Trout fishing anyone??

Rate this topic

Look on the state webpage regarding where fish are stocked for where and when.  Usually the majority are quickly picked off pretty quickly, but there's the possibility of winter holdovers.  Crush your barbs, and if possible let them go.  I loves to tangle with the trout, but after tasting saltwater fish, all sweetwater fish (except maybe crappie and some catfish) are all muddy tasting.  Go light, very light and you'll be surprised.  If you know how to fly fish, try the Connie (call to see if they're open in the Covid scare) just watch the rules regarding the tackle (fly only, no egg patterns and crush the barbs).  Caleb Smith normally opens later in April (also fly only), but again, call with the covid restrictions. 

Like saltwater, the fresh has it's pros and regulars, and it ain't easy being a fish anywhere on the island, between the sharpies and the birds, etc.  But look around, Suffolk has some amazing terrain, find some and enjoy it before they develop it.  Also, watch the ticks!   The father east you go, the more you must be careful.  Enjoy, and good luck

Most of the stockies are picked clean within the first week. Guys are literally waiting for the trucks to show up at the shore, rod in hand. They die from shock the first day or two or people who just need to eat a full bucket of farm raised pellet fed stock fish (honestly, not that tasty). There are some holdovers but nothing to write home about. They're ridiculously easy (but fun) to catch on super light tackle, they'll eat pretty much anything (I use biscuit dough or wax worms).

If you fly fish, I'd suggest trying caleb Smith or connetquot for a real challenge. 

I was out looking for river herring on a Suffolk County stream yesterday, and on one stream saw an angler catch two trout inside 15 minutes, so some are still around.  Not out as far as you're talking about, though.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Most Suffolk and Nassau County locations currently available are getting a lot of sudden attention because of the uptick in unemployment and peeps working from home. Stockings have been done I believe, not sure. Many stock on a schedule, not just one shot. April 1st is not far away so a lot more opportunities will open.

I fish occasionally in NJ too. There are some C&R year round options but it's "Essential Driving Only" in NJ and it sounds like they are enforcing it. There are some stripers about but it's hit or miss.

Nassau is a slaughter - I live in walking distance to a VERY popular stocked reservoir in Nassau and social distancing went out the window.

Shoulder to shoulder with kids, grandparents... a real $hit show.

DEC (same blonde chic as usual ) was in the parking lot when I walked by, looked like she was taking a break and probably going back in and out every so often.

I always wonder why NYS stocks trout when they could be stocking largemouth bass and panfish. So many lakes in Nassau and sufflock county need to be restocked because the bucket brigade got to them all. Tired of going to these Nassau lake and ponds and catching nothing or very dinky bass. Occassionally I got a proper pickerel but again it is not common.

I could not come up with anything so...

visited a local east end river to throw jigs at schoolies / perch, an ECON officer was watching 8 LL Bean sweater wearing mofos…. everyone had the salt/fresh license. Yet the western hot spots will go unpatrolled, ive only encountered an ECON once in Nassau county.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, Fishing-Addict said:

I always wonder why NYS stocks trout when they could be stocking largemouth bass and panfish. So many lakes in Nassau and sufflock county need to be restocked because the bucket brigade got to them all. Tired of going to these Nassau lake and ponds and catching nothing or very dinky bass. Occassionally I got a proper pickerel but again it is not common.

I've often wondered the same thing,  Why stock non-native fish that can't survive a Long Island summer, when pickerel, yellow perch, pumpkinseeds, white perch, etc. are native here and, with proper management measures, could thrive year-round.

You can't tell me that a newly-stocked brown trout fights harder than a pickerel or tastes better than a perch, making the logic of stocking them somewhat fuzzy.  Particularly when, eiother way, you're primarily catering to a corn/worms/Trout Bites crowd, and except in three spring creeks aren't trying to support fly fishing, etc.  (although fly fishing for native species can be interesting, too).

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams