Roccus7

Maine Shutting Down All "Non-Essential" Businesses

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not sure how this affects recreational fishing.  I bought a commercial license years ago because the 5% savings I get a Hamilton more than covers the license fee, so it's also a "Get Out of Jail" card now too...

Please see the press release below published earlier today by Governor Mills regarding an executive order to protect public health. The executive order is attached to this notice.

NOTE that food processing, fishing and aquaculture are considered essential services under the executive order and shall continue their activities consistent with guidance on social distancing included in the order.

Please review the attached executive order for details. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 24, 2020

*Please note, a copy of the Executive Order is now attached.*

Governor Mills Orders Further Steps to Protect Public Health

Governor also urges large essential businesses to limit in-store customers, enhance curbside pick-up and delivery services, and implement physical distancing measures to protect customer and employee health

Augusta, MAINE  Under the authority granted to her during a State of Civil Emergency, Governor Janet Mills today issued an Executive Order mandating that all non-essential businesses and operations in Maine close their physical locations that are public facing, meaning those that allow customer, vendor or other in-person contact. The Order also closes non-essential business sites that require more than ten workers to convene in a space where physical distancing is not possible. Non-essential businesses and operations may continue activities that do not involve these types of in-person contact and convenings, and should facilitate the maximum number of employees working remotely.

The Order is effective tomorrow, March 25, 2020 at 12:01 a.m. and extends for a period of 14 days through April 8, 2020 at 12:00 a.m.

It solidifies as a mandate her previous recommendation to close non-essential business sites.

Governor Mills also strongly urged all large, essential, public-facing businesses to immediately employ strategies to reduce congestion in their stores, including limiting the number of customers in the store at any one time and enhancing curbside pick-up and delivery services. These measures, aimed specifically at high-traffic retail stores in Maine that provide essential goods and services, seek to better protect both customers and employees from the threat of COVID-19.

“Today, I am taking further action to mitigate the spread of the virus, to protect the healt

Edited by Roccus7

Yeah, guess I over reacted, thanks, but it is a "Stay At Home" order so not sure exactly what you'd call that...

Edited by Roccus7

I call it go fishing absolutely! Wish I had a way to get fresh haddock. As long as you're safe! I check the beaches everyday (Cape to Scarborough "Sunday" drive) and there are people flocking there and acting in ignorance of how a virus is spread. Dogs can spread it but luckily can't be affected by it. I find it infuriating that people can't chill for a couple weeks. Adapt and overcome. Its not about stopping the virus its about making sure we have all the ventilators we need for whoever needs them. I have a lot of empathy for the sick, Ive seen people die from lung disease and auto immune disorders. Its slow and painful.

“ public facing, meaning those that allow customer, vendor or other in-person contact. The Order also closes non-essential business sites that require more than ten workers to convene in a space where physical distancing is not possible “

seams like many could stay open...

Edited by Tlacey21walden
Xyzzy

Seems like this particular order applies only to non-essential businesses, not non-essential travel. The bigger "threat" to rec fishing may be beach closures ordered by individual towns. I don't know whether beach closures would affect boat ramps adjacent to beaches. 

10 hours ago, bdowning said:

Seems like this particular order applies only to non-essential businesses, not non-essential travel. The bigger "threat" to rec fishing may be beach closures ordered by individual towns. I don't know whether beach closures would affect boat ramps adjacent to beaches. 

Possible I would think

Effective Friday, March 27 at 12:01 am, the following Midcoast and Southern Maine coastal State Parks and beaches are closed until April 8: Reid State Park, Popham Beach State Park, Fort Popham, Fort Baldwin, Kettle Cove State Park, Two Lights State Park, Crescent Beach State Park, Scarborough Beach State Park, Ferry Beach State Park, and Mackworth Island. (Note that the closure could be extended depending on the spread of the potentially deadly virus.) Read Full Press Release

I've already made my plans. I'll be dropped off at night at a UDL, I can mostly walk in the dark no lights, social distancing will be a non issue. :v:

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

KTP thinks it's essential, I disagree,  they're wrong. They're not even close to federal guidelines of essential businesses and services.

They're not gouging prices, but come on they only open for one reason..."Opportunity"

18 mins ago, iphish said:

KTP thinks it's essential, I disagree,  they're wrong. They're not even close to federal guidelines of essential businesses and services.

They're not gouging prices, but come on they only open for one reason..."Opportunity"

State and towns mandating the "Essential Business" provisions, and since they support FISHING (Commercial I assume), they meet the requirement of supporting an essential business since they do have gear like long line hooks, tuna rods/reels that commercial fishermen use.  All the boat yards and boat builders can stay open.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just stating facts.  Glad boat yards are still good to go, my boat's bottom is getting painted as we type.  As soon as she done and I get her home, I don't give a rat's azz how they define essential...