jjdbike

Does Wolf's order, allow fishing?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Wolf has several counties on stay at home orders. These counties include Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Monroe, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties. In the list of allowable exceptions includes - "Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking or running if they maintain social distancing".

What do you folks think?

My concerns are that some knuckle head will get too close and caught on me when I'm not paying attention or on a narrow section of trail, or touch a contaminated surface and unknowingly tough my mouth of nose, for instance while fueling or the like.

Like I've written in other posts, unfortunately my wife is in high risk category. If she got exposed, she'd be in real trouble.

JD

Fishing is considered outdoor activity so I don't think law enforcement will give fisherman a hard time... for now. Just gotta be cautious and stay as far away as possible from others. If I was living with someone high risk I would probably just stay home. As always better safe than sorry. 

19 hours ago, cec127 said:

Fishing is considered outdoor activity so I don't think law enforcement will give fisherman a hard time... for now. Just gotta be cautious and stay as far away as possible from others. If I was living with someone high risk I would probably just stay home. As always better safe than sorry. 

Thanks cec.

I sent a message to Gov's office with this question. I'll let you know if they reply.

JD

JD Please let us know the response. I was wondering the same thing, figured it was a better idea to stay local and fish PA rather than run to NJ and hit the spring run. Was hoping to kayak fish tomorrow and I assume its okay as its an outdoor activity but was not 100% sure. 

24 mins ago, crzynate25 said:

JD Please let us know the response. I was wondering the same thing, figured it was a better idea to stay local and fish PA rather than run to NJ and hit the spring run. Was hoping to kayak fish tomorrow and I assume its okay as its an outdoor activity but was not 100% sure. 

Will do.

Nothing yet.

JD

1 hour ago, crzynate25 said:

Pretty sure NJ brass are coming after us out of staters. If not for that there's little reason I'd be fishing in PA right now.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, cec127 said:

18 hours ago, crzynate25 said:

17 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Pretty sure NJ brass are coming after us out of staters. If not for that there's little reason I'd be fishing in PA right now.

10 hours ago, Starsnstripes said:

Just wear a pair of hiking boots...Fishing while hiking  : )

This is part of the response I received at 5:04 pm yesterday, i.e. Weds 3/25. I'm guessing that pretty much means no fishing. Other might interpret it differently. In my opinion two things matter. 1st, staying healthy and safe is job one. God forbid one gets injured and needs medical attention now. I have a neighbor who is a semi-pro cyclist. She says she and her cycle friends have collectively decided to not bike during this crisis to limit chance of needing medical attention. We have a couple local cycle teams & clubs and often see them cycling individually and as a team. Haven't seen any of them for weeks. 2nd, how the law enforcement agent whom you might encounter interprets it.

Stay safe & healthy.

JD

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

AMENDMENT TO THE ORDER OF

The first sentence of Section 1 of that Order is amended to read: 

All individuals residing in Allegheny County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Erie County, Lehigh County, Monroe County, Montgomery County, Northampton County, and Philadelphia County are ordered to stay at home except as needed to access, support, or provide life sustaining business, emergency, or government services.

In addition, an additional sentence is added to the end of Section 1 as follows:

Enforcement of this Order with respect to Lehigh and Northampton Counties will commence at 8:00 PM on March 25, 2020.

The Order remains unchanged in every other respect.

GIVEN under my hand and the Seal of the Governor, at the city of Harrisburg, on this twenty- fifth day of March two thousand twenty, the year of the commonwealth the two hundred and forty- fourth.

TOM WOLF Governor

THE GOVERNOR OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA FOR INDIVIDUALS TO STAY AT HOME

I hereby amend my Order directing “Individuals to Stay at Home” dated March 23, 2020, as amended March 24, 2020.

Edited by jjdbike

you can fish in pa. plenty of people out sunday and most were spread out. talk to conservation office in parking lot and he didn't seem to care at all. said they been to busy stocking the trout for the delayed  opener.

Lots of places to find trout, and if you're willing to hike into areas away from the parks and main roads, you'll likely escape the crowds.

Get there at first light for both better action and fewer people.

I prefer walleye, crappie, and perch, but I don't mind nabbing a few trout now and then for easy dinners :) 

The county I'm in does not have the stay at home order yet, but even for the counties that have it, it states that "outdoor activities" are allowed as long as social distancing is used. I'm thinking that opening day on the 18th is going to test that rule. Some places I fish will be shoulder to shoulder. I'm hoping they don't cancel it altogether before the opener arrives, but wouldn't be surprised.

I've been considering a little trip down to West Virginia this weekend for a few hours of fishing just to get away from the insanity for a bit, but not sure if I should or not? On the one hand theres no travel restrictions where I live or in WV at this point. I can get there and back without stopping anywhere even for gas and as far as social distancing, its easy to get away from it all in the hillbilly state. On the other hand I don't want to be one of those who flagrantly ignores the stay at home advisory during this crisis. My family and I haven't left home except for work and grocery trips in 2 weeks +. Also I'd have to cross briefly thru Maryland which entire state is under a major lockdown right now and my Pennsylvania plates might not be welcome. Hard to know whats the right thing to do right now. 

3 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Hard to know whats the right thing to do right now. 

Agreed.

RE: Trout fishing, I'd like to see more special regulation waters in PA. I believe that you have some nice trout waters in your area, is that right?

I've been out twice so far. 1st time, couple weeks ago (special reg area) was pretty crowded, way to crowded for me. Second time was yesterday early morning. It was chilly, damp, foggy, the water was high & chocolate milk and I bushwhacked a creek section (special reg) that hasn't been stocked yet. No one! No tout, only fall fish, but it was what the Dr. Ordered. I drove past the area that was stocked, too many people for my comfort (even in those conditions).

JD

21 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Agreed.

RE: Trout fishing, I'd like to see more special regulation waters in PA. I believe that you have some nice trout waters in your area, is that right?

I've been out twice so far. 1st time, couple weeks ago (special reg area) was pretty crowded, way to crowded for me. Second time was yesterday early morning. It was chilly, damp, foggy, the water was high & chocolate milk and I bushwhacked a creek section (special reg) that hasn't been stocked yet. No one! No tout, only fall fish, but it was what the Dr. Ordered. I drove past the area that was stocked, too many people for my comfort (even in those conditions).

JD

Theres some good water here.....depending on what type of fishing you like. I release pretty much everything I catch and use lures most of the time so special reg waters are ok for me but its really pointless without enforcement. However I am not in favor of more fly fishing only waters. We have enough of those. 

I've done well when I've been out and I've gone alot this year so far with the mild winter we've had. I've got a bad case of cabin fever right now though. I miss having the early opener.

I'm wondering what you were using that you caught fall fish? I usually only get those on live bait. Occasionally they will hit my lure but not often.

So, do you think Wolfe can even have the traditional opener now? There's acouple streams and lakes in my area that get packed.

A good friend and I were talking about this yesterday. It would be safer to at some point just announce trout season is open. Then have a time and date where, crowds would be a huge issue