gellfex

Sifting soil out of 3/4 gravel?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

So, in 2005 I thought I was making a low maintenance backyard in a rental by laying down landscaping cloth covered by 3 inches of 3/4" gravel. But over the years the leaves from the trees there have made so much humus that weeds have no problem growing in the gravel. No, I did not rake the leaves. So now, I'm trying to figure out what to do besides spray Roundup and spread Pre-Emergent. In theory ,there's a device called a 'Trommel' that can sift out the small stuff, it's like a tilted tube with holes that rotates so as you shovel into one end clean gravel comes out the other. But available ones tend to be large, and I'd have to DIY one to go that route.

Anyone ever dealt with a similar situation? My wife says just lay down another few inches of gravel, but I think crap would still grow.

This is the best DIY trommel design I've seen. Using the bike rims is genius.

Not sure how much you plan to do but for smallish quantities I use a plastic crate.  Put a few inches in it and shake it over a wheelbarrow 

Just now, JimW said:

Not sure how much you plan to do but for smallish quantities I use a plastic crate.  Put a few inches in it and shake it over a wheelbarrow 

Doing 5 yards that way would get old real fast!

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Anyone ever dealt with a similar situation? My wife says just lay down another few inches of gravel, but I think crap would still grow.

I vote with your wife. Nothing like telling a wife she was right.

Crap always grows but topping off looks good for a while.  5 yds is a project to sift.  I’ve raked it into rows and let rain clean it but my wife is real patient 

I have shell and stones in the pits outside my basement egress windows. ( Not 5 yards) Part of the power washing process in the late spring.

I need to get a weed torch. Going to use it to remove oil and transmission fluid stains on my concrete paver driveway.... Saw it on youtube and cant wait to give it a go....

57 mins ago, ccb said:

Use that on you boat / shrink wrap?

Don’t think you want to get close to shrink wrap with one of those.

My boat has been in the garage for the last 8 years  :(

2 hours ago, nightfighter said:

I need to get a weed torch. Going to use it to remove oil and transmission fluid stains on my concrete paver driveway.... Saw it on youtube and cant wait to give it a go....

I might give that a try.