fishing bum wannabe

Pop rivets

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have an old Grumman sport boat that uses pop rivets to fasten the covers over the side insulation. They are not structural, just holding the covers in place. About a half dozen are missing. They seem to break from flexing of the boat. My question is can I use stainless pop rivets instead of aluminum? I’m not sure if there would be electrolysis issues, but they would be much stronger.

Stainless and aluminum do not play well together in a wet environment, especially a salty wet environment. Stick with aluminum rivets; the manufacturer used them for good reasons. 

Three cheers for keeping a perfectly good boat in service.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can use ss.  There may be slight galvanic corrosion but should not be a big issue.  But if there is enough stress to break the alum rivet then the next weakest link is gonna be the covers which make crack around the rivets 

How about ss nut and bolt with metal and plastic washers?

Edited by Captain Ahab

I don’t have access to use a nut. I’m thinking if I enlarge the hole in the covers slightly, then use ss screws with a flat nylon and a stainless washers  to allow slight movement without breaking, like the rivets did.

BUM,

I have used stainless (1/4") rivets extensively mounting stainless and aluminum fitting on a aluminum sailboat mast.

Just apply some barrier in the hole before you install the rivet if you are worried.  Like a heavy marine caulking (5200) or even a thickened epoxy which I used just to make bond more secure.

manufactures use alum rivets for 2 reasons.  They are very cheap vs ss - they are MUCH easier to set than ss.  For my 1/4" ss rivets I used a 30" gun

Herb

Edited by HL

I bought an air powered hydraulic rivet gun and 1/4" aluminum rivets at harbor freight.  With the coupons/sale it was maybe $45 when I got it.  Or less.

It's the cat's ass

Edited by jkrock