SurfFishDan

Generic grease in new Conflict II long cast ?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

 

I opened up my never used Penn Conflict II long cast 6000 and found some weird grease in there. See pics below. I was expecting typical Penn blue grease, and there is some of it at the base of the body, below the worm gear, but very little.

The rest of the lube is a stinky redish-brown grease, it's very sticky. Lube is also lacking on the drive gear teeth.

 

So Penn, I ask you this, is this special grease that is put in there because it is a compatible lube with the RR30 body material and the classic blue grease is not?

 

I'm planning on removing all of it and relubricating everything with Super Lube Synthetic grease.

 

 

fullsizeoutput_b49.jpeg.ebb56ff936e3190e161d8eb5b179bcf5.jpeg

 

IMG_2248.JPG.f93f16a87b4916534724186355f4ac6a.JPG

 

fullsizeoutput_b4c.jpeg.65452d280fa6ecfd2c6e2a15eda931b7.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, SurfFishDan said:

Hi,

 

I opened up my never used Penn Conflict II long cast 6000 and found some weird grease in there. See pics below. I was expecting typical Penn blue grease, and there is some of it at the base of the body, below the worm gear, but very little.

The rest of the lube is a stinky redish-brown grease, it's very sticky. Lube is also lacking on the drive gear teeth.

 

So Penn, I ask you this, is this special grease that is put in there because it is a compatible lube with the RR30 body material and the classic blue grease is not?

 

I'm planning on removing all of it and relubricating everything with Super Lube Synthetic grease.

 

 

fullsizeoutput_b49.jpeg.ebb56ff936e3190e161d8eb5b179bcf5.jpeg

 

IMG_2248.JPG.f93f16a87b4916534724186355f4ac6a.JPG

 

fullsizeoutput_b4c.jpeg.65452d280fa6ecfd2c6e2a15eda931b7.jpeg

 

Hmm, that’s strange. I’m curious as well. 

Edited by coastalfreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for Penn to post back to you. I own a lot of Penn spinning reels, I open them all up when I bring them home. All had the Penn blue grease in them. When I lube them after a season I use Yamaha blue grease. I don't have that reel, I just received a Fathom ii 15 sd and it looks like the Penn blue in her. See what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan,

 

I am trying to get an answer for you on the red grease.  Grease pushes to the side on the main gear teeth as is passes through the pinion, you can add more on the teeth but again it'll just push to the side again.  One note about your grease, if you have a warranty issue we will not cover it if we determine you stripped the reel and added your own grease. 

 

tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

One note about your grease, if you have a warranty issue we will not cover it if we determine you stripped the reel and added your own grease.

Thanks Tony,

 

I understand about the warranty. But so far I did not touch the insides.

Is it possible that this reel was previously sold then serviced (under warranty), repackaged and sent out to be sold again, by Amazon? Maybe a demo reel?

I bought it on Amazon.ca last Fall. When I received it there was a couple of issues.

1) The drag knob has nothing written on it. Suppose to be written HT-100, right?

2) The carbon cosmetic sticker of the side plate (where you can read gear ratio, etc), is upside down. can't explain this one...

3) The side plate had some tiny scuffs at the bottom... (figured it came from the handle, which was loose in the box and outside the small bubble wrap bag)

4) and now this non blue grease issue

 

It was at great price, but it was definitely sold as a new reel by Amazon themselves (not a vendor). I bought it, spooled it full of 30lbs braid, but never used it. Was looking forward to use it in Florida next week with a 11'6'' rod, but I canceled my trip because of you know what...

Edited by SurfFishDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan,

 

Didn't forget about you, with most of the World being on pause its getting hard to get answers to questions.  We had one of our Engineers pop open his CFT LC reel and saw the same reddish grease.  If you feel your reel was used or returned I would recommend returning it, however like I said it seems that the red grease isn't abnormal (even though it should be blue).  I would recommend using it and if you have any issues it would still be covered under our 1 year warranty. 

 

tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Didn't forget about you, with most of the World being on pause its getting hard to get answers to questions.  We had one of our Engineers pop open his CFT LC reel and saw the same reddish grease.

I understand, no problem at all. ok, I'll use it as it is then.

Thanks. keep me posted if you find out something else!

 

I will had another Penn related interrogation that I have right now: I'm curious to know if my Carnage II 10' MH surf rod is ''compatible'' with a Clash 8000 ? I know the rod stats are for 5000-7500 reels but, wondered how the Clash 8k would work with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.