for the following with eyes that can fit a 75 lb TA clip comfortably:

 

1. 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz bucktail heads (i like to wrap my own)

 

2. 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 screw lock hooks for small soft plastics like albie snax and flukes

 

3. 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz jig heads for various soft plastics like shad bodies and fin-s fish

 

If anyone has found examples that work, I'd be greatly appreciative of your input.  I'd like suggestions that aren't to costly if possible.

 

*I'm not interested in suggestions for 50 lb TA Clips.

 

Edited by gorkmonster
Recieved to many suggestions for 50 lb TA clips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

This!

TA makes all different sizes.  

 

13 mins ago, Bow3022 said:

Why don't you use the 50lb? Its not gonna break.

Yes it will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

 

Yes it will.

Bump down to 50# there is absolutely no reason those clips should fail if used correctly. Especially when you consider that the baits your using are smaller and the hooks are lighter/thinner. You will bend out the hook before your clip fails. 

Light tackle is all about using your drag correctly and knowing how to apply pressure to your tackle and the fish. I've landed 20# bass on 15# leader before without issue, there's no reason a 50# clip isn't up to the task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Bump down to 50# there is absolutely no reason those clips should fail if used correctly. Especially when you consider that the baits your using are smaller and the hooks are lighter/thinner. You will bend out the hook before your clip fails. 

Light tackle is all about using your drag correctly and knowing how to apply pressure to your tackle and the fish. I've landed 20# bass on 15# leader before without issue, there's no reason a 50# clip isn't up to the task.

This is true but I do notice that they bend out of shape rather easily. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rig your rod up with the line and leader you use, tie on a 50lb TA clip, then a hook/jig you actually use, reel set at a drag setting you actually use and pin the hook to a fence or tent peg about 30-40' from you and bend the TA clip open.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Bump down to 50# there is absolutely no reason those clips should fail if used correctly. Especially when you consider that the baits your using are smaller and the hooks are lighter/thinner. You will bend out the hook before your clip fails. 

Light tackle is all about using your drag correctly and knowing how to apply pressure to your tackle and the fish. I've landed 20# bass on 15# leader before without issue, there's no reason a 50# clip isn't up to the task.

 

23 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Rig your rod up with the line and leader you use, tie on a 50lb TA clip, then a hook/jig you actually use, reel set at a drag setting you actually use and pin the hook to a fence or tent peg about 30-40' from you and bend the TA clip open.

 

I'm in total agreement with you all that a 50 lb clip can handle big bass.  As a matter of fact, I've landed many big fish to 35# on them in heavy current.  I've also deformed many on fish that got the clip wedged in the corner of the mouth and took a run with it.

 

All of you who are telling me to use 50 lb clips are missing the point of this post.  The intent was to ask for examples of small jigs and hooks that work with 75 lb clips.  If you don't have any and still want to say something, you may start another thread about how strong 50 lb TA clips are. I will gladly chime in.  Can we please get back on topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, gorkmonster said:

 

I'm in total agreement with you all that a 50 lb clip can handle big bass.  As a matter of fact, I've landed many big fish to 35# on them in heavy current.  I've also deformed many on fish that got the clip wedged in the corner of the mouth and took a run with it.

 

All of you who are telling me to use 50 lb clips are missing the point of this post.  The intent was to ask for examples of small jigs and hooks that work with 75 lb clips.  If you don't have any and still want to say something, you may start another thread about how strong 50 lb TA clips are. I will gladly chime in.  Can we please get back on topic.

Find a jig with a big hook eye then. I put 1/2 oz bucktails on 125 clips regularly. I don’t understand the question really. Look for a jig with a beefy hook and eye. 
Also I would go easy on the other responses. They’re taking time to give you solid advice that you are shunning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you could just add a split ring to the small eyed lures.

It would make using the clip of your choice easy peasy.

I often add one when the position of the clipping point makes putting on the clip a pain in the azz.:wave:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Well, you could just add a split ring to the small eyed lures.

It would make using the clip of your choice easy peasy.

I often add one when the position of the clipping point makes putting on the clip a pain in the azz.:wave:

Interesting, would you recommend the size 6 50lb split ring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about tying a 3’ mono leader directly to the small jig or soft plastic, then tying a split ring to the other end of the leader. To use this modified lure, just clip the split ring into your existing TA clip and away you go. Use a longer leader if it does not interfere with your casting.

 

Certainly a bit inconvenient but meets your criteria of being cost-effective. You could store each jig with its coiled up leader in a small zip lock or looped around a piece of soft foam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, PaddleTail said:

Find a jig with a big hook eye then. I put 1/2 oz bucktails on 125 clips regularly. I don’t understand the question really. Look for a jig with a beefy hook and eye. 
Also I would go easy on the other responses. They’re taking time to give you solid advice that you are shunning 

Thanks.  I am wondering what bucktails you are using.  I was just looking for examples of small bucktails and small soft plastic hooks that fit 75 lb clips.

 

Sorry for the harsh response, I was just i bit worried this thread was going to be permanently derailed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Seakarp said:

Well, you could just add a split ring to the small eyed lures.

It would make using the clip of your choice easy peasy.

I often add one when the position of the clipping point makes putting on the clip a pain in the azz.:wave:

Thanks.  This has actually been my solution up until now! However, it would be nice to find products that don't need that modification.  I'm starting to wonder if they're even produced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.