codfish

Canal 2020

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

Even if the canal was closed in June for example, I bet there will still be dozens if not hundreds of guys fishing the good tides (and poaching of course).  Close the lots, no big deal, they will just park somewhere and bike in.  Especially at night.  Canal is ground zero for dirt bag fisherman that have no respect for the law or the fish.  It will not be enforceable.  I highly doubt it would ever be closed anyways...

If the canal is closed to fishing the boat guys will be fishing in there like never before. Sure there is the occasional boat fisherman, but stop shore fishing and it will be crazy. 

As as far as jig. I use Joe Baggs Eel jig 99% of the time. 

Edited by ged

Well today’s topics have trended gross so I will go and say it, but I’m game for wearing chaps if people stay 6ft or more away. 

I suspect this year may see at least a partial canal closing. I don’t see them kicking people who walk in out, but parking closures are possible. Just in case, I bounced a jig on the bottom last Friday. Didn’t catch, obviously, but I have now hit the canal for 2020. 

12 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Both styles work well for me. :)

20170908_003502.jpg.b20e9c17c17468f686208f39a4c59637.jpg

20170908_061345.jpg.058c42423c18aa1bf8ddb5d8d2263548.jpg

Good stuff, stay flexible and keep a few jig styles/weights ready to go.

20200315_201924.jpg.f56964486edfe7a2748b91c2e1844199.jpg20200315_201909.jpg.76fcdb5c79f5374e64568ade276f9c31.jpg

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Codfish what makes you think you'll be able to fish the canal this year? I've already resigned myself to the fact that things may be different this year, and not for the better. 

Good point Bob:) My guess they will open the Canal Mid to late May for 3 months just my two cents, what say you??

Just now, codfish said:

Good point Bob:) My guess they will open the Canal Mid to late May for 3 months just my two cents, what say you??

Why for 3 months? I think it will be business as usual once we get the all clear on Covid 19. Communities will want to try to recover economically and get back on track after this.

2 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Why for 3 months? I think it will be business as usual once we get the all clear on Covid 19. Communities will want to try to recover economically and get back on track after this.

Another good point, I think it will be a wait and see approach :)

13 hours ago, codfish said:

You're far more optimistic than I am. If you're basing that on the presumption that this pandemic will be resolved in a few weeks, you might be disappointed.

My plan is to break out my vise, and begin tying midges. Run out to the Swift or the Deerfield a couple times a week if the canal shuts down.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

You're far more optimistic than I am. If you're basing that on the presumption that this pandemic will be resolved in a few weeks, you might be disappointed.

My plan is to break out my vise, and begin tying midges. Run out to the Swift or the Deerfield a couple times a week if the canal shuts down.

And carry then virus out here...………...stay home like your supposed to...………………...

12 mins ago, bob_G said:

You too, you uncaring person.:p

Uncaring person......………………  that's low...

Besides that, F&G is stocking millions of fish in Cape ponds, why would anyone travel 2+ hours to fish for the same stocked fish???????????????

PS give Burkie a call and maybe him and his buddies will show you how to tie Cape Cod flies and how to use them...………..

42 mins ago, b-ware said:

Uncaring person......………………  that's low...

Besides that, F&G is stocking millions of fish in Cape ponds, why would anyone travel 2+ hours to fish for the same stocked fish???????????????

PS give Burkie a call and maybe him and his buddies will show you how to tie Cape Cod flies and how to use them...………..

I was thinking after I'm done at the Swift, we'd hook up at Debbie Wong's and split a pu pu platter for two.