Drew C.

Euro style nymphing

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, ZAFisher said:

OK. Anyone have a clue what product these guys are marking their mono with?

Look at around 4:33 and take it from there

Skafars neon wax

Hi ZA,

Something like this.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, ZAFisher said:

OK. Anyone have a clue what product these guys are marking their mono with?

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 3.27.19 AM.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, Drew C. said:

Most on the dropper. I was using a lighter colored pheasant tail variant for the dropper, either 16 or 18 and the point fly was a similar fly on a jig hook, size 14. 

Interestingly, almost all of my fish this spring have come on a fly with a metallic orange bead. I’ve tried swapping out point with dropper, orange vs other and pretty much everything has been on the orange regardless of location. I do not have any slotted beads in that color. I have varied the fly color, I’ve done well on black and dark brown. Lately they’ve been lighter. 

Have you tied up some "Frenchie's"?Egan frenchie fly recipe

Frenchie's are just a sparsley tied pheasant tail varient with a collar of ice dubbing or floss for an attractant - I almost exclusively use orange, but others use pink, chartreuse, etc.

Here's a link on how George Daniels ties them:

https://diyflyfishing.com/frenchie-george-daniel/

By using the brightly colored/reflective orange dubbing/floss collar you don't need to have an orange colored bead.

In fast water, a 16 (really fast water)  or 18 (fast water) Frenchie as the dropper is my biggest confidence fly.

In slower water, I still often use it, but a regular pheasant tail may outfish it. (My guess is the fish get a better, longer look and don't need the attractant collar.)

[It is my undertanding that the pattern was used with great success by the French national fly fishing team in European competition - hence the name "Frenchie". The term seems ubiquitous among fly fisherman, and I have not heard of anyone thinking that the term is derogative in any way.]

Edited by charliestriper

On 4/2/2020 at 8:06 PM, derekh said:

Skafars neon wax

George Daniel in his book ‘Nymph Fishing: New Angles, Tactics, and Techniques’ and in his talks at the Marlborough Fly Fishing Show, states he likes to use "limp" sighter material.

He notices the limp sighter material vibrates like a violin string, and the most sensative indication of a take is the sighter material stops vibrating as the trout mouths the fly.

Troutbitten_Floating_the_Sighter_GD-1.jpg

I have to admit, George must have better eyes than mine, but I certainly can see the vibation in the sighter when fishing close in to me. (Hard to see it  vibrating more than about 15 feet away though.)

He says he has tried all the different sighter materials, and that the Rio two tone sighter matierial seems to be the best. Until this, he would actually boil the material to make it more limp, something you can do with any mono. 

Another tip is to leave tags on the sighter if you are tight line fishing at a distance and you are having trouble seeing your sighter.

Also, with the tags, it it easier to see the sighter if you decide to apply floatant to the sighter and "float the sighter" to use it as a subtle indicator if you want to fish the sighter at a longer distance than you can tight line.

(I personally don't like the tags 95% of the time, as I fish a lot of faster water where it is not needed, and the tippet can occasionally catch on these tags.) 

[Because George was in competitive fly fishing himself, and coach of the American team, he has picked up techniques from all over the world.}

Edited by TimS
link

18 hours ago, charliestriper said:

Have you tied up some "Frenchie's"?Egan frenchie fly recipe

Frenchie's are just a sparsley tied pheasant tail varient with a collar of ice dubbing or floss for an attractant - I almost exclusively use orange, but others use pink, chartreuse, etc.

By using the brightly colored/reflective orange dubbing/floss collar you don't need to have an orange colored bead.

In fast water, a 16 (really fast water)  or 18 (fast water) Frenchie as the dropper is my biggest confidence fly.

In slower water, I still often use it, but a regular pheasant tail may outfish it. (My guess is the fish get a better, longer look and don't need the attractant collar.)

[It is my undertanding that the pattern was used with great success by the French national fly fishing team in European competition - hence the name "Frenchie". The term seems ubiquitous among fly fisherman, and I have not heard of anyone thinking that the term is derogative in any way.]

That's more or less what I have been using. My version is a little different.

Edited by TimS
link removed

Gators, baby! I scored a brown today -- indicator nymphing -- that should be measured in pounds rather than ounces.

But well done, you. Great job! Wotta tail on that beastie!

Steve Culton