Canal 2020

Rate this topic

codfish

10 mins ago, z-man said:
Name: Lead Symbol: Pb Atomic Number: 82. Atomic Mass: 207.2 amu. Melting Point: 327.5 ° C (600.65 K, 621.5 °F) Boiling Point: 1740.0 °C ...

Boiling Point: 1740.0 °C (2013.15 K, 3164.0 °F)

Number of Protons/Electrons: 82

Number of Neutrons: 125

Atomic Mass: 207.2 amu

OK thanks for the info (I'm to lazy to look it up), but my point was the boiling point of lead is pretty much out of reach for most people in the industry...…………….

17 mins ago, b-ware said:

OK thanks for the info (I'm to lazy to look it up), but my point was the boiling point of lead is pretty much out of reach for most people in the industry...…………….

Bernie,

I concur that overheating the lead was likely my problem. However the crumbling problem went away when I mixed lead pipe in with the melted tire weights.

So this raises another question.  Could the melting/boiling point of tire weights be different that that if lead?

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

I concur that overheating the lead was likely my problem. However the crumbling problem went away when I mixed lead pipe in with the melted tire weights.

So this raises another question.  Could the melting/boiling point of tire weights be different that that if lead?

Defenatly, It's not the lead that causes the problems but what it is alloyed with...………. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:
Name: Lead Symbol: Pb Atomic Number: 82. Atomic Mass: 207.2 amu. Melting Point: 327.5 ° C (600.65 K, 621.5 °F) Boiling Point: 1740.0 °C ...

Boiling Point: 1740.0 °C (2013.15 K, 3164.0 °F)

Number of Protons/Electrons: 82

Number of Neutrons: 125

Atomic Mass: 207.2 amu

A while ago I came into some special jig heads that after almost 60 years ago they were cast, still have a bright and shiny finish to them .

Understanding that lead for the most part will tarnish once exposed to air , It make me wonder if a percentage of Nickle Allow was added to the mix that prevented these heads from becoming tarnished over these many years? I know when ever I spoke to Mr, K in regards as to why some of his spoon jigs shined better then lead heads he poured . Tin also could give it a shine as well I suppose , but it comes to  a matter of how the final product will weigh. Nickles melting point is much higher then tin or lead as you know. Depending upon how much Nickle /Nickle alloy added to the mix, could account for different weights out of the same mold is possible?  What I find interesting is that I am pretty sure that the same mold was used and i have three different weights  1 ounce 1.1 ounces and 1.3 ounces plus the heads are bright and shiny . Do you think that using Nickle in the original pour could account for these differences some 60 years later on the shine , not so much on the weight other then different amounts of nickle was used in multiple pours. Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

7 mins ago, codfish said:

What's your take on these??

sluggo_special_head__61124.1428943974.jpg

These are my favorite for Sluggos. They tear the plastic the least when you put them on the hook. I superglue the Sluggos on the shank and they're good to go.

I used to shave down the collar and barb on jigheads before I started using these.

Edited by zak-striper

2 hours ago, codfish said:

What's your take on these??

sluggo_special_head__61124.1428943974.jpg

Nice easy slide on with out cutting into the bait. Have you to put them on a scale to see what the actual weight is on the different sizes you pour

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal