RyanJ_88

Penn Battle 2 Issue (Bail?)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I went to use a Penn Battle 2 I’ve been using from last few years after it sat this winter and when I went to throw a lure I noticed I’m getting the bail opening/closing on its own when I throwing lures or put any momentum on the reel. Then today I’m sitting here and when I stop it hard from a fast turn, you can hear it almost release the bail and the bail re-engage, it’s weird. I haven't had any issues with this reel and I’ve maintained the internals pretty well, but I’ve never done anything to or for the bail-arm or anything around there. So I’ve attached the video would love to hear anyone’s thoughts why this is happening. Thanks guys! 

IMG_2483.MOV

I can’t open your video so can only offer a guess. There’s a small, stiff spring that keeps the bail closed and snaps it shut when appropriate. That has probably gotten knocked out of place during your reel’s travels. An easy fix and a good opportunity to get acquainted with your reel’s innards.

Helpful Hint: TAKE MANY PICTURES while you disassemble it. 

LockedDrag is right. I make all my Penn reels manual bail pick up. For chunking bait I would leave the bail on. It's a simple job to do taking the bail spring out . I think it's part # 28  on the schematic.

Just remove the trip lever that resides in the rotor.

You need to remove the rotor from the body to do this.   Be careful opening the cover because the spring in there can go flying into the multiverse....

This is the piece you need to take out,

IMG_20200326_140724.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Just remove the trip lever that resides in the rotor.

You need to remove the rotor from the body to do this.   Be careful opening the cover because the spring in there can go flying into the multiverse....

This is the piece you need to take out,

IMG_20200326_140724.jpg

That is the part.What I did was I lifted the bail just on that side , removed long plate that covers bail spring and that part. Lift spring catch and remove trip lever. When putting the bail back on just make sure the spring catch fits back in the bail arm groove . Then bail will move all the way open and to close.

Edited by hunter123

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, pakalolo said:

is there a bailess conversion kit for your reel? No need for a bail, ever.:howdy:

To be fair I bought a Salt-X 6k and already converted it to bail-less, never looking back. This will be a backup or for one of my buddies who doesn't really fish to use. 

Edited by RyanJ_88

Just an FYI.  On my original slammer 360 had the same issues and removed the bail trip as all have mentioned.  I noticed a distinct wobble/unbalance in the rotor while cranking.  I wound up grinding off the short leg IIRC and reinstalling the part.  Without the short leg, it would not activate the auto trip, and maintained proper balance eliminating the wobble.  Just in case you experience the same