Jefffahfffah

What am I doing wrong?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I've been fishing my whole life. But I only really got into fishing for stripers last fall. I caught 5 stripers, and they were all on bunker chunks in the lower Hudson River. In the several outings I've had at the shore, and in the back bays along the shore, I have never seen a striped bass. There was one night in November where I was fishing Shark River and something was slashing through a large school of peanut bunker, but whatever it was wasn't taking my popper. 

Now, I've looked up how to read a beach. I hop between a few jetties during my trips. I look for birds and bait. But I just cannot find the fish. I've filled my tackle box with poppers, darters, SPs, swimbaits, bucktails, metals. I just wanna have a successful day (or night) of plugging, and I feel like I'm taking all the right steps.

Is there something I'm missing, or do I just need to fish more often and get lucky?

OK, here's the plan. Go down to the beach toward sunset. Take all of your equipment and plugs with you. At precisely 6:45 throw everything into the ocean, extend your middle finger, walk away and find the nearest golf supply store or bar! Enjoy!

4 mins ago, nam1969 said:

OK, here's the plan. Go down to the beach toward sunset. Take all of your equipment and plugs with you. At precisely 6:45 throw everything into the ocean, extend your middle finger, walk away and find the nearest golf supply store or bar! Enjoy!

Unfortunately both are closed. :shaky:

20 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I've been fishing my whole life. But I only really got into fishing for stripers last fall. I caught 5 stripers, and they were all on bunker chunks in the lower Hudson River. In the several outings I've had at the shore, and in the back bays along the shore, I have never seen a striped bass. There was one night in November where I was fishing Shark River and something was slashing through a large school of peanut bunker, but whatever it was wasn't taking my popper. 

Now, I've looked up how to read a beach. I hop between a few jetties during my trips. I look for birds and bait. But I just cannot find the fish. I've filled my tackle box with poppers, darters, SPs, swimbaits, bucktails, metals. I just wanna have a successful day (or night) of plugging, and I feel like I'm taking all the right steps.

Is there something I'm missing, or do I just need to fish more often and get lucky?

Dont fret, you are taking the right steps.  The more and more Ive fished the more Ive realized that fishing has only little to do with luck.  I think of it this way:  I have been interested in fishing my entire life and fished every minute I could when my family would spend time in florida, usually a couple weeks a year through my childhood and my teens.  When I was 21 and got back from college I started fishing for striped bass like a maniac, like 5-7x a week during the "season" which I roughly defined as april-december, and eventually got into fishing a bunch during the winter as well and could catch fish somewhat consistently.  5 years into it I thought I was pretty good, catching more fish consistently, and of better quality.  6 years later and I now realize 26 year old me was still an amateur, 5 years from now I will probably have the same realization about today.  I am fortunate enough to fish with people who are 10-20 years my senior and have been non stop fishing for striped bass for as long, if not longer, than I've been alive.  They are some of the best bass fisherman I've come to meet and they are still learning every time they step out on the water.  My point is 1 year of bass fishing in the grand scheme of things is very little, dont get yourself down on the learning curve, we've all had to go through that.  Were all still going through it.   You're not doing something wrong, if you keep at it you're on a progression to become more efficient over time.  Keep at it. 

When you first start out unless you have someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do you'll have to rely on luck at first.  Remember what worked in a certain situation and what did not, you'll start to put together some patterns.   Some patterns can hold true for hours, days, weeks, and full seasons.   Eventually you'll have lots of weapons in your arsenal and can say to yourself something like: I know in late september when there are mullet around, at this spot ive had success at the bottom half of outgoing swinging a swimmer over this exact sandbar.  If you really learn the ins and outs of a spot sometimes you'll get to the point where you can make a couple casts and say, they arent here, or atleast not feeding.  Take a step back and think about why.  Is it the middle of the moon and the current is fairly light? Is the water stained or is the bait for some reason absent today?  Youre on the right track, keep going.

Edited by bbfish

Thank you guys for your help. It would definitely help to live close to the shore, as I'm sure I'd find myself pulling over onto the beach if I ever saw birds working or bait breaking the surface during my daily routine. I think a journal is going to be a big help, as will sheer persistence. I also think I'm gonna focus on a small few different lures that will help me hit multiple depths and focus on perfecting my use of those. 

Again, thanks for the input, persistence is gonna play a big part here.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:00 PM, Jefffahfffah said:

Dude 

Sometimes it’s better to watch and learn. If you happen to see some people catching. Stop and watch. 

Striper for the most part like a slow retrieve. 
My suggestion is to stick to one way on fishing at a time and keep it really really simple. 
Don’t get caught up in all the hype.

Eeeeels.......