harley48

Migration Thoughts

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, harley48 said:

With all of the restrictions in place for NJ, NY etc. do you think the stripers will get a much needed reprieve as they move north?

well,that depends on which ones pass through the ghetto stretches of water.

that's where they will be taken despite the regs.

personally,I'll take a fish if it's 32-35 maybe 3-4  per year,maybe less.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

3 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

well,that depends on which ones pass through the ghetto stretches of water.

that's where they will be taken despite the regs.

personally,I'll take a fish if it's 32-35 maybe 3-4  per year,maybe less.

HH

My father and I started C&R anything over 34 a few years ago. I think the 28-30 are the best eating anyway

Most party/head boats probably won't be allowed to sail due to it being a group gathering (from what I understand). This in particular effects many NY/NJ boats in April, when the big female fish normally get killed left and right. Can't "socially distance" when you're shoulder to shoulder.

5 mins ago, harley48 said:

My father and I started C&R anything over 34 a few years ago. I think the 28-30 are the best eating anyway

kudos to you and yer pop for that,,,I have been given short fish before it was 25 inches,the guy didn't know the regs,he prolly caught it by accident,while scup fishing.

he gave it to me and I cooked it,it was great.

very tasty and almost no red meat.

it was just not enough for me that's what made me use my own minimum length of 32 inches,just enough with some steak fires/franks hot sauce.

but,yes,I agree with you.

HH

9 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Most party/head boats probably won't be allowed to sail due to it being a group gathering (from what I understand). This in particular effects many NY/NJ boats in April, when the big female fish normally get killed left and right. Can't "socially distance" when you're shoulder to shoulder.

that should be a plus on the fish's end,perhaps it will help them make it north.

HH

Just now, Heavy Hooksetter said:

kudos to you and yer pop for that,,,I have been given short fish before it was 25 inches,the guy didn't know the regs,he prolly caught it by accident,while scup fishing.

he gave it to me and I cooked it,it was great.

very tasty and almost no red meat.

it was just not enough for me that's what made me use my own minimum length of 32 inches,just enough with some steak fires/franks hot sauce.

but,yes,I agree with you.

HH

Anywhere in there are great eating, up around 38+ I think get a little tougher. We’ve both gone through the “trophy” stage of our lives when we were younger, no need to kill the breeders in my opinion

18 mins ago, harley48 said:

Anywhere in there are great eating, up around 38+ I think get a little tougher. We’ve both gone through the “trophy” stage of our lives when we were younger, no need to kill the breeders in my opinion

def agree.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm hoping that the warm winter and early spring will get the breeders up the Hudson and back out before people here get stir-crazy and loosen up their seclusion routines. I have a 19' walk-thru which me and my bud are satisfied provides enough distancing to go hook some up.

NYS regs above GW bridge state that you can keep 18-28" and >40".  wipes out the males and the super breeders. Not enough males and eggs go unfertilized until silt covers them up.

Edited by ANGCorsair

There are less fisherman on the Hudson this season for sure. I was solo out there for most of my 13 trips to the river since late Feb. I will definitely harvest a few  25-27” for ceviche post April-1. However, they may be long gone in my area in April as they showed up very early this year.

59 mins ago, cheech said:

There are less fisherman on the Hudson this season for sure. I was solo out there for most of my 13 trips to the river since late Feb. I will definitely harvest a few  25-27” for ceviche post April-1. However, they may be long gone in my area in April as they showed up very early this year.

I heard that schoolies were as high as Newburgh Beacon Bridge. That would be great if some spawners get out before 1 April.

With 1-1.5 million bass heading up the Henry Hudson they will proliferate once again. Since the 2015 season start change (3-15 to 4-1), and implemented slot, the tidal Hudson numbers and size of fish I’ve released has grown yearly. Any new regs will be in place by 4-1. The only changes I’ve heard discussed are mandatory circle hooks for bait, to start in the 2021 season.

17 hours ago, ANGCorsair said:

NYS regs above GW bridge state that you can keep 18-28" and >40".  wipes out the males and the super breeders. Not enough males and eggs go unfertilized until silt covers them up.

It's going to be 18-28" only this year, no >40".  Don't think the regulation has been published yet, but be aware.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

It's going to be 18-28" only this year, no >40".  Don't think the regulation has been published yet, but be aware.

That would be awesome!