kinghong1970

Anyone with a 3D printer wanna lend a helping hand?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Long shot on a fishing forum but with the diversity of the community i'm hoping...

with so much shortage of medical supplies, Prusa, a EU based 3D printer manufacturing company shared a file on how to print a Face Shield to help those in the front lines of this crisis.

(please note, this video is version 1 and hence have modified to V2 that puts less stress on the temple of the wearer.

I've downloaded the file and tried it.  the design was great but he had some overhangs and required a type of rubber band that has slits in them... i've modified the file so it can accept basic 1/2" rubber band and omitted the forehead vent so that there is no messy overhangs.

IMG_8075.jpg.83f6a759daa52ddb83821d977c4a5658.jpgIMG_8076.jpg.96250f0ac8e61750638ff0ed4935286a.jpgIMG_8095.jpg.5f4a7966344fe377554b1ce73fa72075.jpg

sorry, need a hair cut bad...

the face shield material can be purchased at McMaster dot com

item number 8657K92

Polyester Plastic

(this is currently out of stock but thinner plastic sheet works and basically anyone can get creative!)

IMG_8096.jpg.b5a64cc55fa88dd7b87a28cdf1a498ba.jpgIMG_8101.jpg.0781fe9c4f3407072075973a808fba7c.jpg

some cushion pad is basic insulation strips with adhesive, i'm using 3/4" wide strip shown below, cut to 10"

IMG_8103.jpg.dd4e50713d4e3d536fc2b875c779e91f.jpgIMG_8104.jpg.18739fb57656a37c16c5b15526b02f45.jpg

Elastic band is 3/4" but the design works with 1/2" also.

length of E-Band is 14" cut at bias and burned at ends to help with fraying and to help insert in the small slits.

IMG_8105.jpg.be75abf02dfc6b67d3d6910de3b93681.jpgIMG_8106.jpg.43a1d833839e1e20325a31eb1a7c884b.jpg

basically insert in the front hole and back through the back hole and the friction lock will work to help keep the band in place.

IMG_8107.jpg.8cffe675e2eb431728a9f975c806a91a.jpgIMG_8108.jpg.79a8b6ec3f92129bf2044b9adfe0bc53.jpg

anyone got a 3D printer, let me know and i can share the CAD and STL files.

when i get home, i'll try to upload the STL file here too!

i've just finished my first batch of 10 and sending it to a buddy anesthesiologist up in the MA/Boston area.

i don't know how much filament i have left but i have some shield material.  

let me know if you have anyone in the front lines that can use this and i can try to send out another batch as soon as it gets done.

sadly, this is a 3hr print job... 

thanks.

Al

Edited by kinghong1970

a company in Pennsauken NJ is making them . 300 shields per sheet. he said they should be ready to ship out today.

they claim they are only making a small profit. 

good luck.

Just now, coolhandfluke said:

a company in Pennsauken NJ is making them . 300 shields per sheet. he said they should be ready to ship out today.

they claim they are only making a small profit. 

good luck.

the film was $45 at McMaster... and a roll of filament about $50 because i have on hand those stupid expensive filaments from europe... 

and i don't even know what that foam strip cost me... 

but i'm headed home in an hour and start churning out more shields.... gonna get my kids involved too... 

3 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

the film was $45 at McMaster... and a roll of filament about $50 because i have on hand those stupid expensive filaments from europe... 

and i don't even know what that foam strip cost me... 

but i'm headed home in an hour and start churning out more shields.... gonna get my kids involved too... 

I hope you find success.    help is always needed. my wife is a nurse

3 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

I hope you find success.    help is always needed. my wife is a nurse

Thanks

does your wife need some masks?

im going to try to get another batch done by end of week

4 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

Thanks

does your wife need some masks?

im going to try to get another batch done by end of week

her place has them, but thanks for the offer.

Al, great work.  Thanks for posting.  We are working on face shields and masks, and a "hands free" attachment for doors with pull handles on them as well.   One would basically pull the door with their forearm...  the "first of" came off of the printer this morning.

Unfortunately, I work for a S&P 500 company and can't share without a NDA.  And, I don't want to derail this thread but this guy is doing a great service also:

Find the mask STL file here:

https://firedbycorona.com/

Keep up the great work.  Stay healthy!  God bless.

Edited by Jettyhound

2 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

*snip*

Find the mask STL file here:

https://firedbycorona.com/

Keep up the great work.  Stay healthy!

yea the idea of using Hepa Filter did cross my mind... filters, film materials are running low.

i also heard using Filtrete 2800 but that's only a MERV rating of 18 at best...

damn... i want a resin printer... 

i'm going to get this batch of shield for Hackensack done... someone i know is making a drop on Tuesday.

thanks for the link!

Is sealing area on the forehead area necessary from a medical perspective?

If you are strictly 3d printing, would it be a lot more efficient printing 2 separate flat strip and then joint the using rivet or bolt with locking nut at the two end point? You could filled the whole print bed with strips instead of just one or two.

That being said,  the average Joe without a 3d printer could do the same if the could find the plastic strip for the skeleton material, bolt locking nut for connection, thin plexiglas, glue... etc if they have a material build sheet.....

9 mins ago, hobobob said:

If you are strictly 3d printing, would it be a lot more efficient printing 2 separate flat strip and then joint the using rivet or bolt with locking nut at the two end point? You could filled the whole print bed with strips instead of just one or two.

That being said,  the average Joe without a 3d printer could do the same if the could find the plastic strip for the skeleton material, bolt locking nut for connection, thin plexiglas, glue... etc if they have a material build sheet.....

Running off to get more supplies

will respond later

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Ok, just placed some order for additional supplies...

3D printers churning away so...

you do bring up an interesting point...

3D printing, though i've been doing this for couple of years, it's still a work in progress for me.

there are benefits and drawbacks to this...

you can visualize it, print it and it's great...

it takes too long to print...

the idea of using strips did cross my mind... i have tried with couple of pieces of HDPE and whatever plastic i have on hand... did not have a riveting machine at home... one at office is too heavy to bring... then using bolts or i actually have push pins that lock, but you can feel it on the forehead...

need 3 strips, 1 to wrap around the forehead, 2 to bump out the shield away from face to make room for mask, 3 to further bump shield outwards so it's not too curvy around face and gear...

anyways, this was the file i found that was somewhat easy to manipulate and revise on CAD.

as to filling the top area, thought did cross my mind but it would mean a longer print job and what i'm sending is much better than this... i hope.

IMG_3303.JPEG.d91ab38826e9fcb63cef20f2ad064252.JPEG

ingenious but i hoped that i can help in any way... it's purpose is to serve as a splash/splatter shield...

Edited by kinghong1970