codyk35

vs100 or vs150 for 10ft blackhole suzuki

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

i have my eyes set on a van staal to pair with my 10ft blackhole suzuki. im leaning vs100 for the weight and slower retreive. i also plan on using mainly 20lb braid. is the vs100 too small or the vs150 a better fit for that rod? thanks in advance.

I have no experience with the 10’ Suzuki but if I were shopping for a reel to put on a 10 footer I’d go bigger than the 100-150 series for sure. I have a 250 on a 10’ Avid and a 150 on a 9’ ODM if that helps.

I'd meet in the middle and go with like a VR175, or VR125. Vs would be A bit heavy on that rod (I have the 9'6), and IMHO the drag on the 125 or 150 is laughable for such a heavy duty reel. The VR has much more drag, and less weight.

9 hours ago, codyk35 said:

i have my eyes set on a van staal to pair with my 10ft blackhole suzuki. im leaning vs100 for the weight and slower retreive. i also plan on using mainly 20lb braid. is the vs100 too small or the vs150 a better fit for that rod? thanks in advance.

I would recommend buying a VSX until they start to produce at least 50% of their advertised drag pressure. 

There have been several threads here in the last year with disapponted VSX customers. 

I use a Penn Battle II 4500 on my 10 ft. Its the right weight for that rod. I d go with the smaller VS. You are gonna love the rod.

8 hours ago, ASrod said:

I have no experience with the 10’ Suzuki but if I were shopping for a reel to put on a 10 footer I’d go bigger than the 100-150 series for sure. I have a 250 on a 10’ Avid and a 150 on a 9’ ODM if that helps.

Suzuki is not a normal rod. a 250 is way to big for it.

Sorry for my curt initial post - was busy last night.

Fishing the VR50 on the Suzuki 10 was my favorite combo. It worked much better than when I tried my VSX 150 on that rod. I would very much think an alternative may be a new gen Stradic 5000 or maybe the new Tsunami Salt x 4000 if it is good.

The smaller spool, bailed VR50 was superior in casting through the very small guides of the zooki -  and I actually felt the drag on the VR50 was stronger and smoother - this is where it had to all come together. You see, the Suzuki 10' Beeeeeends a lot. You will need smooth, strong drag if you want to play a fish with this rod.Casting distance, light combo, enough drag. That makes it a special combo...mess one up, and the rod is not as fun. The right setup will cast light lures a long way. 

The VR50 Handle has surprisingly enough torque to fight large Bluefish or Bass in current. I put 13lb bluefish on it in current and it handled the task (ask Ross). Yes, I had a $%&$ eating grin on my face during the fight. Great combo. GL

On 3/25/2020 at 10:27 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

I'd meet in the middle and go with like a VR175, or VR125. Vs would be A bit heavy on that rod (I have the 9'6), and IMHO the drag on the 125 or 150 is laughable for such a heavy duty reel. The VR has much more drag, and less weight.

Vr 150 is 4 oz. heavier than a vs 150.

I have both...I like the VR but the  Vs is a much better reel.

I have used the VSX 150 on this rod and was very happy with it. I have never used the VR50, so have no reference to compare. Also my VSX150 is very smooth and not tight. If it was tight like others I have used I would likely be looking at a smoother less tight reel (VR50 from what I have read). 

VS150, not VX not VR not VZ and definitely not VD! I paired my 9'6" Suzuki with a bailess VS150 and that combo proved itself landing large last season. For the 10ftr. from what I here that rod has less backbone than the 9'6" but a great rod nonetheless, put a VS150 bailess or bailed on that badboy and show no mercy!!