scoobydoo

Interesting day on the water.....

34 posts in this topic

I've been doing well with largies for the past 3 weeks....3 fish over 6...lots of 4s....

With all the rivers closed for stocking today.....(which ****ing sucks......)

 

I pulled an audible...and decided to hit a little kids park pond....and wouldn't ya know it................CLOSED...stocking....(ughhh....)

 

SO I went to a neighboring puddle.....slogged through all the mud to a shallow corner and caught the first fish of the day......Dink...1

A teenager... rod and reel in hand comes up to me and asks me if I could rig his bait...

Zman TRD and Zman shroom head...(ned rig)..I risked my life rigging that bait  #coronatime

I was thinking to myself...No way would that work here....way too shallow....muddy water with 4" of visability.....algae everywhere and tree branches galore......

 

Anyway..........40 fish and 4 hours later....Fishing the same 50 x 50 cove that's no more than 2' deep in the deepest spot......we're still slamming fish........Ranging from 6 to 14"    

Another 15 fish later  Kid nails a solid 5lb mega chunk....If this fish was 20" it would have been 7lbs...One of the tankiest 18" fish I've seen in a looong time.crazy gut, solid and dense....

 

We were casting in the same lanes for hours....something I probably haven't done in 30 years for bass...so many fish, hits etc.

All from the same tiny section of water....That didn't care about us dragging their buddies away....dragging branches.....hundreds of casts.....

 

I'm a chubby chaser and prefer to leave the dinks alone to grow......normally I'd have left after an hour...I was trying to dial in some rigging methods and the aggressive fish were helpful..and chubby chaser or not....catching fish is fun!

 

The point of this post.....

Besides fishing is fun as hell...and it's awesome to see a kid into the sport and not into fortnite.....

Is HOLY **** that NED RIG is for real.

I can't explain it...no idea what makes it special....I've experienced it first hand....and seeing how effective it proved to be in situations where I'd never think to throw an exposed hook bait.....BLEW MY MIND.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

 

Is HOLY **** that NED RIG is for real.

I can't explain it..

 

 

I remember we had a conversation here about a month ago where you said you just could not sit there barely moving a Ned rig as if it was not really fishing. I understand because I don’t have much patience. However I caught my biggest smallmouth on Ned’s last year. 

 

Speaking of smilies ... sending you a pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I've been doing well with largies for the past 3 weeks....3 fish over 6...lots of 4s....

With all the rivers closed for stocking today.....(which ****ing sucks......)

 

I pulled an audible...and decided to hit a little kids park pond....and wouldn't ya know it................CLOSED...stocking....(ughhh....)

 

SO I went to a neighboring puddle.....slogged through all the mud to a shallow corner and caught the first fish of the day......Dink...1

A teenager... rod and reel in hand comes up to me and asks me if I could rig his bait...

Zman TRD and Zman shroom head...(ned rig)..I risked my life rigging that bait  #coronatime

I was thinking to myself...No way would that work here....way too shallow....muddy water with 4" of visability.....algae everywhere and tree branches galore......

 

Anyway..........40 fish and 4 hours later....Fishing the same 50 x 50 cove that's no more than 2' deep in the deepest spot......we're still slamming fish........Ranging from 6 to 14"    

Another 15 fish later  Kid nails a solid 5lb mega chunk....If this fish was 20" it would have been 7lbs...One of the tankiest 18" fish I've seen in a looong time.crazy gut, solid and dense....

 

We were casting in the same lanes for hours....something I probably haven't done in 30 years for bass...so many fish, hits etc.

All from the same tiny section of water....That didn't care about us dragging their buddies away....dragging branches.....hundreds of casts.....

 

I'm a chubby chaser and prefer to leave the dinks alone to grow......normally I'd have left after an hour...I was trying to dial in some rigging methods and the aggressive fish were helpful..and chubby chaser or not....catching fish is fun!

 

The point of this post.....

Besides fishing is fun as hell...and it's awesome to see a kid into the sport and not into fortnite.....

Is HOLY **** that NED RIG is for real.

I can't explain it...no idea what makes it special....I've experienced it first hand....and seeing how effective it proved to be in situations where I'd never think to throw an exposed hook bait.....BLEW MY MIND.

 

 

Sounds like a fun day on the water. Glad the kid did well too. Hat's off to you for helping that kids out. Thanks for sharing!

I'd have probably kept a distance.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a conversation with a guy yesterday about this, he said the same exact thing. What makes these different than regular ball heads? Other than the shape of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I just had a conversation with a guy yesterday about this, he said the same exact thing. What makes these different than regular ball heads? Other than the shape of course.

I am no expert but I can share my experience with them so far. Last year was the first time I used them....

 

The flat head allows the ned rig to stand up. Plus, there are some ned rig options from z-man that float a bit which really helps make the rig stand on end.

 

So when you stop your retrieve, it stands there and the end of the rig is waiving around in the water which is a better way to attract the fish vs it laying flat.

 

There are multiple times in this video where they share various techniques on how to fish with it. Underwater camera showing you the action.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I've been doing well with largies for the past 3 weeks....3 fish over 6...lots of 4s....

With all the rivers closed for stocking today.....(which ****ing sucks......)

 

I pulled an audible...and decided to hit a little kids park pond....and wouldn't ya know it................CLOSED...stocking....(ughhh....)

 

SO I went to a neighboring puddle.....slogged through all the mud to a shallow corner and caught the first fish of the day......Dink...1

A teenager... rod and reel in hand comes up to me and asks me if I could rig his bait...

Zman TRD and Zman shroom head...(ned rig)..I risked my life rigging that bait  #coronatime

I was thinking to myself...No way would that work here....way too shallow....muddy water with 4" of visability.....algae everywhere and tree branches galore......

 

Anyway..........40 fish and 4 hours later....Fishing the same 50 x 50 cove that's no more than 2' deep in the deepest spot......we're still slamming fish........Ranging from 6 to 14"    

Another 15 fish later  Kid nails a solid 5lb mega chunk....If this fish was 20" it would have been 7lbs...One of the tankiest 18" fish I've seen in a looong time.crazy gut, solid and dense....

 

We were casting in the same lanes for hours....something I probably haven't done in 30 years for bass...so many fish, hits etc.

All from the same tiny section of water....That didn't care about us dragging their buddies away....dragging branches.....hundreds of casts.....

 

I'm a chubby chaser and prefer to leave the dinks alone to grow......normally I'd have left after an hour...I was trying to dial in some rigging methods and the aggressive fish were helpful..and chubby chaser or not....catching fish is fun!

 

The point of this post.....

Besides fishing is fun as hell...and it's awesome to see a kid into the sport and not into fortnite.....

Is HOLY **** that NED RIG is for real.

I can't explain it...no idea what makes it special....I've experienced it first hand....and seeing how effective it proved to be in situations where I'd never think to throw an exposed hook bait.....BLEW MY MIND.

 

 

The ned rig is awesome, that and drop shot are just next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I am no expert but I can share my experience with them so far. Last year was the first time I used them....

 

The flat head allows the ned rig to stand up. Plus, there are some ned rig options from z-man that float a bit which really helps make the rig stand on end.

 

So when you stop your retrieve, it stands there and the end of the rig is waiving around in the water which is a better way to attract the fish vs it laying flat.

 

There are multiple times in this video where they share various techniques on how to fish with it. Underwater camera showing you the action.

 

 

Huh.... lookit that chit. I'm in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I just had a conversation with a guy yesterday about this, he said the same exact thing. What makes these different than regular ball heads? Other than the shape of course.

No clue...

I never bottom bounced a ned rig.....way too snag prone...

 

I've only seen it and used it on a straight retrieve.

 

The flat head does displace water....it does have a slight wave back and forth on a retrieve.....But nothing insane

 

If you attach it using a clip it will spin....so tie direct. (found that a bit odd)

 

No rhyme or reason why it produces so well.....Standing next to my buddy last year......beating the same stretch of river.....I would cast over his head and catch.....cast upstream and walk behind him downstream...and boom...Trout...smallies...

 

But I find it incredibly boring to fish....the only techniques I find more boring are throwing senkos and spybaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

No rhyme or reason why it produces so well.....Standing next to my buddy last year......beating the same stretch of river.....I would cast over his head and catch.....cast upstream and walk behind him downstream...and boom...Trout...smallies...

So you've caught trout swimming a ned rig? I was wondering if they would catch trout.

Thanks.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 6:35 AM, jjdbike said:

So you've caught trout swimming a ned rig? I was wondering if they would catch trout.

Thanks.

JD

Not just caught.....CRUSHED!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Just placed an order for some,

Oh wow,

I thought I was bad.... just kidding, I didn’t get to it yet:)
Let us know how you do.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.